Street Fighter V
  • You haven't even finished Demon's or Dark have ye?
  • Not Demons, but Dark yes. Both of them. 

I'm part way through Demons. For second time. Was doing ok until kids kept getting ill and I've been heavily sleep deprived for weeks/months and just go bed instead of playing anything. Sadface
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I played tons of kof13. it has terrible to non existent online though, so that kills it in the UK for the most part.
    SFxT is a great game. Give it a chance.
    arnold%20baby.jpg
  • Poor KoF13, it really is great, but alas, such bad netcode.

SFxTK became a good game like T6 became good when it was updated to BR, but the damage was already done.

I'm quite annoyed about SFxTK actually, cos me and Jason put some hard graft in for Evo but the game was literally dead to people after that it felt like. I never went back I dont think.

Also we got eliminated by a boring ass Ryu and Ken team. I'm not butthurt by that at all, no siree.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Just watched a few of the fights at e3 with Daigo and co and i'm even less sold on this than i was initially. The whole thing just lacks the aesthetic punch of 4 that made it a joy to both watch and play. The backdrops are dull, the music lacks tunes, the effects on the big moves lack visual spark.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Someone on SRK (yeah, what of it?!) was saying how glad he was to see the end of Focus, but at the same time, the game seems empty without a replacement. Then some sisbizzers tear into him. Watching t'vids, I felt the same.

As much as I hated backdash-and-EX invincibility, blockstring mash, and FADC escapes, their combined effect on high-level play was pretty deep. Deep in a bad way for me, but there was plenty there to afford complex guessing games.

And that's the crux, isn't it: being forced to make relatively blind guesses is bad (especially fuzzies), but being able to predict almost every move is arguably worse. At its best, Street Fighter should have us saying 'I shoulda known he'd do that!' after it's hit. To give players lots of tools for deception, but for that deception to always feel like the players', and not the game's.
  • Escape wrote:
    Street Fighter should have us saying 'I shoulda known he'd do that!' after it's hit. To give players lots of tools for deception, but for that deception to always feel like the players', and not the game's.

I think Smang or Pez mentioned it before you should deffo try Xrd man. It allows for a crazy amount of deceptive play. In movement through the use of the different jump/super jump/diuble jump and air dash options. You have the roman cancel system to mess people up by cancelling your own moves or movement at any time (empty jump yellow cancel into throw best eva). Then there are characters who also have the ability through their individual mechanics to feint stuff or threaten a particular attack to force people indo a guessing game, Bedman, Venom, Ramlethal, Faust and Jack-O immediately spring to mind.

It all adds up to make something that feels the closest to playing Tekken but in a 2d fighter stylee that I've experienced since I've been playing fightmen in terms of having that sense of freedom in how you want to approach your opponent during the neutral game and then deciding how you want to condition them for mixup opportunities during the game.

On the subject of SF5 I finally watched a few vids from E3 that Nerd Josh put up on his channel that were mainly just randoms from the show floor playing. Although the art style seems a bit bland by SF standards, the game looks a lot better than Tekken 7 visually imho, both are being developed on UE4. I couldn't make much assessment of mechanics, but it looks slower than 4, or at least the jumps seemed that way, players seemed to hang in the air for a bit longer, which might discourage the raggo jumping in and encourage a more ground based, footsies heavy game maybe?

I'm off work today so will try and watch a few of the jwong vids while I'm on the can.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Concur (again) with Rouj, Xrd has the most immediate sense of "oh shit I wonder if I can..." since messing around in Tekken. And the new RC does mean anyone can start mind games with three button presses and a stick of butter. Plus if you're fast it can save you from all sorts of unfortunate moments (nasty wake up Bedman supers for example).

As for 5, it's grown on me a bit, but it does seem a bit empty, the V techery stuff seems like a good start but the whole thing feels like it needs another layer of depth.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • thats pretty much exactly how i felt about sfxt, though tbf at least that game had guard cancels.

probably my biggest gripe about sf4 is the lack of things you can do in defence. only crouch tech and block. which has not really been the case since 1995... alpha had counters and 3 had red parries, plus nearly every other fighter they made post 1996 has something to that effect.

5 having IBs and 'alpha counters' is a step in the right direction in my opinion.... i am curious how IBing will work with capcom trying to make everything more casual. if the window is more than 2 or 3 frames it's gonna be everywhere like a mashed dp in your blockstring.
  • I like how Birdie looks qnd acts. Do wish they'd gone with the OG design though, always felt the same about Cody.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/taludegames/Street Fighter 1 - Personagens/Sf1-birdie.gif
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Someone on SRK (yeah, what of it?!) was saying how glad he was to see the end of Focus, but at the same time, the game seems empty without a replacement. Then some sisbizzers tear into him. Watching t'vids, I felt the same. As much as I hated backdash-and-EX invincibility, blockstring mash, and FADC escapes, their combined effect on high-level play was pretty deep. Deep in a bad way for me, but there was plenty there to afford complex guessing games. And that's the crux, isn't it: being forced to make relatively blind guesses is bad (especially fuzzies), but being able to predict almost every move is arguably worse. At its best, Street Fighter should have us saying 'I shoulda known he'd do that!' after it's hit. To give players lots of tools for deception, but for that deception to always feel like the players', and not the game's.
    Smang wrote:
    thats pretty much exactly how i felt about sfxt, though tbf at least that game had guard cancels. probably my biggest gripe about sf4 is the lack of things you can do in defence. only crouch tech and block. which has not really been the case since 1995... alpha had counters and 3 had red parries, plus nearly every other fighter they made post 1996 has something to that effect.

For me, I didn't like this whole 'only Ryu can parry' nonsense.

See this 'Vism' thing though? As I understand it, it currently works a bit like the drive system in Blazblue, and gives the player a character specific effect. What they could do, is provide CvS2 style 'grooves' instead.

If they do, the default would most likely be the Vism mode, but they could also decide to reintroduce 'Alphaisms' like custom combos and alpha counters in one mode, 3rd Strike-esque systems in another 'ism', or even make a full concession to focus attacks with another mode.

Speculation, yeah, but that wouldn't be bad, I lie?

Because right now, I think making a system as dynamic as parrying available to only one character is a dumb idea.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • plus his parry apparently deals with everything.... don't even have to input for high or low...
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Watched a few videos from E3 too, hadn't seen much of it before that. Not really liking the SFxT vibe from it. Also, they've slowed down the gameplay? :(

Too many target combos too by the looks of it :/
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    One of the more interesting sideshows in the whole SFV @ E3 whirlwind was how quickly some of the pro players picked up the new game...

I keep using Wong as the reference here, but if you look at some of his early games against Combofiend, he gets tucked in. But no more than a day later, Combofiend can't even take a round of him!
  • Just realised the sf5 hk stage is a remix of old sf3 hk stage.
    Think it was 2nd impact or something and that game already featured the noodle on head effect if you ko'd your opponent in the kitchen of the restaurant.

Even then the stage was broken down into a street level part and an inside the restaurant part.
    The action moved seamlessly from interior to exterior and vice versa doa style if I remember correctly.
    Always did like the earlier sf3 level designs, good to see them return in 5.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    If they do, the default would most likely be the Vism mode, but they could also decide to reintroduce 'Alphaisms' like custom combos and alpha counters in one mode, 3rd Strike-esque systems in another 'ism', or even make a full concession to focus attacks with another mode. Speculation, yeah, but that wouldn't be bad, I lie?

Yeah, that's a fine idea. Since they're trying to bridge the Alfs with IV via III, why not do it properly?

I don't know how I feel about the removal of charge characters. I don't like the way they've tried to balance Bison, I know that. But there was autocorrect in IV, and that really added to their viability and interest. Balrog - who probably isn't in V - would be hopeless without autocorrect. And also, the whole point of Rog used to be his fast walk; no-one wants a lumbering version with instant rush punches.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    If anyone's interested, they're stream SF5 from the Capcom Uk office @:

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters
  • Logan Sama does my head in.
  • As in the grime DJ? What the entire fuck
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    As in the grime DJ? What the entire fuck

You're a fan? Haha!
  • Not even sure what it is about him... pink timberlands, maybe?
  • Brooks wrote:

Yes, oddly he runs the Capcom endorsed events for London's SF scene. Dudley main.

Escape, what does autocorrect have to do with charge characters? Not that it was a very fun bug/mechanic to me (but something you could improve at for sure), but IMO it was better for QCF characters anyway, as with the huge input window and input shortcuts you could just mash diagonals then time a button press at the end.
  • Nick it means they can reversal/ultra in the correct direction without losing charge innit. You must have seen Honda/Rog/Bison players using it, it's fairly key for those guys.

also Ricky there seems to be a back roll as well as a quick rise in sf5 now. was there ever just defend in the stuff they've shown or did i completely imagine that?
  • Makes sense I guess, been hit by nuff EX Honda headbutts on what I thought were good cross ups over the years.

Really liking the following about SFV as I explore more footage: no 1f links, no invincible backdash, much shorter tech window, higher damage and NO OS/CROUCH TECH.

It's going to allow way more people to get to the strategy layer of the game. Cautiously hyped for now, if Ken isn't in it's a pass though obviously.
  • Not liking Cammy's Mortal Kombat style crossup auto-corrects.

Divekick reverses direction if the hooligan crosses up and I think spin knuckle can pass through opponents and then turns around and crossed up.

May be V-Trigger only though.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    Nick it means they can reversal/ultra in the correct direction without losing charge innit. You must have seen Honda/Rog/Bison players using it, it's fairly key for those guys. also Ricky there seems to be a back roll as well as a quick rise in sf5 now. was there ever just defend in the stuff they've shown or did i completely imagine that?

Isn't Just Defend just a brass' parry?

Haven't seen anything like that yet, but then, I haven't seen everything... 
    For example, Valle was apparently at E3 too, using Ryu, and parrying like boss.

I've realised that I've developed quite an interest in this game...

I thought the art direction was a little ropey before, but after seeing the game run at full pelt, the darker, more figurative style looks quite original.

Almost like Aardman animation spent a year in Japan, while smoking dank with Frank Miller*.

By contrast, I've never really had anything overtly pleasant to say about SF4's art direction**. Deep down in my heart, I thought they fucked up Ken (sorry Nick), the backgrounds, bar possibly the Final Fight one, were all shite, and Seth... 
    A tactical powerhouse and final boss yes, but as mincey as a bowl of bolognese.

I've never, even in hindsight, been able to complain about the Alpha series, Super Turbo, or SF3 like that.

I'd been threatening to play Garou for a long time now, as I have it on the Dreamcast, and the controls map perfectly to the joypad. But I'm shit at the game, and no one plays it anymore, anyway.

Fml...

*Or something.

**I try to distinguish between art direction, and the graphics themselves... e.g. Chrono Trigger's art direction shat on FF7, but you couldn't say Chrono had better graphics than FF7.
  • yeah the game is looking better in the latest round of videos. 

as someone who recently came off a fairly long sfxt session i will repeat myself and say it still looks like it plays very similarly. also the sfx are very reminiscent of 'stomp', also like sfxt. why does punching a man sound like someone strapped bin lids to their feet?

also Ricky i dunno about brass parries, but they would have been another defensive option, especially when alot of specials look safe on block so far.

also i still play GAROU and will hit you with a shoe!

bonne_jenet_by_chaosdante-d4haryr.gif

note to self, don't google B Jenet at work
  • Garou is ace. Would spend mire time with it, for sure.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Yes, oddly he runs the Capcom endorsed events for London's SF scene. Dudley main.

That is fantastic.
  • Stuff Capcom could add:
    Recurring Characters:
    Ultra cast
    R.Mika
    Haggar
    Q
    Oro/Necro
    Sean

New characters and stages
    New plot (does sf need a plot?)

Fight system looks ok, but it'll take time and I suspect a few iterations to balance it

Seems like they're going for more individuality in character's play style which is nice.

And yeah, Garou MotW and SF3 are the pinnacle of 2d fighters.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!