Playstation 4 [The all you can eat buffet thread]
  • I doubt Sony are looking to jump ahead with a PS5 given how well the 4 is still selling. I don't doubt they have very active R&D though.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    That little headset works fine Nina. The mic tends to pick up a lot of background noise if I remember but it works. 

I mean.. it's about as basic as they come but it gets the job done at a push. If you've got anything with a mobile phone over the years it'll be as good or better mind.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Black Friday sale runs 23-27 November, but I see Plus subscribers get early access 21 & 22 November.
  • Bit of an odd bonus - not like things can sell out. But hey, I'll take it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It's not yet known what's gonna be in there is it? Was looking at a Black Friday list just now, and noticed NieR is gonna be $25 (or $20, I forgot) and Persona 5 will be $30. Those are at Amazon US though, but very tempting.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Patcher is a cunt.
    Heh, been skimming through The Order thread, and just came across his prediction that The Order could sell 12 million copies. Think the devs would have been very happy if they even got half of that.

And thanks @isanbard, good to know it's useful enough if I ever feel the need to chat to someone while playing.
  • I doubt Sony are looking to jump ahead with a PS5 given how well the 4 is still selling. I don't doubt they have very active R&D though.

Yeh, they have absolutely no reason to do so. They are dominating the market at present. I'm sure MS would like a reset so they can start anew.

I don't see anything happening for a few years, not until 4k tv's become a more common household item.

A separate question is do Sony or MS have plans to react to the runaway success of the Switch?

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. The pattern seems set now, a new generational release with a mid lifecycle upgrade. Ryzen CPUs are coming through now so this may form the basis for the next gen, coupled with increasing amounts of RAM. 3D has gone and I expect VR will fall by the wayside soon enough, not sure what else will distinguish itself in the future apart from more shinies.

GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    However, Thong correctly predicted the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro.

Ooh, dat Press so scandalous...

These guys overlap, so we'll forget him if he's wrong, but then someone else'll be right, and they'll be the new naughty boy until they're wrong (wa-wrong, wrong, wrong). And on it goes.
  • Nina wrote:
    Ok, so there's no way to find out what you've given the thumbs up?

No, the thumbs up is more of a ratings system, like Netflix, to assist content-suggestion-algorithms, as far as I know.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    A separate question is do Sony or MS have plans to react to the runaway success of the Switch?

A handheld that can give big-game experiences while also being a natural home to indie fancies, with various input options? Yeah, I bet Sony wish they’d thought of doing that. ;)
  • They should have spent more time thinking about it, clearly!
  • I thought Sony have switched to a PC style architecture so everything can be backward compatible now. They’ll completely shit the bed if they’ve got to start from 0, or 0 plus a few PS Pro games. Xbox One Two won’t be doing that.

Not sure what PS Pro games are in that context either. Games that haven’t been released yet and probably won’t be.
  • Andy wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    A handheld that can give big-game experiences while also being a natural home to indie fancies, with various input options? Yeah, I bet Sony wish they’d thought of doing that. ;)

Besides great first year.. but I'm not sure we can call it a runaway success yet.

Lets see how year two goes.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I would be surprised if he next full Sony console doesn’t mimic the switch handheld / home hybrid
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I'd be amazed if it did.  I reckon MS and Sony are putting their eggs in the shiny basket.
  • Yeah there's no way either of them are going to release something less powerful.
    The Forum Herald™
  • If there’s really a demand for it from the PS and Xbox crowd, which I’m not sure there is, they might try with some custom hardware device for streaming from a console. A vita with no internals other than to handle display. But it’s handheld gaming. There’s overlap between that and the typical console owner but not much.
  • Sony have already tried twice and failed to break into Nintendo’s hold on the handheld market so I’m not sure they’ll try again. No business senses unless they come up with really innovative stuff that has a great USP.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Next gen consoles, could be digital media / streaming only. After all 2nd hand sales do nothing for game publishers bottom lines barring purchase of dlc or in game stuff.

Wouldnt be surprised if there was a detachable tablet/controller option to play in around your house over wifi.
  • Sold separately perhaps. It's too costly to put in the box. Exactly what hampered the WiiU.
  • If they do the detachable tablet thing I'm all for it, it's an accessory I'd buy.
  • The thing is, Vita does remote play, but how much does it get used? I wonder how much is down to the faff of set-up, and unreliability on what does and doesn’t work. If they fix that, fine, but it would be a bad idea (imho) to remove functionality that allows it to operate as a standalone. That’s a difficult design prospect, though. (The Vita can also be used as a controller, with echos of WiiU functionality, but hardly any games support the extras, and as an additional controller it’s inferior to the cuntpad.)

As for download / streaming only, the furore over sharing games during the launch of the One and PS4, and the commercial failure of PSPgo suggests that Sony and Microsoft have an idea how important physical releases are to significant portions of their audience.
  • Andy wrote:
    The thing is, Vita does remote play, but how much does it get used? I wonder how much is down to the faff of set-up, and unreliability on what does and doesn’t work. .

On PS4 everything 'works' it's a requirement unless it uses Eyetoy.

It's the lack of buttons that holds it back from being essential and the lag. If they could sort out the lag and teh buttons it'd be essential.
    The Forum Herald™
  • It's the lag and smudged image, otherwise I'd use it to play the majority of my PSN games.  It's okay for some games.
  • Bob wrote:

The store doesn’t work, pretty sure various video apps don’t work...
  • Andy wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    The store doesn’t work, pretty sure various video apps don’t work...

Sorry I thought we where talking about games.. like you'd want to remote play. My mistake.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Nah, my bad not explaining myself properly.
  • Vita screen was too small as well - xcom2 streamed was unplayable
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I was always hoping for a nintendo style Vita refit with double shoulder buttons.. would've been perfect.

The touch back panel was wank and a right pain in the arse.

In my experience a lot of FPSs where very playable. Had a great time with Fallout 4, Skyrim, BorderlandsHD remake and Farcry 4 on remote play.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!