The B&B Metal Thread
  • I had a listen to Caninus, who have 2 dogs as their singer. As you suggest though, they're not pedigree. Out of THIRTY I'd probably give them caNINE.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    mangman wrote:
    Out of THIRTY I'd probably give them caNINE.

pinkie_pie-rimshot_zpscdba0a97.gif
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    My shock discovery of the day is Japan has a really healthy metal scene.

Six Japanese metal bands (though the URL says five, guess they added one).

And another half dozen. Although the URL again specifies five, so, er yeah.

I may have to make August "Japanese Metal Month" on my show.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Another discovery I made recently that made me think "why the fuck have I not been listening to these guys for years?" Belphegor are blummin' epic black/death metal. (Am I the only one that thinks black/death or "blackened death" should be called "plague" metal?)

Sepulture of Hypocrisy from Goatreich Fleshcult. Blas*-licious!

*As is "blasphemy", but having type it out it could equally work for "blast". :)
  • Got back from Wacken yesterday...what a brilliant experience!

The whole festival is really well organised and the music is nearly constant thanks to having two main stages next to each other. We never had to wait more than 15 minutes between bands!

Special mentions to Hammerfall, Steel Panther, Saxon, Accept, Skid Row, 5 Finger Death Punch, Hell, Excrementory Grindfuckers, Apocalyptica, Motorhead, Emperor, Megadeth, Van Canto and Avantasia!!!!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Excrementory Grindfuckers

I'm going to look these guys up based on the name alone.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Excrementory Grindfuckers

I'm going to look these guys up based on the name alone.

That was the only reason we went to see them! They drew quite a large crowd, I would imagine of people going who the hell are they!

They are...interesting.

Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    They are...interesting.

They've definitely got a sense of humour.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It's fascinating how your tastes change with age. A decade ago I couldn't stand Decapitated and Nile, now I freaking love them.
  • Not been listening to a whole lotta new metal lately, but I have listened to this slice of deliciousness an awful lot. 'Tis Deafheaven's first new track since last year's Sunbather and will be released as a single later this month for the Adult Swim single series.

• I've borrowed two so called Townes Van Zandt metal albums from a mate at work.  They didn't sound particularly metal during a brief listen whilst ripping, but apparently these guys mean something to him:

338053.jpg?4935
    Will post thoughts soon.  I know nothing about it thus far.

This is probably a good place to mention Fall of Efrafa too (I may have done so a while back, apologies if I'm repeating myself).  Anyone heard of them?  They were a 'British atmospheric post hardcore band' according to Wikipedia, and they based a lot of their work around Watership Down.  Due to my obsession with the source material I've put many hours into them, and I've even started collecting the albums on vinyl because the artwork is so good, but FFS, why couldn't a band called Fall of Efrafa have been a wispy folk outfit?  It's reached the point where I do really like some of their stuff, but it's very much not for me barring the rabbits.

My recent round of cd exchanges also includes the albums To Be Kind (Swans), Draw back a Stump (Primate) and Today is the Day (In the Eyes of God - or perhaps vice versa, not sure which is the band name) coming my way.  As usual, I'll give them a go, but I wasn't keen on what I heard of the last one just now.
  • 'Sup Moot. I'm not familiar with Fall of Efrafa I'm afraid, but I'm diggin' that new Swans album and I used to love Today is the Day (terrible pop-punk like name aside). 

I got into them in high school in the 90's. Essentially one guy's vision they made proper genre warping stuff, mixing together grindcore, noise rock, black metal elements, the works. Not easily accessible, it absolutely worked for me. Eyes of God was the last album I bought and it featured a couple of guys who went on to form Mastodon. Gonna have to dig that one out I think.
  • Got new Godflesh EP 'Decline & Fall', which is brilliant - the return of Avalanche and their earlier sound mixed with the heavier end of their more 'recent' stuff (from Hymns). Looking forward to the new album and seeing them live in December.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 'Sup Moot. I'm not familiar with Fall of Efrafa I'm afraid, but I'm diggin' that new Swans album and I used to love Today is the Day (terrible pop-punk like name aside).  I got into them in high school in the 90's. Essentially one guy's vision they made proper genre warping stuff, mixing together grindcore, noise rock, black metal elements, the works. Not easily accessible, it absolutely worked for me. Eyes of God was the last album I bought and it featured a couple of guys who went on to form Mastodon. Gonna have to dig that one out I think.

Ah, I should've known there was a Mastodon link.  The guy who I borrow this stuff off has an interesting method to his monthly purchases - a vast number of of his albums are linked (in a three degrees of Bacon way) to either Mastodon, The Melvins, Tom Waits or Mike Patton.  He was after old Feist albums last month, because of a Mastodon connection.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone else excited for the new Slipknot album? In a teenager kinda way, I'm also super keen to see what the new masks look like for the new guys.

In other news, this university marching band in the US does a mean version of Killing in the Name. Gotta love the flute player in the red shirt who's clearly loving it.

• I can never get YT vids to work here.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Anyone else excited for the new Slipknot album? In a teenager kinda way, I'm also super keen to see what the new masks look like for the new guys.

Just saw the/a new Slipknot video. Has Taylor fucked his voice or something? Why is he singing everything?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    Just saw the/a new Slipknot video. Has Taylor fucked his voice or something? Why is he singing everything?

There's two new videos, aye. 'The Devil in I' and 'The Negative One'. Both are stonking, IMHO. Though I think you have to sign in to see the latter on YouTube, due to maturity warning. Weirdly enough, I reckon it's because the latter features boobs. The former just has each band member commiting suicide, no biggy. :P

Can't say I noticed him singing everything, but that's been a general trend with the 'knot, more singing and some softer numbers to break up the relentless blasting.
  • Did anyone else catch the SkyArts series "Metal Evolution"? Very well made and presented. I loved it. Charts, er, the evolution of metal. It was very very good.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Did anyone else catch the SkyArts series "Metal Evolution"?

Nope, but I'll keep an eye out for a DVD.
  • Saw the devil one. It's alright, but lacks the aggression of the earlier stuff I think. Sounding more and more like Stone Sour. Suppose they're getting old now though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    It's alright, but lacks the aggression of the earlier stuff I think. Sounding more and more like Stone Sour. Suppose they're getting old now though.

I concur.

Shawn Crahan (Clown) is 45 now, iirc. He'll be drawing his pension soon.
  • Stone Sour are good, I actually really enjoy them and they're pretty good live. It's just, at what point do you need to be in two bands who sound basically the same?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Not seen them live, mildly jealous now. I really liked the first Stone Sour album, but the second left me cold. However, House of Gold and Bones is pretty good, so I should probably give the rest of the discography another chance.

I'd argue that there's still a big enough difference in the sound of the two bands, but Slipknot have definitely got more mellow with age. If you've got a Google account, try logging into YouTube and watch 'The Negative One', that's more classic Slipknot sound. (Warning, the visuals are creepy.)
  • Seen them both live, sadly not with Paul Gray though. Slipknot have the bigger and more intense crowd, definitely.

Saw them play at Download after Gray died, where they asked for a minutes silence. The creepiest thing in the world is standing in a crowd of around 80,000 silent people while Gray's jumpsuit hung limply from a hook on stage, billowing in the wind.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    Seen them both live, sadly not with Paul Gray though. Slipknot have the bigger and more intense crowd, definitely.

I'd agree there, I got my tooth chipped at a Slipknot gig after I received an elbow to the gob. I was lucky enough to see them with Gray twice, once at Ozzfest 2001 and again in 2002 on the Disasterpieces tour. If you're willing to go through the DVD frame by frame, you might spot me! ;)
    Outlaw wrote:
    Saw them play at Download after Gray died, where they asked for a minutes silence. The creepiest thing in the world is standing in a crowd of around 80,000 silent people while Gray's jumpsuit hung limply from a hook on stage, billowing in the wind.

That's amazing. I heard they played with his suit and bass onstage. It must be hard enough being the new drummer, but the new bassist... crumbs.

I can't believe it's been four years since he died. Him and Fieldy were the reasons I learned to play bass guitar.
  • 'Tis indeed, and welcome back JJ!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!