Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Yerp. It was easy enough till that bit, I couldn’t escape with out getting hit from
    Spoiler:
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Just gone back to the misty woods in Blind Forest and I’m trying to use the same controls. I’m going to have to wait a while to play this again - too much muscle memory from Will of the Wisps
  • Well off to Forlorn Woods now. This is still great though.
  • I might actually finish this then. Patch today has fixed all the big problems. Should've been there day one though as it's spoilt the game for me...

https://wccftech.com/new-ori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps-patch/
  • Good.  I wish there had been a bit more clarification on the day one patch at launch, by the time I realised it was in such a pickle I was already invested and I didn't have the will (-o') power to stop.
  • So Moot and Muzzy, did you get the achievement for beating the game? I only the one for
    Spoiler:
  • Not sure tbh, I'll have a look tonight.
  • Well that’s Blind Forest complete, now to find a game I can chill out with and not want to swear at the screen.

Not really played Hollow Knight (despite buying day one on the Switch), how does it compare?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's better! But not that chill...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Stardew Valley. Its super chill.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

I’ve read the signposting isn’t that great, that correct?
  • Stardew Valley. Its super chill.

Maybe but I did get Animal Crossing, maybe play that for a bit
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

I’ve read the signposting isn’t that great, that correct?

Kinda deliberately... But there are signposts...

• Hollow Knight is fucking amazing. Leaps and bounds ahead of Ori. The first couple of hours can be a little underwhelming, mainly because it's hard to know what sort of game you're playing, then you unlock a few upgrades and you hear a few different music tracks and it just gets better and better from there. It's stunning.

Anyone with even a passing interest in 2D platformers with a metroid ilk should buy this game, it's brilliant. I'm still playing it now.
  • Massive fan of Blind Forest and Hollow Knight.  I did enjoy Will-o' the Wisps, the freezing issues and some poor design choices took the shine off but it's still a quality game for my money.  Absolutely agree that Hollow Knight is extra special and the pick of the bunch, although it's almost certainly not the kind of chill you're after as an immediate follow on to Wisps/Forest (imo. Are we supposed to say imo after 'almost certainly?').

I reckon do a spot of turnip trading, or some other stuff for a while, and come at Hollow Knight fresh as a daisy in 6 months or so.  It'll be in with a shout for best game ever discussions forever.
  • Ideal, cheers chaps.

I’m guessing handheld with the joy cons is pretty bad as well ? I couldn’t imagine playing Ori in handheld
  • Also, how do you access the extras in the definitive edition of Blind Forest?
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Ideal, cheers chaps. I’m guessing handheld with the joy cons is pretty bad as well ? I couldn’t imagine playing Ori in handheld

I played HK exclusively in handheld when my JoyCons were box fresh but I wouldn't dream of it since the drifting started.  They were bad enough for Celeste when they worked properly, you can get away with it a bit more because of the way movement works in HK but they still made for some fiddly spike jumping here and there.
  • As others have said HK is superior but it’s a proper old school metroidvania. No sign posting - it’s all left to you. Ori (1st one, haven’t played the 2nd) is barely a metroidvania, and is quite linear in that you generally know where the game wants you to go next. HK after the initial hour or so is like standing at a roundabout with 20 exits - and you can take all of them, or at least start exploring them even if you can’t progress fully down them.

HK combat is mostly fair but tough.

No idea about the extras in Ori blind forest. I only played the DE version and I just thought they’d added a few areas and possibly skills. I do know they messed up the abilities and skill tree e.g. you can ‘unlock’ skills in the skill tree yet you don’t get that ability until you find it in the game - so stupid to have it in the skill tree. I assume the first game worked differently in some way.
  • Don't want spoilers, so have been avoiding thread. But have some glitchy sound in bits. Is this a known thing? On pc.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I had glitchy sound reverb when fighting the wasps nests on Xbox.
  • Man, this has potential to be incredible, but there's an awful old modem sound everytime loading happens in game.

And are they serious with this first challenge?

Completely bizzare pacing of skills difficulties etc.
  • It was by no means a smooth ride for me. Lots of silly design decisions, shonky performance and far too many needless spiky annoyances all over the place. A game like this doesn't need that many spikes to kill you so often.

The game was ruined by stuff that could've perhaps been avoided if they'd toned down the shines just a little.

The music did nothing for me personally, I know many like it. The tweeness of the whole game got on my tits tbh.
  • I'm in for the twee. Just don't go dark souls on me while the fucking flute is playing.
  • Well, 11gig update might fix things?
  • Ooh, way to stick my sarcasm up my bum ori. It did.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I'm just playing through the first one and enjoying it so far.

On Hollow Knight, it is in my top 10 ever for a reason
  • Well, this is good, and I'll likely finish it, but wow, bites hollow knight hard.

Update cleaned up a lot, which is good.

• Making progress. Game is a bit of a muddle though, and I don't mean because the map is metriody.

Its unnecessarily punitive with extra hits in so many spots. And so many ledges and spots to get to need to be so precise that you can think it's nto possible when it is.

Can you adjust res on the console version? Because I did find that the combo of adjusting brightness, contrast and res has made a difference. I can actually see what's happening in fights now, at least better than I could.

Still enjoying it despite all that.

• So this turned into a huge love affair for me. Fave game in ages and then came the update.
    The game worked flawlessly for me before the update so I guess I didn’t really need it but y’know, did it anyway. Did Luna Pools arrived at what should be
    Spoiler:

And instead I’m met with only the scene but without anything else. Jump in the water, nothing but a black screen. Can’t progress. Can’t do anything.

Reloads don’t do anything. Neither do resets. Brilliant. I’d very much enjoyed my 20 hours with it but there’s no way I’m starting it all again.

Humppffff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!