The British Politics Thread
  • If there's any liberating from this approaching doomscape it'll definitely be an odd one. Is the British way.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Having been optimistic at the last three elections (well, 2015, referendum, trump) I'm going full on pessimism for this one. Followed by emigration somewhere.
    As I said earlier in this thread, I'm fully expecting a huge Tory majority from this. Pretty much the only way that things could turn out worse is if we somehow manage to vote in Stalin, and his reanimated corpse packs us off to the gulag.

It's an oddly liberating feeling.

Stalin would be on our side (for a bit).
  • We might 'liberate' an outpost or two, Falklands style.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tbf we wouldn't need any visas for a gulag.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'd vote for Lucas first and Corbyn second if I could, and I still don't like having to vote for them by proxy via locals. Results from my corner in 2015:

Conservatives — 26,247
    Lib Dems — 18,662
    UKIP — 5,644
    Labour — 3,780
    Green — 2,331 (my 1)

Even if the Libs, Labour and Green had gone Planeteers, there still would've been a shortfall of 1,474. The only tiny bit of good news is that Corbyn finally gets to address the public directly, rather than through a prism of awfuls who hate what he stands for. It probably won't help him much, but at least there'll be someone speaking up for the shat upon.
  • Doesn't matter if Corbyn addresses the public directly; it will be extremely hard to combat rhetoric such as 'how can you unite and lead a country when you can't even unite and lead your party?'

Crosby will have the Cons destroying his credibility at every opportunity.
  • Doesn't this whole "we must unite the country" rhetoric kinda make a mockery of the idea of democracy?
    In that, nearly half the country didn't (and still don't) want brexit, so why the fuck would or should they unite and support it? Surely it's entirely our right to dissent?
  • We're supposed to be the United Kingdom,duh.
  • No they lost this thing that is exactly like a sports final and should just get over it.
  • I'm not sure many people appreciate the difference between democracy and mob rule at this stage. Certainly the further right you go.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Mostly because people are dumb

Corbyn will surprise you, I wonder if he will also the leadership debates, because they fly in the face of what he purports to stand for, despite it being an easy way to point score over May, who will likely turn up anyway

Grass roots support for Corbyn is far stronger than I suspected, the more I look. Maybe his methods of campaigning, by intending pretending it's the early eighties and the Jess press will fuck him no matter what he does so ignoring them might not be a bad move

edit : oops, cockocorrect
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The whole United thing really pisses me off.
    A decade of politicians and the media pointing fingers at groups to deflect blame from themselves and the super rich.

Blame the poor on benefits, the gypsies, the immigrants, blame the EU and Russia or the brown people over there.

A decade of division.

Then when the people get tired of that and talk back we are told to unite.
    I don't hear "Unite" I hear "Sit down and shut up".
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What you need now is a massive outbreak of bubonic plague, to put the icing on the cake.
  • djchump wrote:
    Doesn't this whole "we must unite the country" rhetoric kinda make a mockery of the idea of democracy?
    In that, nearly half the country didn't (and still don't) want brexit, so why the fuck would or should they unite and support it? Surely it's entirely our right to dissent?

You've clearly failed to understand the situation Chump. A MAJORITY voted for Brexit - so anyone who didn't is in the MINORITY and if you complain about it at all you are clearly a REMOANER, ANTI-DEMOCRATIC and HATE BRITAIN.

It was voted for by a majority. A CLEAR majority. THE MAJORITY OF THE COUNTRY. Everyone voted to leave the EU, stop immigration, make Britain Great Again.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    A MAJORITY voted for Brexit - so anyone who didn't is in the MINORITY.

… And you know what we think of ‘minorities’, eh?
  • I think there's a bit of a difference between those old folks who grew up pre-EU and were raised on a diet of 'who won the bloody war anyway?', distrust of foreigners, ideas of Ye Olde England etc, for whom the EU was merely a modern day imposition and those (like most of us here) who grew up accepting that membership of the EU was completely normal and right.

My Dad's pretty lefty but yet he's fine with Brexit and probably voted for it (I've not asked him). He's by no means a little Englander, still moans whenever a Tory comes on screen and generally seems unaffected by Daily Mail disease. But yet he doesn't see Brexit as a big deal. I think it's a bit of a generation gap thing. Most older folks I've spoken too feel the same: a 'we did it in the 50's and it was fine' attitude.

Loads of us younger/slightly less decrepid people have only ever known being a part of the EU.

I may be completely wrong of course, and this is only based on anecdotal evidence.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Tories are easily going to get a majority.
    Almost certainly.
    After the Trump debacle, this actually fills me with hope :-D

I've been thinking this.

The Brexit referendum was uniquely polarising, and a good number of people have questioned their leave vote. Very few people have questioned their stay vote. If there was a second referendum, what do you think the split would be a second time?

60/40 to remain this time, perhaps?

Where Theresa has tied her colours to a Brexit, that will have a marked negative effect.

If Labour was championing a campaign to reverse the referendum decision, there was no way Theresa May was going to risk losing her position. But even without clear opposition, everyone remembers Farage, Trump and Boris. Everyone's starting to talk about the price of olive oil and tomatoes...

It's not over, by a long shot, but Corbyn is not helping.

That said, Labour couldn't risk pissing off 50% of voters by rejecting Brexit either... His basic campaign outline ('public services, especially schools and the NHS have been mismanaged') is sensible, but it will go over most heads...

His best bet then, is to spend most of the time describing the softest possible Brexit, in near perfect detail...

That way, he'd make Theresa and her lack of planning, look incompetent.
    What's more, I suspect a soft Brexit would cost less, and be easier to negotiate.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If anything, polls show an increase in support for leave since the referendum.

Public opinion may yet shift the other way, but it hasn't done so yet.
  • As much as I criticise him, Corbyn has started this campaign well. His only chance of success is to embrace populism and keep hammering away with the 'us and them' message. He needs to win back the working class vote that was lost to UKIP. His strategists need to be looking at Podemos and Syriza; to a lesser extent taking notice of the campaigns of right wing populists like Trump, Le Pen and Wilders. Populism over nativism.
  • So far (and I admit it’s very early) Corbyn’s message for this election seems to be ‘let’s bring down the wealthy ruling elite’. Which I’m okay with, but it does ignore the Brexit-shaped elephant in the room … and it does feel unfortunately reminiscent of Trump’s campaign message.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    If anything, polls show an increase in support for leave since the referendum. Public opinion may yet shift the other way, but it hasn't done so yet.

You know how subtle some of those polls can be though...

Shit like:

'Now that parliament has ratified the intention to trigger Article 50, are you still happy with your MP?'

Or some jumbled shit like that.

7 weeks though... 

I've just spent like, 30 seconds reading about the last time a snap election was called... Shit wasn't pretty back then either.

Not a position any MP (Prime or otherwise) would want.
    It's pure chaos.
  • From chaos comes opportunity. Or more chaos.

Probably the latter.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I wouldn't blame the polls, the shift seems pretty consistent across those that I've seen. If it was a question of how it was worded, you'd expect some going on the other direction.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    From chaos comes opportunity. Or more chaos. Probably the latter.

Indeed.

Which is why it's premature to bet on a Tory *ahem* whitewash.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    intending it's the early eighties and the Jess will fuck him no matter what he does

If Postman Pat's not in Corbyn's corner, who is.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I wouldn't blame the polls, the shift seems pretty consistent across those that I've seen. If it was a question of how it was worded, you'd expect some going on the other direction.

No one wants to be a remoaner. It's the will of the people, we need to just get on with it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    intending it's the early eighties and the Jess will fuck him no matter what he does
    If Postman Pat's not in Corbyn's corner, who is.

Well they're not public workers anymore are they

That said though, in Finland the Post Office already deliver milk, yoghurt, bread and other essentials (like the old milkman used to do) and now they'll even mow the front lawn for you as well
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    No one wants to be a remoaner. It's the will of the people, we need to just get on with it.

If anything, this is a good opportunity to soften the fuck out of a 'Brexit'.

A soft Brexit, carelessy explained though, would be a disaster.

Imagine championing a scheme to keep all existing EU laws, without the privilege of vetoing or voting on them...

That just sounds like a retarded thing to stick up for...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Well I think the logic is that we have had the chance to veto stuff we didn't like already, so enshrining current EU law isn't a problem, it's the future EU laws they're worried about

But yes, a lot of retardedness all over, where's that lotto win

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!