The British Politics Thread
  • The crash had little to do with Labour, but they have been all too keen to agree with the Tories that it was their fault, so this is now unquestioned truth.
  • The government gave up their power to effectively control the economy and left everything in the hands of the City - those glorious wealth creators who's trickle-down wizardry would enable us all to bask in financial security and prosperity. Aside from the obvious capitulation of the Labour Party to banking and big business, which was a betrayal in the first place, it didn't work and the bankers shafted them, ran off with their bonuses and tanked the whole economy in the process.

Maybe it's just me but I'd say that was a bigger disaster than Corbyn's been involved in.
  • Blaming New Labour for a worldwide financial implosion that started in America is Daily Mail-level rhetoric.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not sure the government ever had that power even before the era of globalisation, TBH. A global economic crash is very hard for one country to avoid.
  • The fact Corbyn refused to take any form of responsibility for losing the seat is ludicrous.
    The party leader will always have an influence on how people vote in elections, always.

That is ignoring his anti nuclear stance in an area that where nuclear is a key issue.

As for the financial crash and Blair's media support or whatever else happened in the past I am concerned now about if Corbyn can lead the Labour party to winning a general election, or at least gaining seats.
    I don't see it, all I see is another 10 years of the Tories.
  • Labour would have had to predict an event that no one saw coming, convince everyone that it was going to happen in order to build support for taking measures against it and then start voluntarily curtailing the activities of our country's biggest industry and primary supplier of corporate tax revenue to escape the charge of causing the crash. There were plenty of mistakes New Labour made with the city and mega corps in general but the 2008 crash wasn't one of them.
  • Shami Chakrabarti on C4 is claiming Labour lost the seat because in the past ballots were weighed rather than counted and "cherished".

Fucking hell.
  • monkey wrote:
    Blaming New Labour for a worldwide financial implosion that started in America is Daily Mail-level rhetoric.

I didn't say that. I said their giving away of control hindered their ability to deal with it.

Personally, I'd rather Labour died than go back to the New Labour model, but whatever.

• You might get your way if Corbs fights a general election.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    For me, a functioning opposition is first priority. The further left the better, but if it takes Blairites to oppose what the Tories are doing, I'll take that over nothing.
  • Blairites to oppose what the Tories are doing

I have very little confidence they'd do owt of the sort.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's entirely possible that they wouldn't, but it's abundantly clear that Corbyn can't.
  • Maybe they can all abstain on another welfare cut vote so as to make a point to middle-England twats about how mature and nonpartisan they are (whilst accepting austerity is entirely necessary). With that fearsome kind of opposition the Tories will definitely think twice about their program of public vandalism.

A right-led Labour Party would at least delay the slow destruction of our health system and all our local services, beyond that though...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Are you referring to the same welfare bill as this article?

https://diaryofabenefitscrounger.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/why-did-labour-mps-abstain-on-welfare.html?m=1

Heartless bastards!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My second link then.
  • Do the Guardian prep you with handy anti-Corbyn articles?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Do you seriously consider either of those articles anti-Corbyn?
  • I didn't read them tbh. I was just being aggressive (apols, etc).

I just fundamentally disagree that Blair and his government were anything we should have been grateful for and a glorious return to the third way is anything we should be aiming towards.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't disagree with that, and I'm not arguing for it. I do think that if it is a choice between continuing with Corbyn and returning to Blairism, which I'm not convinced it is, although I could be wrong, then I choose whichever provides the credible opposition to the government. At this moment is time, that doesn't look to be Corbyn. My ideal is for a new left-wing candidate without Corbyn's baggage and a bit more media nous to turn up and take the fight to the Tories. And no, I have no clue who that might be, but right now, Corbyn feels like a liability and as long as he is in power, there seems to be little hope for Labour.
  • That's how they get you though. 

"We can't expect anymore, this is as good as it gets, you'll have to accept you can't have everything you want, be reasonable..." Etc.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Great, instead we'll have Theresa May crashing us out of the EU as she fails to get a deal, slashing workers' rights as she turns the UK into a tax haven, the NHS run into the ground, local services decimated etc etc.

Some choice.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    because his message never reached the majority of voters, or his message was confused and poorly delivered...

Both, I think, but also the way that he's portrayed by our news. Using my dad's wide social circle as a tiny barometer, Corbyn's unpopular with Labour's old working-class standbys, many of whom have drifted Kipwise, or even migrated to full-blown Torytown.

It's true that they blame migrants and foreign-aid and all the rest of it, so a compassionate Labour sells the idea of furthering those problems, versus Tory talk of crackdowns. A number of these charity-at-home Brecariats claim benefits and just don't see what's happening. Many of them'd vote for May in mind of pensions, the NHS, and national security... Trident; borders; hegemony...

LarryDavid wrote:
    Corbyn has never looked like finding a way to reach out to voters or reach through the swampy waters of lies, distortion, idiotcy and bias that is the British media and get his message across.

Besides PMQs, which hardly any bugger watches, where's his platform otherwise? That's the crux of it, I'd say. I have to seek his views, whereas hundreds of others' about him are all over the shop.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Question Time, Newsnight, Sunday Politics, The Andrew Marr Show, the Brexit Debates, all of the news bulletins. That'd be a start.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He'd get nobbled on all of those but Newsnight, and perhaps even then. Their audiences simply aren't his, nor any lefty's. Question Time in particular's a poisoned twenty. It's also the only one that a lot of old-school Labour-voters watch, and you'd lose more of them by appearing on it.

Some right-winger'd broadside him with left-wing fearmongering, and one of the things about working-class responses to such is that they're often contagious within their communities. Maybe one bloke watches QT and forms an anti-Corbyn view, and that soon becomes a consensus in his social environment. Independent thought's so rare in my experience of my dad's culture; there's a safety-in-numbers thoughtweed to be extremely wary of giving roots to.

Yossarian wrote:
    How does Corbyn not have access to the Labour PR machine?

Our Press liked Blair because he was good for business.

monkey wrote:
    Labour would have had to predict an event that no one saw coming, convince everyone that it was going to happen in order to build support for taking measures against it

What about Brown's gold?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    He'd get nobbled on all of those but Newsnight, and perhaps even then. Their audiences simply aren't his, nor any lefty's.
    But that's kind of the problem here, these exactly are the venues where he can reach out beyond his base, get himself known and perhaps be in with a chance of convincing people, but no, they get dismissed. Bollocks, if he wants to be in with a chance, he needs to go on those shows and argue his case, there literally is no alternative, as you have pointed out. If he gets nobbled, he gets nobbled, but at least people actually get to see him and get the opportunity to decide for themselves, instead he's just talking to an ever decreasing audience.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I agree with that in principle, but as someone who's spent his life mixing with poor people almost exclusively, I'd still caution against his appearing on Question Time until a GE run-up.

That's when a lot of poor voters are most malleable  — most likely to listen to their compassionate voices. Because if they're not in flux then there's a high danger of peer pressure getting to them once they return to their jobs, clubs, pubs...

And since a lot of Brits only talk about politics before a GE, I think it's best to strike as late as possible. It's inevitable that you'll still lose millions to peer pressure, though, which is the best argument for your gaining-ground attempt. My worry is that you'd build up resistance to left-wing ideas over time, as they were digested and rejected, so I'd rather try a slash-n-dash with well-presented policies to ameliorate.
  • Probably the best use of Corbyn at the moment is as an empty space filler. Whoever was leader would be flim-flamming all over the shop on Brexit. It would dominate any leader contest and PLP gobshites would talk themselves in circles saying as little as possible as vaguely as possible.

When Brexit starts to look like a bad idea to the people who voted for it, that's the right time to try and find someone with an alternative set of ideas. Labour have really nothing to offer at this point anyway. Let the Tories fuck it up and own the whole fiasco. Corbyn is the political equivalent of the test card.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!