Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Are you sure she's not really Eddie Izzard and it's all a joke?
  • Firebomb the Mail forever.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't know if you've noticed, but the Tories haven't exactly traded in reality.

They don't need to. Everyone is blind it seems.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's obvious to us: May can't win any voters from televised debates, but could lose some quite easily. It should probably be written in law that they're mandatory from now on. She has a lot of support from our middle-aged and elderly, the old dears especially.

Corbyn's problem — as we've covered a hundred times — is that remainers are just as likely to be Tory voters, while many leavers aren't. Post-Blair, only one market seems to be visible en masse, and its people are either outright bastards or decent-enoughs plagued by ignorance.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's going to be "will of the people, only way to ensure a good brexit, hard working families" bullshit for the next 2 months.

Labour have no chance and the Tories are going to have an overwhelming majority. It's all a little bit depressing and I'm not going to give it any more of my energy other than to cast my vote (which is pointless as I live in a super safe tory seat).
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Right-and-proper Torytown here, also. But I'll vote all the same.

By post this time, though, 'cause I can't face having to walk past so many Skipories again. I wasn't going to last time, but it was a lovely evening that day, so I went along to rep our Green with you lot in mind. I did my pointless bit.
  • I'm in a communication black spot and I've just found out about this GE and caught up on this thread. I might just walk out into the Loch this morning and not come back.

I think I will vote LibDem this time - even though I said I never would again. I caught their PPB on the Beeb the other week and I really liked it, it seemed to capture something that chimed with me.

I live in a safe labour seat anyway, so it'll make no difference who I vote for.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I'm genuinely concerned that the voter turnout is going to be poor, again, especially amongst the under 30s.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    I'm genuinely concerned that the voter turnout is going to be poor, again, especially amongst the under 30s.

True, especially given recent results. The grey vote is too powerful, and that's exactly how the Tories like it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    In other news, Theresa May says she's not going to call a snap election.

Then, having presented the British public with a fait accompli, calls a snap election.

Which essentially boils down to this.

Thanks much, you borderline fascist cow. You've pushed the horse out of the gate and then given us a vote on whether or not to close it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Genuine question, what has she done that was particularly fascist, just I thought she campaigned to remain

Don't get me wrong, as the figurehead for what boils down a right bunch of wronguns I've no love for her or anyone else in Westminster but I've not seen her do anything particularly fascist

Trying to decide if I can genuinely trust Corbyn at the moment, when he got the leadership I thought he was the first Labour leader I've trusted since John Smith. But stoic silence now looks like ineptitude and impotence. Though amongst my sosh meedya feeds, many people all across the country have had the opportunity to see him in the flesh at his various grass roots rallies, and many of them feel enthused by him

I genuinely believe that a simple sop to the brexit crew based on slightly tighter freedom of movement, something like must have been born in the EU, not merely a citizen, or must have been a citizen for at least 10 years or at the age of 16 whichever is less, could be enough to get both sides onside. Being as this is a Brexit Election basically, you might as well campaign on that and that alone, any other policies will only be seen as a bonus
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Worst thing in the world to happen to democracy

It simply reinforces the belief that your vote is worthless and encourages people not to vote for whoever best represents them

Imagine a house full of independents
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    It's obvious to us: May can't win any voters from televised debates, but could lose some quite easily. It should probably be written in law that they're mandatory from now on. She has a lot of support from our middle-aged and elderly, the old dears especially. Corbyn's problem — as we've covered a hundred times — is that remainers are just as likely to be Tory voters, while many leavers aren't. Post-Blair, only one market seems to be visible en masse, and its people are either outright bastards or decent-enoughs plagued by ignorance.

The smart politician will want to turn this into a rerun of the referendum.
    They have to point out that there is no real plan, and that this Brexit process will hurt anyone who is not rich.

Also, this should be on TV every 3 days.

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Worst thing in the world to happen to democracy It simply reinforces the belief that your vote is worthless and encourages people not to vote for whoever best represents them Imagine a house full of independents

In a FPTP system your vote often is worthless though.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Articles like Polly Toynbee's in The Guardian are supremely unhelpful right now. With a General election round the corner, the last thing they need to be doing is talking down Corbyn. People like her should be pushing the policies which she herself admits are fairly tame, and instead of moaning that people don't like Corbyn and the Tories will spin the policies negatively.

You can do your own fucking spin. You have a platform and right now you are NOT fucking helping.
  • Is it though? Didn't the 'unseat a Tory' voting campaign work pretty well the other year?
  • Articles like Polly Toynbee's in The Guardian are supremely unhelpful right now. With a General election round the corner, the last thing they need to be doing is talking down Corbyn. People like her should be pushing the policies which she herself admits are fairly tame, and instead of moaning that people don't like Corbyn and the Tories will spin the policies negatively.

You can do your own fucking spin. You have a platform and right now you are NOT fucking helping.

She's​a giant tosser, who cares
  • BTW lol at May saying there will be No TV debate, as if she gets to decide that.

The BBC, ITV and SKY get to decide that, I think you'll find.

You get to decide if you show up or not. Given that she said she won't, it's likely she will.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • IMO you have to ask yourself, what is your goal:

Stop Brexit (and yes it still can be stopped)
    OR
    Remove the Tories.

Voting for Labour can't stop Brexit and that's the problem. They are not the opposition on that matter. (and its questionable they are the opposition on any matter.)
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    kneecap wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    Worst thing in the world to happen to democracy It simply reinforces the belief that your vote is worthless and encourages people not to vote for whoever best represents them Imagine a house full of independents
    In a FPTP system your vote often is worthless though.

Would agree, my worry about some alternative systems is a lack of understanding how they then distribute MPs and who get's to decide who represents where

Although that is fudged all the time anyway, parties placing up and coming politicians in safe seats etc, rather than local people who understand local issues. Another thing to add to my manifesto, you can only stand in a ward where you have been registered for at least five years
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @Cap.

Reducing the Conservative majority greatly increases the chances of Brexit being stopped (although I suspect that these chances are pretty slim at the moment), whoever those seats are taken by. If Labour have the best chance of beating the Tories in your area, you should probably vote Labour, although I wouldn't blame anyone for deciding to choose someone else.
  • So Over here we have Single Transferable Vote Proportional Representation.

The country is Divided in 32 Counties, 26 in the Republic.
    These form part of the culture of Ireland, Counties have short hand attributes, personalities (e.g. People in Cavan are stingy) accents, there is inter country rivalry in sport etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_constituencies_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Elections are fought in Multi Seat Constituencies, and while there is not a 1:1 relation ship with  counties there is a lot of over lap.
    Dublin city of course has many constituencies.

So the constituencies themselves are between 3-5 seats based on Pop.
    Personally not a fan of 3 seaters, IMO thats too small.
    the constitution has requirements on number of TDs per population.

330px-Ireland_Constituency_Map_2016.svg.png

In the elections the parties can run as many people as they like in an area, of course they need to be careful not to split the vote.
    Candidates campaign for your "No 1 Vote" and often also mention a colleague to vote No2 or No3 for.

In the voting itself you can vote for as many or as few as you like.
    You vote by placing a numerical preference beside the candidates.

?width=400&version=1454826

Your vote is counted for your number 1 pick.
    Vote counting happens in Rounds. A Quota of votes (in general not just "no.1" votes) is determined to be required.
    If No-one reaches the Quota, the candidate with the lowest amount of (In round 1: No.1) votes is eliminated.
    This will be the obscure no-hopers in the early rounds.
    These votes are "redistributed":
    All votes for the eliminated candidate are gathered and then the Number 2 vote is checked on each. If there is no vote for a Number 2, then that vote is now finished and worthless.
    The totals are checked again to see if any one reaches the quota. If not the next lowest is eliminated.
    Eventually Someone will reach the quota
    They are elected and their surplus votes are redistributed.

mayo-ballot.jpg

_88483787_vote.jpg

And the cycle continues until all seats are filled.

Because the voting is transferable, you can impact a wide range of candidates, vote for who you want to win as well as pragmatically, the person closest to your viewpoint who actually can win.
    You don't have to compromise.

Cross party transfers are key. And this is why we have a much broader range of parties and higher proportion of independents in our parliament.
    Though it is still dominated by the two centerist/center right civil war parties. but not to the extent of how the house of parliament is essentially a 2 horse race ignoring the nationalists.

The largest party in the state, have tried 3 times via referendum to change from PR STV to FPTP. Thankfully it always failed.

?width=500
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Yeah, I like STV, that's what I would have pushed for.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    So it's still always someone who was at least standing in your area?

That put my mind at ease somewhat. I liked FPTP because it has straight accountability, you know who your MP is whether you voted for them or not. In my head I imagined a scenario where say the greens won 20% of the vote so they get 20% of the seats and choose who they place where. Which is a bit ridiculous, as why would a Brummie really have any clue about the challenges facing farmers in Dorset for example

edit: When I say liked, I mean I recognised that part was a good thing, but about the only good thing about it, it reinforces a bipartite system and reduces the impact of independents, that bit I hate
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Which is a bit ridiculous, as why would a Brummie really have any clue about the challenges facing farmers in Dorset for example

I believe it's called talking to them.
  • Gideon has quit as MP of Tatton.
    No surprise there.
    "It is immoral to be an MP and have several high paying jobs which create a conflict of interest"

"I will quit being an MP then"

Most Tory move ever.
  • Kind of irrelvant bollocks though.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    In my head I imagined a scenario where say the greens won 20% of the vote so they get 20% of the seats and choose who they place where. Which is a bit ridiculous, as why would a Brummie really have any clue about the challenges facing farmers in Dorset for example

That's a closed party list election.

I'd go for AMS if I was selecting an electoral system. Has significant advantages in relation to proportionality over STV.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!