Playstation 4 [The all you can eat buffet thread]
  • Yeah, Jenkins does most of it and is great with the news and smaller releases.  It’s when the big name stuff gets released that the sub-eds get involved and things seem to go a bit more clicksy.
  • For those that have the PSVR HDR passthrough problem, I have found this page in my research over the last fortnight.

https://www.outofcontrol.online/perfectish-setup-ps4-pro-ps4-psvr-hdr/

This explains a solution with an HDMI switch box and a spare HDMI input on your tv.

This https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W6XRCKA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the switchbox that it refers to and it's currently in stock at Amazon after being out of stock for a while. It does stress to use high quality HDMI cables for passing through all the lovely pixels.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Well, yeah, you have to have high quality cables for 4KHDR or there's no picture. Of course, high quality cables are still fairly cheap and will almost never be labelled as high quality.

Anyway, did you link a page that just uses a lot of words to say "use a switch"?
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    For those that have the PSVR HDR passthrough problem, I have found this page in my research over the last fortnight.

https://www.outofcontrol.online/perfectish-setup-ps4-pro-ps4-psvr-hdr/

This explains a solution with an HDMI switch box and a spare HDMI input on your tv.

This https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W6XRCKA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the switchbox that it refers to and it's currently in stock at Amazon after being out of stock for a while. It does stress to use high quality HDMI cables for passing through all the lovely pixels.

Thanks for that link.
    Gonna order it then look in to it.
  • digi wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    For those that have the PSVR HDR passthrough problem, I have found this page in my research over the last fortnight. https://www.outofcontrol.online/perfectish-setup-ps4-pro-ps4-psvr-hdr/ This explains a solution with an HDMI switch box and a spare HDMI input on your tv. This https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W6XRCKA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the switchbox that it refers to and it's currently in stock at Amazon after being out of stock for a while. It does stress to use high quality HDMI cables for passing through all the lovely pixels.
    Thanks for that link. Gonna order it then look in to it.

I am due my switch and additional cable delivered by Saturday, so I will update if it all goes smoothly or otherwise.
  • Cable quality was an issue with analogue and scart. Now it’s all of a load of marketing bollocks. Just don’t buy ones made from string and you’re golden.
  • Not entirely true. All digital cables being equal is a common misconception, but some cheap HDMI cables actually can't support the bandwidth necessary for 4KHDR. You generally never need to spend above single figures on them, though.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Cheers chaps, I'll hold off on a ps4 pro.

As for a PS5, I think we are 3-5 years away. We are talking 18-24mths to develop game engines not to mention the huge cost of development. Newbmiddleware tools etc needed as well. SDK (software development kits) would need to be going out to various videogames companies etc 18-24mths before any launch to give said companies time to develop stuff. Not to mention the lead time on mass manufacturing of cpu's and gpu. Edge magazine amongst others outlets would pickup on rumblings in the industry if something was a foot. Even if NDAs were signed, there would be rumblings. But there aren't.

PS4 pro and Xbox OneX has delayed any move forwards. Besides PS4 is the market leader and is the go to console for this generation why would Sony risk pressing the reset button on that?

Tbf there were numerous reports two weeks ago that devs have dev kits and software for PS5. Obvs just target specced pc hardware but they are mobilising right now. The Witcher devs also gave a bit of non news news in a recent investor briefing about the same thing.

I still think it’ll be November 2019 at the earliest and probably nov 2020.

Cool, wasn't aware of the reports. Will hold off on a ps4 pro. I can wait 18-24 mths.
  • AJ wrote:
    Not entirely true. All digital cables being equal is a common misconception, but some cheap HDMI cables actually can't support the bandwidth necessary for 4KHDR. You generally never need to spend above single figures on them, though.

Yeah, that was sort of my point. You need the right bandwidth (if that’s the correct term in this case) but the bollocks about super duper cables at £80 is just simple marketing lies.
  • Exactly, your could get the same effect with some magic rocks.
  • Spiderman game on PS4 now released on 7th September.
  • I was hoping the Pro/Scorpio situation was a good way to give moar power to those who crave it, while offering base unit owners access to less snazzy versions of the same game.  Which is what they're currently doing, but presumably not for as long as I'd like if new consoles are on the horizon.  Rather than breaking the cycle of generations they'll both seem slightly odd footnotes if we're talking 2019/early 2020 for the next gen.  Six/seven years isn't a a bad run for a generation, it's to be expected, but the beefier units have muddied the water a bit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Definitely not going to bother with the switch thing if it uses up an additional HDMI port. All four of mine are used and I could do with one more tbf.
  • You could use two switches, then you'd only need one socket on your TV.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve tried a few HDMI switches in the past and found them buggy. I also currently have a switch for my optical, don’t really want to add to it. For the amount I use PSVR at the moment it’s not worth the hassle.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I’ve tried a few HDMI switches in the past and found them buggy. I also currently have a switch for my optical, don’t really want to add to it. For the amount I use PSVR at the moment it’s not worth the hassle.

I had considered just changing the cables but since the switch was back in stock I thought I would check it out. I’m not hopeful about it actually working smoothly, but I’ll soon find out.
  • OK so PSVR purchased and played.

After an evenings play I'm actually really impressed!

Played a bunch of stuff briefly, but so far the highlights were:

The Last Guardian. Now I adored the main game so being plonked into the actual world, to see an enourmous Trico right up in your grill and to be on his back when he takes a massive leap was fairly special. Disposable, but special.

There's a cutesy and short platformer in the Vr Room bundled thing which is pretty cool. Proper sense of "presence" and its super tactile. I imagine Moss is somethign like this? I'll be getting that I think.

London Heist motorway bit was also impressive for the "presence". You're totally there in a car!

Wipeout made me feel instantly ill so turned it off.

Tonight's the big one for me - the Star Wars XWing thing. High hopes for that.

So it actually works then! It made my face super-sweaty and there's an awful lot of wires involved, but so far I gotta admit its actually a cool bit of kit.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    PSVR was the biggest 'oh shit this is amazing' moment I've had in gaming but still can't justify me buying it
  • Knockout League is a proper workout in VR. Again, the presence of having the opponent right in front of you is disconcerting.
  • JRPC wrote:
    OK so PSVR purchased and played.

The Last Guardian. Now I adored the main game so being plonked into the actual world, to see an enourmous Trico right up in your grill and to be on his back when he takes a massive leap was fairly special. Disposable, but special.

There's a cutesy and short platformer in the Vr Room bundled thing which is pretty cool. Proper sense of "presence" and its super tactile. I imagine Moss is somethign like this? I'll be getting that I think.

London Heist motorway bit was also impressive for the "presence". You're totally there in a car!

So it actually works then! It made my face super-sweaty and there's an awful lot of wires involved, but so far I gotta admit its actually a cool bit of kit.

Rec room is free and funny.

Did you get until dawn: a rush of blood when it were on ps+?
    If not that and superhot vr are must buys.

Dirt rally and gt sport are next level in vr too.
    (and gt sport now has time trials)
    (im thinking on getting a g25 just for these two in vr)

• digi wrote:
    JRPC wrote:
    OK so PSVR purchased and played.

Rec room is free and funny.

Did you get until dawn: a rush of blood when it were on ps+?
    If not that and superhot vr are must buys.

Dirt rally and gt sport are next level in vr too.
    (and gt sport now has time trials)
    (im thinking on getting a g25 just for these two in vr)

I did pick up Dawn on plus yeah (even though I had no intention of buying at that point).

Having some friends over on Sunday to show it off was going do some of that and maybe that 'hands locked in a box' puzzle one. I think there's an multipler thing with that.

Not sure my stomach would take any driving games yet.

I also dont have Move conrollers which seems to be limiting.
  • How important are the move controllers
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Depends what games you want to play. Some don't use it at all, some let you use a pad, others require it.
  • Battlefront X-Wing mission is my favourite bit of VR so far, closely followed by Resi 7. Had finished Resi 7 3 time already on my Xbox but wanted the VR treatment, totally different game.
  • JRPC wrote:
    I did pick up Dawn on plus yeah (even though I had no intention of buying at that point). Having some friends over on Sunday to show it off was going do some of that and maybe that 'hands locked in a box' puzzle one. I think there's an multipler thing with that. Not sure my stomach would take any driving games yet. I also dont have Move conrollers which seems to be limiting.

The driving ones are fine as you are practically just looking ahead. RIGS made me want to spew as you are going in multiple directions at once and your vision can't keep up.
  • Just did the star wars one.

WOW! That was genuinely incredible!!

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep, definitely my favourite use of VR so far.
  • Aye, it really is good.
  • Still not tried x wing as it never allowed me becouse i never owned battlefront.

Theres a cod jackal assault demo on the store thats pretty good and proboubly simular.
    Same with eve valkerie.
    Full game of eve is great but really tough online.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Just did the star wars one. WOW! That was genuinely incredible!!

It's great.  So much so that if there'd been another one bundled with Battlefront 2 I would have bought it.  (There wasn't, I didn't.)

As for the multiplayer in Statik - be warned that it's a little fiddly to set up.  Basically you need to have the Playstation app on a tablet/phone of your choosing, and have it logged in as a second screen.  You should then get the option for multiplayer in Statik.  (There are only 3 multiplayer levels, but they're solid.)

Also if you're having friends over I'd recommend Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.  It's not the most dramatic demonstration of the tech by any means, but it's a good multiplayer experience.  (Especially if you print the manual out, rather than just using the onscreen version.  Paper scattering round the room whilst the timer ticks down adds to the tension...)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!