The British Politics Thread
  • You'd get people moaning about accountability with AMS though. I think baby steps are required. STV is the nearest thing to FPTP, and therefore more likely to pass.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    This is quite a funny story - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4424812/George-Osborne-QUITS-MP.html

It's the Daily Mail, but seems legit.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • God the Parliamentary procedures are fucking weird.
  • Kind of irrelvant bollocks though.
    Yes and No. It is irrelevant to the election yes, but it also a good explanation on why voting in this election:

-For Labour as an Anti-brexit strategy
    -For UKIP & Green in any seats
    -In any truly safe seat

Is actually pointless.
    cockbeard wrote:
    So it's still always someone who was at least standing in your area? That put my mind at ease somewhat. I liked FPTP because it has straight accountability, you know who your MP is whether you voted for them or not.

Yep, though you wouldn't have one MP you'd have several probably over a bigger area.
    Also you'd almost always have some MPs in the actual government.
    And the Goverment would be more likely (but not necessarily) to be a coalition of like minded parties. A Strong anchor party like the big three Lab/Lib/Con and smaller, but significantly more powerful versions of your other parties, Greens and UKIP etc and independents

It would be a much truer representation of how people voted rather than the tory part getting 35% of votes and 100% of power.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • stv chat.

We don't want any kind of foreign nonsense here
    Spoiler:
  • kneecap wrote:
    Yes and No. It is irrelevant to the election yes, but it also a good explanation on why voting in this election:
    -For UKIP & Green in any seats
    Is actually pointless.

That's patently not true in Brighton Pavillion, and possibly not true in Bristol West.
  • Yes and No. It is irrelevant to the election yes, but it also a good explanation on why voting in this election: -For UKIP & Green in any seats Is actually pointless.
    That's patently not true in Brighton Pavillion, and possibly not true in Bristol West.

Even if they win a seat, they will have 1 or 2 max, they wont be in any possible government and won't enact a single policy.

If you're against brexit, they can't do anything for you.

The only possible way to get out of Brexit:
    -Is a swing to Lib Dems so they outright win the election - The biggest election upset in history
    -Enough Lib Dems get elected that some sort of Lib Dem coalition is possible (also including SNP) and Labour boot out Corbyn and decide to become anti brexit.
    -May decides to put the final deal to a public vote, it loses, UK begs the 27 to remain in EU, and no one Vetos it.

Ok in scenario 2 they can be part of a broad coalition that would be true.

To be clear, I'm in the camp that thinks brexit is the only thing that matters.
    If you've accepted brexit, you can vote for who you want.

17952842_1438758082853343_6059144202632088988_n.png?oh=1d43f1a973064b7df866d753708bb6b6&oe=5990D93B
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There is some wiggle room on Brexit based around the priorities for a deal. So, in your scenario 2, Labour need to ditch Corbyn and become anti-Brexit, but what they can do instead is just continue to prioritise being part of the single market over controlling immigration. When the EU inevitably insist on the indivisibilty of the four freedoms, they have space to reposition themselves.
  • ITV and Beeb grow balls and will empty chair May (although probably they'll do a compromise thing).

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_58f772afe4b029063d35a543
  • There is no reason for them to bow down to the Tories this time. Stage the debates, if she turns up, she turns up, if she doesn't, well fuck her.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup. Hurrah.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/19/gina-miller-best-for-britain-tactical-voting-against-hard-brexit
    But Miller said it was important that the often splintered anti-Brexit movement did not become “like Dad’s Army”. She said: “We need to have a galvanising moment. We need to have a strategy and a structure. Time is not on our side, so we have to put aside egos. It is about being pragmatic.”
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • How do we not get a hard Brexit? A Lib Dem majority?

It's time to move on, there are other policies to debate. Of course this GE campaign will just be another tedious and pointless rerun of the Referendum debate. Except we might see a tiny bit more of Corbyn.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Pretty much the only way we're likely to see a hard Brexit is with a Tory majority, and it's certainly possible (although fuck knows how likely), that a large Tory majority will deliver a softer Brexit than a smaller one owing to the loony right of the Tories being diluted.
  • I think a Lib/Tory coalition could see a soft Brexit.
    I don't believe May actually wants a Hard Brecht but she can't be and soft and be Thatcher 2.0. A Lot coalition could mask it as compromise.

I don't think we are going anywhere but full fat, double decker, super size, mega jawbreaker, turbo plus alpha, hard Brexit.
  • We need the Tories to not get a majority.

Lib Dem revival could see them stealing seats back from the Tories. But what happens to Labour seats, fuck knows.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Tories are easily going to get a majority.
  • Labour are fucked.
    In the past 24 hours I have been reconsidering voting for them.
    Will see how the next couple of months go but I'm open to voting for anyone right now (except Tories or Ukip obv).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

Almost certainly.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Labour are fucked.
    In the past 24 hours I have been reconsidering voting for them.
    Will see how the next couple of months go but I'm open to voting for anyone right now (except Tories or Ukip obv).

And there lies the problem. There are plenty of people who would never vote tory. More than would only vote tory. The problem is that the anti tory vote is split 2 or 3 ways, which means that they will very likely gain a number of seats, especially with labour being in such a mess.
  • Agreed. It is definitely a problem the left faces, especially when they won't work with each other.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Almost certainly.
    After the Trump debacle, this actually fills me with hope :-D
  • Only chance of Tories not increasing their seats is both May or a senior Tory making a major fuck up or some EU Brexit stuff blowing up in an embarrassing way AND Corbyn or Farron making a huge breakthrough. 

Anything's possible. Except Jeremy Corbyn making a huge electoral breakthrough.
  • Tories are easily going to get a majority.

Agreed, they're going to horse it in England, and maybe wales. Think they might gain a few seats up here, in the borders area and possibly the islands to the north. Their propaganda down south will be 'we're the only ones strong enough to get a good brexit deal' (they're stronger than labour, still think the EU is going to concede fuck all though), and up here it'll be 'we're the only ones that can defend the union', (clearly banking on the fact the Union's more important than EU membership, or at least hoping that it is).

Think it'll work a charm down south, can see them gaining 60-75 seats.

Up here, they only need to gain a few then they can start crowing that the SNP are in decline and so is support for another indyref.
  • 38% of Scottish people voted to leave the EU so there is a very real possibility they may not vote for the SNP. I can see the SNP losing a few seats while still remaining the dominant party up there.

Matching the success the SNP had last time was always going to be tough.
  • So much talk about the SNP, but let's not forget about Wales too.  Labour are looking weak in 8 seats over there, all up for grabs by the Tories.  I like Corben's policies, but his failure to communicate them means he's losing Labour's heartlands.   He needs to pull something out of the bag now, or we are all truly fucked.

Edit:  Like May's head out of a bag, Medusa style would do.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Having been optimistic at the last three elections (well, 2015, referendum, trump) I'm going full on pessimism for this one. Followed by emigration somewhere.
  • New Tory policy.
    NOBODY LEEEEEEAVES!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Having been optimistic at the last three elections (well, 2015, referendum, trump) I'm going full on pessimism for this one. Followed by emigration somewhere.
    As I said earlier in this thread, I'm fully expecting a huge Tory majority from this. Pretty much the only way that things could turn out worse is if we somehow manage to vote in Stalin, and his reanimated corpse packs us off to the gulag.

It's an oddly liberating feeling.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!