The British Politics Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I doubt the 70s were any worse than the shambles it is now.  It's a fair guess that greed and neglect has replaced the inefficiencies of British Rail.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The Scottish government seems to be a bit fucked right now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have a gander at NI. There's a lot of it about.
  • The Scottish government seems to be a bit fucked right now.

Sadly, it appears to be rather self-inflicted.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • LivDiv wrote:
    There are still a few that give it the old " guess you dont remember the 70s" routine No I don't you old fuck and neither do 90% of commuters because if they did odds are they would be retired.

Yeah, but they're statistically irrelevant. Even a majority of Tory voters want the trains nationalised.
  • For sure.
    Its nice to see a party recognise that rather than focussing on a few angry mentals.
  • Asking as a Scottish government noob.

The SNP will now govern as a minority. Will that change at the GE? or will it be at the separate election for Holyrood in 2026?
  • The Scottish Government is designed to run as a minority, hence the reason for the agreement between the SNP and the Greens.  It's a stick the Tories beat them with on a regular basis forgetting the fact that the only reason there are a couple of Tory MSPs in Scotland is because our democratic process allows for 'list' MPs in order to balance the power. It's almost like the Scottish Government gives a fuck about holding people in power into account. So we would never get the likes of an 80 seat majority in Holyrood.  I think the UK is alone in using the FPTP system for elections. Which is why Starmer should make that a priority.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Thanks Rev.

It has been particularly amusing seeing Scottish Tory responses this morning. Like they are totally unaware of what is happening in Westminster.
  • They're like a dug wi a burst baw. Their lack of awareness is always staggering and they'll often complain about the SNP while saying nothing about their own shit show down south. Or they'll complain and then do a 180 within 24 hours supporting Westminister.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Aye. One of things I like about the Scottish system is that it’s designed, from the ground up, to work collaboratively instead of competitively. No one party should ever have a majority. (The fact that the SNP briefly did, after the independence referendum, will be remembered as a statistical anomaly.)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's the same here in NI. There's a mandatary coalition with all sorts of scaffolding - special rules and powers of veto etc. It's a right bollocks.
  • The actor turned politician Laurence Fox has been ordered to pay £90,000 each in damages to two people he libelled by referring to them as “paedophiles” on social media.
  • poprock wrote:
    Aye. One of things I like about the Scottish system is that it’s designed, from the ground up, to work collaboratively instead of competitively. No one party should ever have a majority. (The fact that the SNP briefly did, after the independence referendum, will be remembered as a statistical anomaly.)
    Ironic cos one of the reasons it was set up in that way was to prevent the SNP getting full control.
  • Who knew that Rwanda and The Congo were different countries?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Who knew that Rwanda and The Congo were different countries?
  • The fact they wheel out Philp so regularly to do media rounds is damning of the quality left in the Tory party.
  • Sorry another Scottish noob question.

Just trying to get an understanding of what will happen if Yousaf loses a no confidence vote. I understand the exhaustive voting system bit.

My question is if Yousaf can run in that vote?

I mean I don't see how it wont be a SNP leader again at the least, even if not Yousaf. The Greens, Labour and the Tories aren't going to agree on another candidate collectively and I'd assume the SNP wouldn't vote against their own.

Feels like this is just a shit show that will disrupt actual politics happening, the thing people actually want politicians to be getting on with.
  • Oh wait. Labour have put in a motion of no confidence in the whole Scottish Government.
    So if Im reading right and that motion passes and a First Minister cant be decided on in 28 days there will be an election.

So all the opposition (is that the right term still, non-SNP) parties will disrupt electing a First Minister.

Shit. Show.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Where did that Tory Mayoral candidate come from? Fucking lunatic.

Is this the same balloonhead who left her purse on the train and claimed it was stolen in a move to complain about crime levels?  She still the candidate?
  • The London one?
    Yeah complete lunatic.

The right have put in an extraordinary amount of effort into smearing Khan only to put a totally unelectable moron up against him.
  • Record drugs deaths announced, record alcohol deaths announced despite the rise in MUP and being told that would work, NHS on its knees, housing a fucking joke but yay a month long vanity contest cos yer folk in charge don't like getting told no. Fuck aff you fuckin dicks.
  • davyK wrote:
    Where did that Tory Mayoral candidate come from? Fucking lunatic. Is this the same balloonhead who left her purse on the train and claimed it was stolen in a move to complain about crime levels?  She still the candidate?

Their preferred candidate Daniel Korski pulled out after sexual assault allegations against him.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The London one? Yeah complete lunatic. The right have put in an extraordinary amount of effort into smearing Khan only to put a totally unelectable moron up against him.

I'm kind of trying to detox a bit from everything online / contemporary politics / stupid non-news shit, so haven't been keeping up with this, but am I right that opposition to Khan (a decent-ish, capable, competent mayor who needs to sort out housing quick smart) is leading to Hall actually having a chance?
  • YouGov have Khan on a 19 point lead but Hall does seem to have made some ground while Khan has lost some.
    The impression I get is there is a lot of talk of it being closer than it actually ends up being but who knows.

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49199-sadiq-khan-holds-19pt-lead-over-susan-hall-with-two-weeks-to-go
  • Record drugs deaths announced, record alcohol deaths announced despite the rise in MUP and being told that would work, NHS on its knees, housing a fucking joke but yay a month long vanity contest cos yer folk in charge don't like getting told no. Fuck aff you fuckin dicks.

Do Labour have a better plan for Scotland? I know fuck all about Scottish politics tbh, other than you hate the SNP!
  • Funkstain wrote:
    but am I right that opposition to Khan (a decent-ish, capable, competent mayor who needs to sort out housing quick smart) is leading to Hall actually having a chance?

No. His lead has gotten smaller, but he's still massively in front.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!