101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Popeye's just opened here. It's terrible. Tasteless chicken covered in cornflakes, lousy chips.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Wtf have kfc done with their chips.  If I wanted lacklustre chips I’d make oven  chips.

I tried some oven chips recently. Haven't tried them since I first saw them way back - probably late 70s when they were vile. They have improved quite a bit I have to say. Was surprised but I wouldn't plan on eating them. 

I'm not a huge fan of chips anyhow - when I was a kid I bit into a one that was half raw - made me throw up and I went off them for a decade or so. I only take them from the chip shop and even that is very occasional now - every 6 months or so. My weight loss antics have resulted in me totally kicking takeaway food and I have no real desire to have it any more.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I miss proper chips, so I’ve bought a deep fryer. Should be arriving today, so it’s chips all weekend for us.
  • I can't stand oven chips but the McCains "skin on" ones are good, as are the ones they do in the chilled aisle that come with a bag of seasoning.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I wouldn't switch back from home made air fried chips now, love them.
  • Love me some well done oven chips and a fray bentos.
  • Oven chips range vastly these days.
    Iceland skin on crispy fries are excellent.

You would still have to go out of your way to get an oven chip as bad as KFC's current fries.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I can't stand oven chips but the McCains "skin on" ones are good, as are the ones they do in the chilled aisle that come with a bag of seasoning.
    Yeah, they're the best I've found too.
  • Kow wrote:
    I wouldn't switch back from home made air fried chips now, love them.

This.
  • Air frying is not frying. It’s just a small oven. Fuck air fryers in the ear.
  • poprock wrote:
    Air frying is not frying. It’s just a small oven. Fuck air fryers in the ear.
    They are a complete con. But I bought one and I fucking love it. 
    So far we’ve done Chinese roast pork and crispy pork in it. 
    Perfect. 
    Japanese karage chicken which was sublime. 
    And the best McDonald’s fries I’ve had outside of McDonald’s.

Air fryers are basically just an oven/grill combo but they are great and very very convenient.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • There’s a brand strategist out there somewhere who tells people they were the guy who came up with the idea of relabelling warehouses full of unsold and unwanted combi ovens as ‘air fryers’, but he never got any payment or recognition for it.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Popeye's just opened here. It's terrible. Tasteless chicken covered in cornflakes, lousy chips.

Certainly not winning any awards, but compared to KFC they are much better, when I yearn for fried chicken. Not much choice in my area, most franchise places are average. I do have The Chicken Place for tasty Portuguese roasted chicken.

Things can only get better.
  • I'd wager the people making Popeye's at Manna's place are different to those making it at Kow's place.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's a far fucking cry from Louisiana anyway.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Re: Air fryers - I've been using one for years and it makes great chips/croquettes, spring rolls, chicken tenders etc but it's not in any way a labour saving device. It makes great chips but you have to do the whole soaking and frying twice thing. Definitely not the same as oven chips.
  • Bought an air fryer at the start of the year and have enjoyed it- makes great chips, and I did good chicken tenders with it a couple of weeks back- but I agree that it's in no way much of a convenience.
  • The deep fryer I just bought is quite a bit bigger than I expected. I guess that’s one of the perils of online shopping. Now I need to pick up five litres of oil next time I’m at the supermarket …
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The main reason I have for an air fryer, apart from the health aspect, is that the oil in a fryer is such a pain in the hole. You have to change it fairly regularly, and dispose of it, and it stinks the kitchen out.
  • Is this how people end up running B&Bs? By accident.

Bought a place with thermostats in each room and 5 ovens. Accidently bought a massive fryer.
    Maybe have some people over. Run out of friends and relatives maybe offer the rooms up to strangers. Should charge them a small fee though.
    Could use the fryer to help with breakfasts but will have to charge a bit more.

3 years later you are on a More4 omnibus of Four in a Bed under paying other couples because you found a hair under the floorboards.
  • I got rid of my last one while we lived in a flat, for those reasons. We had an enclosed kitchen, no windows. The extractor couldn’t mitigate proper fryer action.

Technology seems to have moved on a bit and my new fryer includes an auto-filtration system and stores the filtered oil in a removable plastic tub. Seems swish.
  • Haha … I think we’re doing that plot backwards Liv. This place was built as B&Bs - the courtyard was all B&B rentals while our house was the separate one for the owners to live in. That’s why it has the ridiculous kitchen - they literally did make breakfasts for eight cottages every morning.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    When keepers are feeling themselves after a save and go straight into that piss-and-vinegar dash, as if to play the ball quickly, only to pull up and take their time.
  • poprock wrote:
    I got rid of my last one while we lived in a flat, for those reasons. We had an enclosed kitchen, no windows. The extractor couldn’t mitigate proper fryer action.

Technology seems to have moved on a bit and my new fryer includes an auto-filtration system and stores the filtered oil in a removable plastic tub. Seems swish.

Report back on the fryer please. I was just looking at one that has the filter and store thing today.
  • It’s like witchcraft. I left the fryer out overnight to cool down and in the morning it was empty, with a storage box full of clean oil beneath it. Then I put the metal parts (basket, main oil-holding bucket and lid) into the dishwasher. End result is that it’s like having a brand-new box-fresh fryer every time you use it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    It’s like witchcraft. I left the fryer out overnight to cool down and in the morning it was empty, with a storage box full of clean oil beneath it. Then I put the metal parts (basket, main oil-holding bucket and lid) into the dishwasher. End result is that it’s like having a brand-new box-fresh fryer every time you use it.

What is this magic? Link?
  • I'm with Kow on the chip cooking thing. Deep frying is great for lots of stuff (like anything covered in batter or breadcrumbs) but for chips I'm not so sure.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Or like chips as in any chippy in the land... some shit being chatted itt.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    My keeper hates chips. Kicks the ball into his own net and scores again.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    When keepers are feeling themselves after a save and go straight into that piss-and-vinegar dash, as if to play the ball quickly, only to pull up and take their time.

Liking this observation.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!