Monster Hunter
  • How would you describe MOHAN in a sentence or two for a complete newbie? I've read the Eurogamer review and it sounds great, but how far wide of the mark am I if I'm expecting Shadow of the Colossus with full action controls meets Pokemon with JRPG style cutscenes?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    KILL A MONSTER TO GET DROPS THEN KEEP KILLING IT TO GET MORE DROPS THAT LET YOU GEY GOOD ARMOUR TO KILL MORE MONSTERS
  • Yar, it’s a loot game. More Diablo or Destiny than a SotC. But it’s very, very good.
  • I must have played a loot game but I can't think of one off-hand.
  • I mean it is a loot game, but the difference is you aren't constantly getting a feed of new gear, it's fairly gradual, and a weapon doesn't change all that much. They're just diverse enough that one weapon can feel satisfying 1000+ hours into the series. The real star is the Monsters, no other game has anything like them.
  • Monster Hunter in a nutshell (for me) play ten hours realise to do anything it needs a hundred hours give up.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I mean it is a loot game, but the difference is you aren't constantly getting a feed of new gear, it's fairly gradual, and a weapon doesn't change all that much. They're just diverse enough that one weapon can feel satisfying 1000+ hours into the series. The real star is the Monsters, no other game has anything like them.

Yeah, I massively oversimplified - weapon sets and combat variety is really special, and it’s quite slow, targeted loot stuff, not a constant waterfall of new gear.
  • I start to tap out of these games when the repetition kicks in. Fairly certain it will kick in with this one too. It's a fun ride up to that point though.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Oh shit! 11 hours playtime already. lol!

This game is soooooo good! Its a mixture of old, World, and a bunch of new tricks, which i wasn't sure about at first, but after a days play, i totally understand and appreciate. default_wub.png

The wirebug traversal takes some practice (remember A to hang in midair), and i still haven't got used to using it in combat, simply because as a MonHun veteran, i forget its there. But its versatility makes the game flow in a more direct manner. No need to sheathe and circle strafe - just ZL+A straight through the monster (it doesn't clip, its kinda slides over the monsters back, at least it did with Lagombi, and it felt awesome). So when you land on the monsters blindside, its weapon out and attack again!

It'll take some getting used to but i can see the HUGE potential for some really dynamic playstyles.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Also, you can sharpen, eat meat/rations, and heal while you're on the back of your Palamute chasing down the fleeing monster! Thats called streamlining the process.
  • I played for a couple of hours and have felt the controls a bit fidgety with the wirebug, but I'm sure I'll get into the groove eventually. I have high hopes for this, having enjoyed MHGU (but got on less-well with World).
    PSN: Trampoline_Hero | Switcheroo: SW-4808-6417-1689
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Trust me the Wirebug feels really cumbersome until you figure out how to use and abuse it. The key is to launch, press A to chill in mid-air, either jump with B if the ledge is close, or aim and bug again. And thats just the traversal. 

Unlocking all the Great Wirebug spots on each location/map will make finding/grinding the good resource spots so much easier.
  • If you ain't got your hunt on yet, this can be had for £32 from CurrysPcWorld:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nintendo-switch-monster-hunter-rise-ps3199-with-code-at-currys-3694559
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dammit, Wookie
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So the car is in for a servicing this morning, giving me a chance to properly fire this up from scratch while I wait.

Have managed to clear all the 1 star Village quests and the first urgent one. Nearly have a full Izuchi armour set - need to get a tail for those greaves, as ever the way - and have my bone dual blades.

Runs very well, and my goodness for short loading times after World.
    I'm a bit like Curtis in that I'm still not feeling au fait with wirebugs, but I'm sure it'll come. So far so mohan
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    €70 for a digital purchase. Nintendo really take the piss some times.
  • I can't wait to get back into this. Much like Reg I cleared all the 1star quests and the urgent quest. Made a full set of Izuchi armour and upgraded my Bow.
    Lt. Smash is ready to take on 2star quests later this evening!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Voice audio is all screwed up for me on this. Anyone else??
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Voice audio is all screwed up for me on this. Anyone else??

Oh my god you've delved into the voice chat?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Curtis wrote:
    Oh shit! 11 hours playtime already. lol! This game is soooooo good! Its a mixture of old, World, and a bunch of new tricks, which i wasn't sure about at first, but after a days play, i totally understand and appreciate. default_wub.png The wirebug traversal takes some practice (remember A to hang in midair), and i still haven't got used to using it in combat, simply because as a MonHun veteran, i forget its there. But its versatility makes the game flow in a more direct manner. No need to sheathe and circle strafe - just ZL+A straight through the monster (it doesn't clip, its kinda slides over the monsters back, at least it did with Lagombi, and it felt awesome). So when you land on the monsters blindside, its weapon out and attack again! It'll take some getting used to but i can see the HUGE potential for some really dynamic playstyles.

Glad to see some of you guys enjoying this. 

I tried the demo, and just didn't get on with it... The Eurogamer review is a great incentive to try again, and it's probably one of the best looking games on Switch, but it's quite dense, systems wise. If I felt I had more time for it, maybe. But I was pushed for time when I started Breath of the Wild too, so I suppose it's just a matter of taste.

@Daddy, £35 does sound like a bargain for this. I might kop it, but if I do, it might stay in it's cellophane like my couple of Souls.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I never got round to playing mh world so really impressed with the quality of life improvements. Loading times are great also.
    Still don’t get fully the wirebug thing, what button is it to use it in combat? Tried to use it to go up a steep mountain but he kept jumping back off.
    Brilliant game though, no idea how they managed to squeeze it all on to a switch
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Voice audio is all screwed up for me on this. Anyone else??

Oh my god you've delved into the voice chat?

Ha ha no the voice of my character and NPC's. My guy sounds like he's miles away and no one speaks at all in cut scenes. Checked options and all okay. Restarted the game and still borked.
  • Can someone tell me how I use an item? I can scroll through them but can't seem to customise them to my radial menu or use rations and stuff??? I've forgotten all this shit.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    During a quest? Left button + y or a should cycle through items, y to use it. Radial is hold left button and use the right stick. You can set them up if you scroll through the menu you find with the + button.
  • Yeah it's not using the item when I press Y for some reason?
  • Sounds like your game’s fucked, the sound thing and now this. Have you done a proper restart of the switch?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Gonna assume it doesn't show the red cross over an item?

Also not sure if you can use a health potion when your health is full, so could be that? Otherwise The Daddy is probably right.
  • I dunno what's happening. I've got no sound from my footsteps on foot or the dog, no NPC dialogue, a weird distant voice from my character and I can't use items from the main menu cross bar - I have to use the radial menu every time. I've sacked it off for now but it's a little bit annoying.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It could only happen to chalice.
  • I think Chalice has a personal troll hiding behind the settee, unplugging devices, turning the volume up and down, deleting saves, etc. :-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!