Je Suis Charlie
  • I suppose the scariest thing is that none of us are immune to those sort of appeals. I can't get myself comfortable with polygamy, for instance, though on paper that's probably healthier than locking in another human being for exclusive use.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You could easily put together a list of horrors to describe America too, if you wanted - police murdering and imprisoning ethnic minorities, Westboro church, the Klan, imperialist invaders, CIA torture etc etc. Fuck it we should round up the yanks.
    Precisely. The issue is how all of these are various expressions of control and the need to control. People grasping for simplifications of the real to the detriment of decency.
    It's almost as though no one ever mentioned that before, eh?

The difference is that because of our constant exposure to American media - quality authors, musicians and directors - we know that such a picture is facetious. We don't have the information to realise that it's equally true of Islamic countries.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Not a fan of America either. Fuck Israel too.

I'm choosing to read this as somewhat flippant, but surely you still see the inherant weakness with simplistic generalisations like this? You hate all 300 million + Americans? You hate every Israeli? Even those that criticise government policy and don't support settlements (for intance)?

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • No. I said I'm not a fan. Not a fan of their foreign policy, gun loving, religion in politics, institutionalised racism etc.

Israel I'm a little more hard line on. Bombing kids is wrong. It says it right there in the bible. The occupation of Palestine has more than a little in common with South Africa a few years back.

I dare say I could get along with around 80% of any country though.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • But not 80% of "Islam" apparently.
  • Them too. Although I do think their imaginary friend is currently more of a problem than any of the other popular imaginary friends.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The cover for Wednesday's issue of the magazine.

toutestpardonne_zpsa17817c1.png
    All is forgiven.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Them too. Although I do think their imaginary friend is currently more of a problem than any of the other popular imaginary friends.

This. People are free to choose their faith... but not to use it to make others unhappy. Or dead. We have to be able to study and criticise any school of thought, including a religion, in order to progress. We have to realise that criticising a school of thought is not the same as attacking a particular creed, race, or other subgroup of humanity. People are deserving of a baseline level of respect; religions, philosophies, political views are not.

Please note I am using "criticise" in the proper way, rather than the colloquial meaning of "to point of flaws or be mean about something". We should be free without fear of violent reprisal to respectfully and thoroughly critique a school of thought, whether it be an ancient religion or the latest diet fad.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I count two cocknballs on that cover.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Them too. Although I do think their imaginary friend is currently more of a problem than any of the other popular imaginary friends.

I think a supposed 'superpower' rolling through a populations' most valuable land and imposing a rule of law upon it, is a bigger problem than anyone's choice of 'imaginary friends'.

Blue Swirl wrote:
    Please note I am using "criticise" in the proper way, rather than the colloquial meaning of "to point of flaws or be mean about something". We should be free without fear of violent reprisal to respectfully and thoroughly critique a school of thought, whether it be an ancient religion or the latest diet fad.

So since we're taking it there... 

Nicolas Anelka... 

Where the fuck was his defense, eh?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Skerret wrote:
    I count two cocknballs on that cover.

Well these guys are basically 4chan Institutionalised so.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • We have to realise that criticising a school of thought is not the same as attacking a particular creed, race, or other subgroup of humanity.

It depends how you do it, this is the problem.
  • I realise I'm sounding way racist on this. This attack was the straw that broke a racially-neutral load-carrying animal's back. I was already on edge about self censorship via fear of violent reprisal. I'd usually stand up for protection of minority cultures but not to the point where I'm protecting their ill treatment of women.

The other side of this kind of has me in a pincer, trying to say what I mean without sounding racist. Far right racist parties stopped calling the "other" by their race and started calling them by their religion to avoid race-hate laws. I assure you my bile is coming from a different place than theirs.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've yet to read all of this, but here's an article on satire in the Muslim world:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/jan/12/laughing-in-face-of-danger-satire-in-muslim-world

It certainly suggests that it is possible to criticise parts of Islam without having to create images of Mohamed.
  • It also suggests the best satire of shenanigans in the Islamic world is done by locals, not a bunch of old white guys in France.
  • whodathunkit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There are actually plenty of articles and books which are well written (and not so well written) criticisms of Islam, the authors of which have not been killed. They probably did not contain bug eyed penis faced Mohammeds.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've just noticed that "JE SUIS" is basically "JESUS", so even the comeback stance has overt Christian overtones.

Mayber.
  • read the context, it says "all is forgiven".
    CONtEXT
    CONTEXT
    context
    CONTEXt

oh it's still a penis face.
  • Didn't the historian who did made a critical piece on the history of Islam get one o' them fatwas put on him. No penises in that little ditty.
  • Anyone watch Panorama last night? I know it's the state broadcaster so propaganda ahoy, but there was one section which just flat-out dismissed foreign policy having an influence on acts of extremism, and even went to suggest that the trend of blaming FP is worrying.

Just, I honestly don't know what to say. It seems hugely retarded to me to dismiss, considering illegal action either carried out or supported (Iraq, Palestine etc) serves as one humungous recruitment drive for clowns like IS.

It's head in the sand stuff. Some argue that if no offensive cartoons were drawn then IS would still want to lop heads off. Yeah, but would IS be in the power they are were it not for destablising the region? To take from a Chomsky article:

"Jihadism's most fearsome current manifestation is the Islamic State, or ISIS, which has established its murderous caliphate in large areas of Iraq and Syria.

"I think the United States is one of the key creators of this organization," reports former CIA analyst Graham Fuller, a prominent commentator on the region. "The United States did not plan the formation of ISIS," he adds, "but its destructive interventions in the Middle East and the War in Iraq were the basic causes of the birth of ISIS." "

Yeah but apparently it's disgusting to suggest that western FP plays a part. They just hate our freedom, innit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Didn't the historian who did made a critical piece on the history of Islam get one o' them fatwas put on him. No penises in that little ditty.

No idea. Who do you mean?
  • It's daft to think that western aggression isn't a big part of it. But looking at the number of fired up young muslims that think 9/11 was mossad, I'm not sure actual facts are totally necessary for radicalisation.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There are enough facts facts to anger people regardless of September the 11th.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Plenty of Americans think America was behind 9/11.
  • About a third at last count.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    There are enough facts facts to anger people regardless of September the 11th.
    Yes, the ridiculous number of sunni vs shia deaths for one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!