Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Can someone explain to me Burzum? I know Varg Vikernes is a colossal ass hat, but his music seems to have some real longevity. Every now and again I have a listen, but it's just (IMHO, YMMV) mediocre black metal. Am I missing something?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Nope. His music is utter shit.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh good.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
  • I was on a call first thing this morning so couldn't listen properly, but caught the last 30/40 minutes uninterrupted. Good stuff Swirly :) That Mary Poppins thing tho...
  • Are Arboretum a metal band?  They don't sound it to me, at least not for the most part, but I've listened to The Gathering a couple of times this week, which I've seen referred to as a metal album.  They're sort of an Americana Wolf People.  Only heard the one record but I like it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    That Mary Poppins thing tho...

Mary is metal, no one fucks with Mary.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    Good stuff Swirly :)

Quick question, do I repeat myself too much? I'm always thinking that maybe people have me on in the background, or have only just tuned in, so I tend to re-state stuff over and over again (like the album of the week, etc.) I worry that it's annoying for anyone actually paying attention.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Is it... a metal type?
    IMG_20141216_220428_zpseuujlbiz.jpg
    Ba dum tish.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The Mortal Kombat X trailer is set to System of a Down's 'Chop Suey'. This genuinely upsets me.
  • A cracking little album.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Outlaw wrote:
    Good stuff Swirly :)
    Quick question, do I repeat myself too much? I'm always thinking that maybe people have me on in the background, or have only just tuned in, so I tend to re-state stuff over and over again (like the album of the week, etc.) I worry that it's annoying for anyone actually paying attention.

Shiiiiit Swirly I missed this bit sorry :( No I don't think you repeat yourself too much, I generally have a burning hatred for radio DJ's and wish they would mostly shut up but you were interesting without being a smug know it all and talked enough without being overbearing.

https://youtu.be/muQEqfOP_OU

I saw these boys recently and they were fucking amazing live. The stage is in a weird spot in the pub, it's kind of in another room but not really, lowered by about 5 steps and nestled behind a wall which gives it a submerged, cave-like vibe. The stage is tiny, maybe 6 foot by 12 foot and the band set up a really harsh spotlight to the side of them which gave a really harsh lighting and shadow effects while they played and headbanged and thrashed in front of it in this tiny, contained space. Would really love to catch them if they come by me again.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    Shiiiiit Swirly I missed this bit sorry :( No I don't think you repeat yourself too much, I generally have a burning hatred for radio DJ's and wish they would mostly shut up but you were interesting without being a smug know it all and talked enough without being overbearing.

Excellent. :)
  • You need to get a listen again thing though! Was at an early meeting today so missed it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I wasn't on this week due to a variety of reasons, but I'll be around next week. Due to the magic of time zones I'll be on from 10 am UK time.

An on-demand service would be great, but the station is tiny and manned entirely by students! We recently got a load of new gear that we got second hand from another station. On-demand is probably beyond our budget, sadly.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    New Slayer single. DAT BASS TONE.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Hey guys, as I come up to the end of my time in NZ, it's also time to wrap up my radio show. My penultimate show is today, at 10am UK time. My final show will be next Thursday (18th), also 10am, and will be a three-hour long special.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    D'oh, forgot URL. When the time comes: http://radiocontrol.org.nz/
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    D'oh, forgot URL. When the time comes: http://radiocontrol.org.nz/

I couldn't catch it due to work, sorry man :(

But since the album of the week thread is on hiatus I am here to request metal suggestions from Swirly and others. Throw any album my way I will check it out. I need new music and personal recommendations beat random suggestion playlists any day of the week.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I not going to now, but I was going to suggest Dreamweaver by Sabbat as album of the week. Everyone would hate it but it's the absolute pinnacle of 80s thrash, never been bettered.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    I couldn't catch it due to work, sorry man :( But since the album of the week thread is on hiatus I am here to request metal suggestions from Swirly and others. Throw any album my way I will check it out. I need new music and personal recommendations beat random suggestion playlists any day of the week.

No problem.

May I suggest:

Babymetal - Babymetal
    Behemoth - The Satanist
    Black Sabbath - 13
    Carcass - Surgical Steel
    Epica - The Quantum Enigma
    Ghost - Infestissumam
    Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy
    Liberteer - Better to Die on Your Feet than Live on Your Knees
    Marduk - Frontschwein
    Mushroomhead - The Righteous and the Butterfly
    Septic Flesh - Titan
    Skindred - Kill the Power
    Slipknot - .5 The Gray Chapter
    Within Temptation - Hydra

Semi-recent stuff that I remember thinking was top notch.
  • I was given the new Slipknot for my birthday, I do like it but don't you think it's very Stone Sour? Can barely tell the difference on some tracks.

All albums added to my list, thank you @kow and swirl.
  • New track from Ghost is so fucking legit it's unreal. Can't waaaaaaait for the new album!

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    I was given the new Slipknot for my birthday, I do like it but don't you think it's very Stone Sour?

It's true, but Slipknot have always been "fuck you we'll do what we want". Each album is very different (IMHO, YMMV).
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    New track from Ghost is so fucking legit it's unreal.

That was stonking. I love Ghost, they got special mention when I did my Masks and Makeup show because Papa Emeritus wears makeup on his mask. Meta.
  • I want rage and noise from Slipknot, nothing less!

Where I live has quite a big metal scene, one band is a weird gypsy/rock/metal thing with a theatrical flair and they all wear either face masks or face paint. Definitely ups their creep factor.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    I want rage and noise from Slipknot, nothing less!

When Slipknot go full ape shit, it's aces. But then I really like Vermillion Pt. 2, so swings and roundabouts.
    Outlaw wrote:
    Where I live has quite a big metal scene, one band is a weird gypsy/rock/metal thing with a theatrical flair and they all wear either face masks or face paint. Definitely ups their creep factor.

Sold. Find out a name for me and I'll track them down.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is Ghost what has happened to black metal since I last heard it 20 years ago? I like them a lot.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I wouldn't call Ghost black metal. Just metal, really.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well, it's all that satan stuff, it has that corny black metal ring to it. But without being unlistenable shit. They seem to be pop metal, if that's possible.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!