Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This thread is a classic example of people wanting to be more unique than they actually are. There is actual resentment by a lot of people in this forum being in any way associated with the COD/FIFA crowd, as though liking popular games means that you forgo having an opinion on other games.

Also, this thing that Metacritic is somehow stealing you of your ability to make decisions is both disingenous and insulting to people who choose to use correlative data as a decision making process. There is such aggressiveness in the posts about it, yet I would not take that stance with those people that know the specific names of reviewers of games and have an almost fanatical reverence to their opinion. It is a tool, a starting point, a way of getting a steer on a game. Is it perfect? Of course not. Could it provide insignt into other points of view? Definitely.
  • I can see merit in curiosity ("do my opinions match the MASSSES"!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!") or even just as a place where you don't have to google the name of the game you want to see a review of. But as a primary way to decide a purchase an average number???...............eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwww
    What would be wrong with that? That's not how I use it but, if you were going to use anything as the primary source for making your decision, what's so bad about using the average of all the reviews of a game?
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Where I've used it most often is in a shop, looking at a game that's in the sale. If the metacritic score is 40, with no positive reviews, there's no way you're telling me I can't be reasonably sure it's a turkey. Equally, if it's 95, there's a good chance it'll be good (and I'll wonder why I didn't know about it). If it's in that broad band of vague, most average of average scores, I'll know I need to go and read what my prefered sources have to say about it.

Nobody here is saying that every game they buy is done so based in it being above a certain metacritic score, not even remotely, so you're wasting your time wailing about it.
  • Kow wrote:
    Who are these unwashed masses who don't understand Metacritic like we do?

Publishers and marketing departments.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • When I've got time, I might make a list for Joe MetaConsumer. He buys his console at the first price drop then buys one new game (released in the past 2 months) per month and a couple of bargain bin titles (between 1 & 2 years old) and maybe a download only game. Genres rotate or at least he never buys 2 driving games in a row.

I'll see how laughable uninformed his game collection is at the end of the year if he only uses MetaCritic to decide.
  • Vela wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Who are these unwashed masses who don't understand Metacritic like we do?
    Publishers and marketing departments.
    lol I was thinking about saying that. Those ads with "must have worked on a game with an 80+ metascore" sound arse but it's probably an easy way to filter out people that did the art on their mate's iOS game.
  • I think the other issue is that with emphasis placed on metacritic, even if its only by publishers/marketing and not the straw-man Mr Lowest Common Denominator shopper, games still get fiddled with by bean counters to ensure they meet the well-known preferences of the reviewers at big outlets. Or as many as possible.

I'd hate to think about how many developers have had their vision compromised because of marketing, and even more how many missed out on fair pay because of the meta average being 1 point off (Fallout New Vegas/Obsidian was a notorious example of this). Which is hilarious to think that Bethesda actually have some standards they apply, because you could safely assume they have none based on their coding talent.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The surprise success of Oblivion which picked the best time to be released filled Bethesda with a lotta fucking hubris is my hunch.

Didn't Bungie have a similar agreement with Activision? And Destiny's meta score was atrocious to what was expected.
  • Didn't Destiny seem to undergo a lot of development dramas? You had several key staff leave over recent years and the evidence seems to have been borne out that a lot of content was held back for inclusion in expansion packs.
  • Not really on content being held back, but it certainly appears as if a lot has been stripped out. They planned content for expansions as part of the process, but it seems like this is what was alqways suppesed to be in DLC, not stuff that has been re-appropriated. The stuff that's been taken out seems very much like it's simply lost.

Destiny has had a rough treatment in terms of reviews. It's a game that should not have been reviewed as early as it was. The amount that came out in that first week is insane. You simply can't see the content in that time. The bottom 7 scores all came out within nine days. Five of them came out before the Vault of Glass was even unlocked. Even Eurogamer, who are usually pretty good with this stuff only waited until the 17th.
  • I remember when online content was proper arse compared to what you got in a mag. It's really not like that any more. I remember feeling sorry for print based publications being faced with online competition when it first started. I thought it must be a tricky balance. If you don't have an online presence then you'll be left behind but if you do you're encouraging your readrship to leave your core business and putting them an easy click away from your competition. That's less of an issue now since everyone's online anyway.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Film criticism went through the same thing before gaming journalism. Future have only themselves to blame really. Makes you wonder if it was incompetence or they didn't see Edge as much a reason to care.
  • Five of them came out before the Vault of Glass was even unlocked. Even Eurogamer, who are usually pretty good with this stuff only waited until the 17th.

Honest question as I've not played Destiny - was VoG unlocked by Bungie or is it automatically unlocked by players when they reach a certain level. What I mean is, what VoG available from the off?
  • I think we can all agree that the 100 or so most regular forumites were the real trend setters. The core of the core. Once they brushed us aside, it was only a matter of time.

The great 2014 glitchathon probably has its roots there as well. Without a powerful cabal of opinion leaders, the gaming public was easy meat. The backlash from this will probably be the start of the 2nd great gaming crash. From there I'm afraid it's downhill until the war with the robots where only people that have completed Binary Domain on hard will have any chance of survival.
  • It's a game that should not have been reviewed as early as it was. The amount that came out in that first week is insane. You simply can't see the content in that time. The bottom 7 scores all came out within nine days. Five of them came out before the Vault of Glass was even unlocked. Even Eurogamer, who are usually pretty good with this stuff only waited until the 17th.

I disagree vehemently with this.

If the game is ready to go on sale for full price, its ready to be reviewed as such. If it's not ready to be reviewed, its not ready to be sold. If anything, games are not reviewed harshly enough when it comes to performance and content.

Skyrim PS3 should have gotten 0/10, i.e. one point for every frame per second.
    Driveclub should have been reviewed based on numbers of online matches possible. 
    Halo Master Chief Collection should have gotten 4/10, something which reflects the number of months between release and a semi-working state.
    Assassins Creed Unity should have gotten 1/10 because of its name (and also if you didn't figure out the series was shit after the 1st game then you deserve to waste more money on it).
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    I disagree vehemently with that, kinda.  Games can (now) evolve over time.  A film is the same film from day 1 to day 1001 (DCs notwithstanding).  A game like Destiny can be altered, improved, in ways that matter, months after release.  I'm not suggesting a game that scores 2/10 on day 1 can scoot up to 8/10 on day 100, but certain criticisms, valid at one time, can become irrelevant down the track.  Destiny seems like the first notable example of this.  Unless the mechanics are borked, fundamentally borked (and in Destiny's case, they're not), a Destiny (mainly down to pedigree) deserves time.

There's a larger argument about rapidfire game review practice that foregoes meaningful critique in service of "FIRST", but to get into that I'd be sacrificing DSII time and I simply won't.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The thing with Destiny is not that it was broken on release, as it worked perfectly. More that reviews were rushed through without seeing the end game content, which is the best part.

It's like reviewing a film or book without watching or reading the whole thing. And there's a really good twist at the end.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I reviewed Destiny following the Beta and I was bang on, it's an [8].
  • I wish I could have seen a meta critic rating for this thread before reading through 6 pages of it.
  • This sums up gaming media these days:
    B8ZU3YQCYAA7zoB.jpg
  • Skerret wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    I disagree vehemently with that, kinda.  Games can (now) evolve over time.  A film is the same film from day 1 to day 1001 (DCs notwithstanding).  A game like Destiny can be altered, improved, in ways that matter, months after release.  I'm not suggesting a game that scores 2/10 on day 1 can scoot up to 8/10 on day 100, but certain criticisms, valid at one time, can become irrelevant down the track.  Destiny seems like the first notable example of this.  Unless the mechanics are borked, fundamentally borked (and in Destiny's case, they're not), a Destiny (mainly down to pedigree) deserves time.

There's a larger argument about rapidfire game review practice that foregoes meaningful critique in service of "FIRST", but to get into that I'd be sacrificing DSII time and I simply won't.

So long as companies are happy to front load sales, take preorders, massage the review process and sell season passes before they confirm content, the games need to be reviewed based on what they are, not what they might be.

Reviews should serve as a buyer's guide.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    chaluce stop posting that
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    I disagree vehemently with that, kinda.  Games can (now) evolve over time.  A film is the same film from day 1 to day 1001 (DCs notwithstanding).  A game like Destiny can be altered, improved, in ways that matter, months after release.  I'm not suggesting a game that scores 2/10 on day 1 can scoot up to 8/10 on day 100, but certain criticisms, valid at one time, can become irrelevant down the track.  Destiny seems like the first notable example of this.  Unless the mechanics are borked, fundamentally borked (and in Destiny's case, they're not), a Destiny (mainly down to pedigree) deserves time. There's a larger argument about rapidfire game review practice that foregoes meaningful critique in service of "FIRST", but to get into that I'd be sacrificing DSII time and I simply won't.
    So long as companies are happy to front load sales, take preorders, massage the review process and sell season passes before they confirm content, the games need to be reviewed based on what they are, not what they might be. Reviews should serve as a buyer's guide.
    In 90% of cases, I agree. It's the Destiny model that warrants a different approach.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    I disagree vehemently with that, kinda.  Games can (now) evolve over time.  A film is the same film from day 1 to day 1001 (DCs notwithstanding).  A game like Destiny can be altered, improved, in ways that matter, months after release.  I'm not suggesting a game that scores 2/10 on day 1 can scoot up to 8/10 on day 100, but certain criticisms, valid at one time, can become irrelevant down the track.  Destiny seems like the first notable example of this.  Unless the mechanics are borked, fundamentally borked (and in Destiny's case, they're not), a Destiny (mainly down to pedigree) deserves time. There's a larger argument about rapidfire game review practice that foregoes meaningful critique in service of "FIRST", but to get into that I'd be sacrificing DSII time and I simply won't.
    So long as companies are happy to front load sales, take preorders, massage the review process and sell season passes before they confirm content, the games need to be reviewed based on what they are, not what they might be. Reviews should serve as a buyer's guide.
    In 90% of cases, I agree. It's the Destiny model that warrants a different approach.

Nup. Because they do all of the things Vela says. If they want out of the buyer guide model then they should jump outside the model fiscally too. You could argue their model is a bit like WoW but at least that charges you nothing to play the full game before asking for piecemeal payment. Destiny asks for full monies on day one or fuck off.
  • Skerret wrote:
    chaluce stop posting that

NO! People should rejoice in Pewdiepue!
  • Not that anyone gives half a shit, but this is my system:

Skim Eurogamer and RPS frontpages a few times a day.
    Open EG review of most big games and any game I had mentally bookmarked for whatever reason (generally these days: genre I like, dev I have liked games from before, pre-release buzz from this here forum) - skip straight to score at end.
    If genre I like, anything above a 6 is a "consider for purchase".
    If AAA or other release I'm somewhat interested in, anything above an 8 is under consideration. 
    Higher the score from the baseline = higher the price I'm willing to pay. On the baseline = roughly £15.

If it was a game I'm interested in or the score was significantly different to what I was expecting it to be, I might actually bother to read the review text itself.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Re: Destiny, FWIW, I far prefer their model of selling the full-price game and DLC with no subscriptions, and would probably rate it higher for not asking a subscription.

Beyond that, I do agree that reviewers should have spent more time with it. I understand that there are issues with the early game, I really do, but I don't care about that now that I've reached the higher levels. There is no game in the history of gaming which has grabbed me like Destiny has. If you're put off by the early game, I'm sorry to hear that, the end game is a ten, no question, and that end game will keep you occupied for months once you've spent the week or so that it takes to get there.
  • You all want to read mine and Sas' reviews at www.godisageek.com

We never/always get it right.
    Because opinion. Innit.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I'd pretty much forgotten about reviews. I tend to wait for a sale, buy a few games that people around here have mentioned positively for a few quid each. Usually find that one's a dud, but the others are fine, so that'll do.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The reviews for Destiny I actually listened to were mainly @Billy's in the Destiny Halo thread saying that it was great and I should buy it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!