101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • It can take up to 24 hours to activate, but usually doesnt.

If you havent yet, switch it off and back on again, sometimes you need to force it to check again.
  • Cheers, it's sorted now.  Apparently my handset had been blacklisted and no-one knows why.  I was using it for years until the screen cracked, so it's not like I reported it lost/stolen or anything, I just put the existing chip in another handset (the one I lost, same model).  I'll be getting a new one shortly anyway, which I've been told has to be either unlocked or Orange (not EE).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Why the shit does every bit of furniture or thing I have to assemble have a mixture of Phillips head screws and slotted head screws? Why can't it all be just one or the other?
  • Not sure where to put this so I'll just carry on with the phone stuff in here.  I can't see what I'm doing on my old old Samsung phone as the screen is held in with cellotape.  I've decided to give up on buttons to join the touchscreen revolution and I quite like the look/price of the handset AJ mentioned a couple of pages back:

Nokia 1

A few questions though, apologies for being a phone numpty.  Does Sim-free mean unlocked, as in I can put my orange chip in it and I'm ready to roll (it's a big-ish one with a corner missing)?  Would I have to charge it every day?  Will WhatsApp work in a no reception zone if I'm connected to WiFi?  I stopped getting reception in my part of the office in June, as did everyone else on EE/T Mobile/Orange/whatever the fuck it is, so having a working WhatsApp would mean I'm no longer in a dead zone for most of the day.  

Thanks in advance.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What's app works fine via either Wi-Fi or mobile internet.

You will probably have to charge every day, yes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Does Sim-free mean unlocked, as in I can put my orange chip in it and I'm ready to roll

Yes.

(it's a big-ish one with a corner missing)? 

Not sure about SIM size.

Would I have to charge it every day?

According to the description you will, but depends on usage.

Will WhatsApp work in a no reception zone if I'm connected to WiFi?

Should do, yes. It does on my iPhone, can’t see why it wouldn’t here. 

Also, this has just come out for similar moneys and is getting positive reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-8110-Mobile-Phone-Black/dp/B07FY7HRHF/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535194546&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=nokia+8110&dpPl=1&dpID=31AuacbJTJL&ref=plSrch

Plus it was in the Matrix so is cool.
  • Hmm you might need to get a new sim. That phone takes a micro or nano sim and the picture you shared looks like the old style jumbo sims.

Sim free does mean unlocked though so you're good there.

You can also use WhatsApp on WiFi. It doesn't care what your Internet source is just as long as its there. So it won't work if you aren't connected to WiFi or 3/4G.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Not sure where to put this so I'll just carry on with the phone stuff in here.  I can't see what I'm doing on my old old Samsung phone as the screen is held in with cellotape.  I've decided to give up on buttons to join the touchscreen revolution and I quite like the look/price of the handset AJ mentioned a couple of pages back:

Nokia 1

A few questions though, apologies for being a phone numpty.  Does Sim-free mean unlocked, as in I can put my orange chip in it and I'm ready to roll (it's a big-ish one with a corner missing)?  Would I have to charge it every day?  Will WhatsApp work in a no reception zone if I'm connected to WiFi?  I stopped getting reception in my part of the office in June, as did everyone else on EE/T Mobile/Orange/whatever the fuck it is, so having a working WhatsApp would mean I'm no longer in a dead zone for most of the day.  

Thanks in advance.

Sim free should mean it's unlocked - so any sim should work in it.

Your large sim probably won't fit in most new phones. They take small sims now. You should be able to get a replacement sim from you provider though without any hassle.

You will probably have to charge it once a day (depending on how much you use it).

WhatsApp needs internet access, so either 3/4g or WiFi.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What's a realistic budget for you moot? Buying a super cheap smart phone might not be a great idea though. If its too slow its really going to annoy you and make you wish you were back with your old phone.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Why the shit does every bit of furniture or thing I have to assemble have a mixture of Phillips head screws and slotted head screws? Why can't it all be just one or the other?

Every so often you one that only needs an allen key which will be supplied. That's usually a good sign. Means it can be taken apart and put back together again without compromising its strength.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • What's a realistic budget for you moot? Buying a super cheap smart phone might not be a great idea though. If its too slow its really going to annoy you and make you wish you were back with your old phone.

I could spend more if there was any real need, but tbh I probably wouldn't bother with anything other than cheap.  £60 is more than enough when I'd be reasonably happy carrying on with a dunce phone.  

I'm pretty sure I should've received a micro sim at the same time as a jumbo sim when the replacements arrived (seems odd that they just sent me a large sim if most phones don't accept them these days?), but there doesn't seem to be any sign of it in the envelope.  

Lots to think about here anyway, thanks.  Was just going to order it but I'll hold off for now and consider my options.
  • It looks like a smaller sim can be popped out of the jumbo sim housing, so I do have one.
  • Yeah they should have sent out a nano SIM with two adapters.

Glen though....
  • What's a realistic budget for you moot? Buying a super cheap smart phone might not be a great idea though. If its too slow its really going to annoy you and make you wish you were back with your old phone.

It's worth noting that, theoretically, the Nokia 1 shouldn't be noticeably slow for general phone tasks as it's running Android Go, which is designed for super-shite handsets. Web pages might be a bit of a hassle, but calls, email and messages are meant to be fairly responsive on it.
  • I'm going for the Nokia.  Too pissed to make an informed decision and I want to get my Amazon Prime order in for a cd and pressie for the mother in law I've got in my basket.  Not fussed with slow web pages, I'd imagine I can badger on WiFi with minimal fuss.  Plus the Matrix banana phone has WhatsApp 'incoming', rather than WhatsApp out the box.  I just need to to it otherwise I'll end up convincing myself to stick with the piece of shit I've got.
  • B&B shouldn't be too bad, there's not much to it. It's store fronts and things that are more likely to irritate.

Let me know how you find it, I'm looking at replacing my phone.
  • Next door are hoovering out their car. As in right now.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Wait till they finish and start doing some DIY hammering
  • The terms "software stack" and "workflow".
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Yes, particularly when there's not much flow to the work.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • USB C connectors. They're fucking impossible to get bits of dirt, which are stopping them from going in properly, out of.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The terms "software stack" and "workflow".

Nowhere near as annoying as "smart" and "hub".
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    USB C connectors. They're fucking impossible to get bits of dirt, which are stopping them from going in properly, out of.
    Since a beach trip, my Pixel 2 is borderline unchangeable cos of this bollocks.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Have you tried compressed air? That’s what we used for clearing ports back at Apple.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The only source of compressed air I have is my lungs

And yes I've tried blowing
  • Very careful cleaning out with something pointy. Apple Store staff use their black plastic tool thingy. I use the end of a small kitchen knife. I’ve got into the habit of cleaning fluff out of the port every couple of weeks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!