101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's not been done well which is why it hasn't taken off, and the reason why it will be a big thing (if it happens) will be because the different platforms allow it.
  • Telegram, Signal or Wickr are likely to be the next big messaging apps, WhatsApp is unlikely to disappear though.

What will be big is when someone creates a properly integrated messaging app that connects to all your messaging apps, including text and social media, and hosts them all in one client.

RIP WP7 & 8 that did just this in the OS. Merged all your social media into one 'People' hub and you could even post and reply in there and it would push it to the relevant platform.

And that shit could play YouTube vids while minimised. Truly a great mobile OS.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • AJ wrote:
    Historically, messaging platforms have had very little hold on people; AIM, MSN, Skype...

Those are PC platforms. Whatsapp is mobile. Thats a key difference.
  • Might be relevant, I suppose there's no real precedent so it's hard to say if others see them in the same way.
  • What’s relevant, I think, is momentum. Mass. Inertia.

There’s a critical mass of people using a service – a point of ubiquity. Facebook, for example. People go there because everybody else is there. Advertisers spend there because the audience is there. Facebook can fuck up as often as they like, be absolute dicks with their abuse of power and privacy as much as they like – no significant proportion of users will care. 

WhatsApp is the same (which is why Facebook bought it). It works because of its ubiquity. My Mum’s on WhatsApp. My vet contacts me with reminders via WhatsApp. So does my dentist. It’s really dug its feet in under the table.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, all that. Especially the bit about Pop’s mum.

:)
  • The CDs in my mother in law's caravan. Not so much the selection - I'm happy to stick on a bit of Tammy Wynette or Glen Campbell - but the fact that every time I reach for one that takes my fancy the case is empty. She's notoriously lazy, but where the fuck do they even go? There are 40-50 CD cases here, and at least ten of the ones I've opened are either missing the disc or contain something else. Ooh, bit of Patsy? Don't mind if I d..Pavarotti?! When I found Tom Jones hiding in a Roy Orbison case I gave up and went back to The Everly Brothers. Which skips because presumably it's been floating around getting scratched since she got it from the local boot sale.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I only had the case for In Utero for years until I eventually gave in and bought another copy. I eventually found the first disc in my Mega CD.

I suppose the lesson there is to check any old cd-based consoles that happen to be lying around.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hanging out waiting for my American Pie CD to re-appear. Have had only the case for a long time and I have it ripped into iTunes - but it's annoying me. I know it will turn up the day I replace it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Have you checked Yoss's Mega CD?
  • Or Moot's mother-in-law's caravan?
  • It's definitely not in the Country Cowboy Classics Collection case. That one is FUCKING EMPTY
  • Maybe she takes them out to stop you using them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Managed to get rid of the smell in the freezer. Some googling helped of course.

After washing down we placed a bowl of bicarbonate of soda in the freezer and switched it on. Smell was gone within a day. Miraculous really.

Doesn't look as if the cable chewer has returned though.  The spark will be back in a week or two as he is up to his eyes at the minute. Can live with that as it's only outside lighting that is affected.

Our brown bin (the one they take food and garden waste in) is ALIVE with maggots.  :(
  • We had maggots today too. Grim.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And because we are on a fortnightly bin cycle (brown + black one week, blue the next) and we are on  a blue week, we have it sitting there until Tuesday morning. It might be walking about itself by then.
  • Wait until you open the lid and a black cloud swarm of flies buzz right into your face.
  • Must be nice knowing that's exactly what awaits the binmen when they finally pick it up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I know - I'll have to leave the lid open Monday night for a while. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

The flies were metallic green looking. Hordes of them buzzed around me when I was transferring the contents of the freezer to the bin. They weren't in the freezer - they just appeared out of nowhere out in the back garden where I was working. Obvs attracted by the smell but they must have come from miles around within minutes.

Googled it and apparantly their maggots are the ones that can be used to clean wounds.

Not a pleasant lifecycle - but these beasties are incredibly useful when you think about it - tidying up any shit or dead animal lying about. It's actually very elegant - lay eggs on dirt that hatch out. They eat up the rubbish then sprout wings and fly away to lay eggs on more dirt.
  • Signalling issue at Piccadilly. Fucking madness here.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah im on my way to Market Street, had to wait 20 minutes for a met
  • The trains wifi blocks the forum. Its the exact same wifi as the last train, which didnt block it
  • Yeah im on my way to Market Street, had to wait 20 minutes for a met

We need to grab a beer soon.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Would be a good idea lad
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Enough of your traffic light entanglements.

More maggots please.
  • Had enough of maggots and flies after getting rid of rats in my loft.  

Back to mobile phones for me.  My current annoyance is of the HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO ACTIVATE A SIM? nature.  Got my replacement sim through today (£3.60, the wankers), tried to activate using another phone at 3pm.  If you ring Orange you get put through to EE, but if you're an Orange customer (like me) they need to put you through to Orange.  So we did that for a bit, I eventually got through to Glen who wanted a password (nope), went through a series of security questions and was told it would take thirty mins to two hours to activate.  Rang up after four hours of no service.  Went through the pass the customer thing again, spoke to Glen again, didn't have a password again, passed the security questions again.  Then he couldn't find my account, then he found it, then he said he could see what had happened and it should be up and running in a few minutes.  This was at 7pm and it's not up and running yet.  They close at 9pm, but I'm not sure I can be bothered again tonight.  It's in the same model of phone it was in before, I had one in a drawer.
  • Model of phone should make no difference to activating a SIM.
  • Glen does though. Wait until tomorrow and call back, you might get Spencer. He'll have it sorted.
  • I didn't mind Glen though.  Hopefully he gets another crack at it tomorrow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Had enough of maggots and flies after getting rid of rats in my loft.   

Yikes.

In other news - our piano started making sounds the other night. One suggestion from Wifey was that there was a mouse in it.

Cue me thinking about getting a cat to play upon the keys......

Piano has been silent since.  :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!