The Fighty/UFC Thread
  • im off to check out SBG tonight. But i think it will cost too much. I am thinking of going to a diffferent gym and doing BJJ.hmmmm will see. dont fancy going back to TKD for a third time.bwop.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Hulka T wrote:
    MMA gloves feel like shields on your hands hence all the brutal ko's.  Oh and Im a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, not to be confused with traditional JJ, and would totally recommend it for anyone as a means of self defence/fuck mother fuckers up!!

How long have you been doing BJJ?

Didn't think there were too many black belts in the British Isles.
  • Answering Superbly's original question. If you can, get rid of that thing and get a proper hanging bag, the bigger the better. You probably know by now that at the most, you can tickle it before it falls over so practicing striking combos is going to be near impossible. Unless you're just throwing super low speed and learning the movements.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Hulka T wrote:
    MMA gloves feel like shields on your hands hence all the brutal ko's.  Oh and Im a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, not to be confused with traditional JJ, and would totally recommend it for anyone as a means of self defence/fuck mother fuckers up!!
    How long have you been doing BJJ? Didn't think there were too many black belts in the British Isles.

I have been training, ohhh, its 10 years now. Theres about 150 or so BBs in Britain as far as I know.
  • Answering Superbly's original question. If you can, get rid of that thing and get a proper hanging bag, the bigger the better. You probably know by now that at the most, you can tickle it before it falls over so practicing striking combos is going to be near impossible. Unless you're just throwing super low speed and learning the movements.
    ah it can take a beating. The whole base is full of water.There must be 150 litres or so in there. When I hit it quite hard the most that happens is the whole thing slides backwards  a little.
  • OK cool.

I want to know what people's entrance music round be.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Something by the prodigy, can't remember the name of the track. It's got the whippy/chain sound in it.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Not even boxing can help!!!! Do they teach you how to fight rolling around on the floor after a guy just lunges at you and pulls you down?

If you manage to get in a fight where the other guy wants to stand and trade blows, you can use your shit, but this almost never happens, most people fighting end up rolling on the floor or wedged up against a wall/side of a car, whatever, and there's no room to use any if your shit there, even if you are muay thai badman it won't be the same as being in the clinch so you aren't even going to get to smash his kidneys in your knees either.

Seriously, I'm sorry most of you guys think that you will be handier than a random dude in a scrap because 'training'. Rugby players at least learn how to charge at someone and tackle them head first or from behind with the risk of getting booted in the head so they are probably at an advantage compared to your average McDojo dude.

I think you've just described MMA. Barring more than one opponent, ridiculous weight differences and weapons (you can't train for everything unless you're Batman), a well rounded knowledge of striking, wrestling and BJJ (or just one of the three) would put you in a massively advantageous position. Even against a rugby player, assuming he has no combat training. Look at Tank Abbot from the early UFC. Prided himself on being a brawler with a ton of bar fights behind him and disdained the wrestling and ground game. All aggression and plenty of experience and poster boy for real fighting not pussy martial arts, he enjoyed early success but was very soon dispatched pretty easily once the martial arts learned and adapted superior techniques and strategies.

Being in Muay Thai clinch isn't all about knees (and elbows) though. Alot of the time and effort is grappling for a superior position which will be all about throwing the other guy off balance so you can strike or even just tossing them to the floor. But while you're tied up in a clinch, they're not hitting you and presumably second by second your putting yourself in a well practiced drill tiring them out because strength and cardio counts for a ton up close like that.

If your training a proven discipline I'm a gym which allows for sparring then weight for weight, drugs and weapons aside there's no way your training would be of no benefit. Just YouTube amateur fights and you can see how ridiculous an aggressive untrained aggressor is.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Welcome back Lester, lots of sense being said there but don't agree about the heavy bag though. If you can only afford one bag, get a double ender, you can always increase the tension as you choose to strike harder. Then get a heavier bag later to get a feel for how strong your wrists are
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nice to be back!

Good point about the double ender. I was thinking a heavy back so you can drill kicks too but that's my bias! I didn't read it was just punch combos.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    To be fair I'm not sure it's just about punching, I think I just added my own bias. I generally keep legs for thighs to the head in a clinch or straight up boot to the gut if someone looks like wanting to get back up
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Roujin wrote:
    But most of all, I'm angry that people debote brainpower to thinking about they could win in a fight with x,y,z tactics or strategy when this is a forum of grown-ups who should have learned a long time ago that all violence is retarded and that fisticuffs irl are massively fail on all fronts.

I don't know if I'm wasting brainpower but a lot of the times in meetings I imagine that I could destroy everyone in the room and that there would be little they could do to stop me. All that prevents them from meeting their fate is my rational brain. Which is bored as fuck and giving over control to my irrational instincts.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I can't find it, but that's almost word-for-word what a white-collar lawyerman boxer said in a 2003 doco. Dangerous thoughts. Try thinking about fighting a pro heavyweight instead.

Just YouTube amateur fights and you can see how ridiculous an aggressive untrained aggressor is.

Not what he said. You are right about the heavy bag.

cockbeard wrote:
    boot to the gut if someone looks like wanting to get back up

I wouldn't. You're square and off-balance if you're too late and he's able to lunge, and you're in trouble if he grabs your foot. It's only sure-fire if he's knackered, and if he's knackered then you should have a bit more class.

As for Tank, what did you expect? A no-rules man fighting with rules probably isn't going to suit.
  • Escape wrote:
    I can't find it, but that's almost word-for-word what a white-collar lawyerman boxer said in a 2003 doco. Dangerous thoughts. Try thinking about fighting a pro heavyweight instead.

Just YouTube amateur fights and you can see how ridiculous an aggressive untrained aggressor is.

Not what he said. You are right about the heavy bag.

cockbeard wrote:
    boot to the gut if someone looks like wanting to get back up

I wouldn't. You're square and off-balance if you're too late and he's able to lunge, and you're in trouble if he grabs your foot. It's only sure-fire if he's knackered, and if he's knackered then you should have a bit more class.

As for Tank, what did you expect? A no-rules man fighting with rules probably isn't going to suit.

Well I guess it's nice that I'm not alone in my bored moments..?! I've sparred with the heavy weights in my gym and while I like to think I land some cool shots and stuff I don't doubt how one sided it would be if it was a fight.

I thought Roujin was talking about random dudes on the street?

Regards Tank, surely an trained fighter would have even more of an advantage without rules? It just means that they can both dick kick etc.. Especially at that time period in the UFC when there were very few rules anyway.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I thought Roujin was talking about random dudes on the street?

I think he was replying to me? We were agreeing about no-rules fighting being the only prep for no-rules fighting. Trained fighters have a huge advantage over the untrained, of course, and you can learn to mitigate others' advantages, but practice is the best way to become good at it.

And like Cocko says, it's a character thing more than anything. One of my friends is a very talented inactive boxer (he weighs around 200; pretty good shape), but he's too nice to get into fights with randoms.

Regards Tank, surely an trained fighter would have even more of an advantage without rules? It just means that they can both dick kick etc.. Especially at that time period in the UFC when there were very few rules anyway.

Too few bottles, chairs and cues. Tank's stamina was always poor if the fight went on a bit. The sort of big man who's willing to bite, gouge and butt you isn't any sort of man I'd want to fight in some shitty US bar. But if the weight difference wasn't too bad and it was properly reffed, then, er... mayber. Money talks (I wish it'd talk to me some).

Thanks for avoiding a my-dad-could-have-your-dad thread descent.
  • Hey no problem!

I think character only serves as a kind of baseline measurement though. Any 'flaws' can be trained and improved.

The important thing is to pick an effective discipline whether you want to hit someone or strangle someone, whatever, train hard in it and make sure you test it and yourself against resisting opponents. You can then control for a lot of factors. Of course in a street fight or whatever there will be random events but they're random so you can't train for them.

MMA is doing so much to evolve the martial arts it's untrue. Even now, there's a ton effective techniques coming through which were previously discarded as useless. Examples like Tae Kwon-Do spinning kicks sending people to sleep or bodyshot TKOs.

I hope I'm not coming across as some kind of psycho here.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Jiu Jitsu (or bjj) is so effective in the ring because it has a moveset for every range.
    At arms length there's punches and kicks At close range there's elbows, knees, throws, holds and trips. And when tackling there's groundfighting the speciality of judo and bjj. Most fighting disciplines lack the ground aspect of fighting and while standing don't even utilize holds, trips and throws. That's why once a jiu jitsu guy gets in a lock or strangulation on his opponent, (usually on the ground) it's game over.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Nice threads, granddad!

• Anyone catch UFC 179?
    Fuck me that Aldo Mendes match was super.
  • I've missed quite a few UFCs. What do you watch it on?

Did you find a martial art school in the end?
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • I watched it thru nefarious means! Nah didnt find a place. Dont have the money so will need to wait until i can actually afford training.
  • From a couple of weeks ago, this was my 3rd class in after a year off. Round 5 or 6. My timing is off and I'm pretty rusty. Throwing too many inside leg kicks and sometimes TKD style lead leg round houses.

I've since stopped dropping my guard after striking and hold a stronger guard. Also I've been working on my head movement and conditioning. Apart from the kids, I'm the lightest in the class so I usually have to out cardio people and keep throwing to stop them from striking. Works a lot of the time but I feel like dieing at the end of class so I need to figure a more intelligent way to fight.

We're not allowed to kick to the head which is why we break for a few seconds. Also I'm shit at landing harder shots because I feel bad and can't stop apologising afterwards.

Feel free to critique.

[vide
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I think the UFC is on a proper downward spiral now. Over saturation of events, too many champions/big draws picking up injuries. Its probably been the worst year for the sport in a long while. There's been a very good fight or two but they need to re-evaluate. Like anything, a monopoly on the market leads to issues.
  • WOW, CM Punk signs with UFC, didn't see that coming.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Possibly the best card ever last night. Two fights sponsored by Sagat, MacDonald leaving a broken man, and Conor winning in spectacular fashion. I won't bang on about my hate for McGregor, and how much I hope Aldo destroys him, but he's got the skills to back it up.
  • I thought Conor was done in the second when he was getting hammered with elbows, I was really impressed with his resilience.
  • Yeah i though mendes would take him as basically he hadnt fought anyone of a high caliber bar the marginalised siver. He smashed it though was really impressed.

Though mcdonald may take lawler too! Im guessing it was a broken nose the way he crumbled? Bad to see. Guess its lawler hendricks next
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah MacDonald basically has no nose left, that last punch just decimated it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!