The British Politics Thread
  • I take each election as it comes.
    Different situation, different leader, different manifesto.

I am still undecided but Im not ruling them out.

I can understand feelings of betrayal though.
    Worth pointing out Farron voted against the bedroom tax and the tuition fee rise.
  • I will admit I've not read particularly deeply on them this time around as I live in Scotland and there's no reason to. But they've got a lot of people to convince.
  • For sure, they never should have got into bed with the Tories.
  • For sure, they never should have got into bed with the Tories.

They did a reasonable amount of good though.
  • Farron has got a good record on this stuff though. He voted for that bill until he couldn't get some religious amendment clause passed on it. As far as I can make out, he thinks a lot of stuff is technically sinful. Presumably he thinks the out of marriage sex I have with my girlfriend is sinful. Yada yada privilege I know, but I couldn't give a monkeys about it. He votes for equality and fundamentally believes in it. I'll let him off that one mistake.

May's record is bad though. Voting against reducing the age of consent and gay people being allowed to adopt. Not an issue for her though. Admittedly Farrons mistake was more recent.

• Its the same kind of moral prevaricating that really fucks the Left up constantly. May needs the boot, firm and proper, to get her grubby dictatorial ambitions to fuck, but everyone's arguing about who the limpest PM would be out of Farron or Corbyn. May goes around repeating ad-lib the same shit: "Corbyn will lead us to Chaos! Corbyn doesn't care about defence!" and the people who don't want her in are too divided to get her out. A result of a shit system I guess.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I pretty much agree with that too. I'll be fucked if I'd ever vote for them though. I remember the last time I did that. They'd need to make a fucking obsidian monument promising not to be a Tory footstool.

They have ruled out any coalition.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I had a wrong-number phone message from my old high school this morning (left at around 10), asking why Aiden wasn't in. Because he was down as away on holiday last week and hadn't reported in.

Fuck me! They don't mess around with absenteeism any more, huh. My attendance there was probably around 40% aged 13, and I left a year later. No fines in them days.

So naturally, I'd be wary of Gonzo's idea, but not against it in theory. In recent years I've found Coursera, Udacity, Harvard, and Khan Academy pretty damn awesome for their learning materials. They put my schooling to shame for pedagogy. The national curriculum needs a huge overhaul.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm predicting a May win, by the way. Against my better judgement I've been reading some norm forums, and it's so depressing to see the odd brain shot down by ignorance that's so ignorant it can't recognise its own ignorance. This Is Dunning-Kruger '17.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I did have a work colleague admit to me today that (despite the fact he hates labour) he realised how much the media twist everything that Corbyn says in the most negative way possible.

• Tempy wrote:
    I pretty much agree with that too. I'll be fucked if I'd ever vote for them though. I remember the last time I did that. They'd need to make a fucking obsidian monument promising not to be a Tory footstool.
    They have ruled out any coalition.

That's good then. I hope they've bought some obsidian.
  • I did have a work colleague admit to me today that (despite the fact he hates labour) he realised how much the media twist everything that Corbyn says in the most negative way possible.

I liked the video about the Trident test fuck up where May was asked twice (thrice?) if she knew about it when she brought the vote to renew it to parliament, and she just kept blathering on about the nation's safety, defence, and how Corbyn is against it. Settle the fuck down May, he was asking a question about your knowledge, not Corbyn's stance on nuclear deterrents.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I just hope the hope of all hopes that right-wingers are more drawn to baconmouthing their yap on popular forums.

I might even bet on May winning for a consolation, because that's money that I wouldn't mind losing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not really sure that the Lib Dems ruling out any coalition is much better, TBH. At best we vote for a remain voice in a majority Conservative parliament, at worst what? Another election if no one party can form a government?
  • I wonder if they would stick to it if a Lab/Lib coalition was a real possibility.
    I mean, they want to say they won't because it is the best way to get votes for their own party, but would they really risk a second election and a Con majority if they could have a left wing coalition? It would be very, very short sighted.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    They've been a carcass since Kennedy left.
  • They have doubled their members in recent months. Kids love zombies.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I wasn't talking about their numbers.
  • I reckon at least 50 majority, best case. Probably well over 100.

UKIP will flop, ex-Ukippers won't touch Corbyn and will go back to Hard Brexit Tories. Lib Dems might rally a bit.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I'm not really sure that the Lib Dems ruling out any coalition is much better, TBH. At best we vote for a remain voice in a majority Conservative parliament, at worst what? Another election if no one party can form a government?

Confidence and supply agreement.
  • Lib Dems will at least double their numbers, and many of those seats will come from the Tories.
  • There'll be no need. Tories will landslide it.

In a week Labour have come out with meaningless vague statements about broad policy ambitions, an unfulfillable promise of more bank holidays, and another mess over Trident highlighting their internal divisions.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Confidence and supply agreement.
    True, I forgot about those.
  • The trident thing is not helping.

The bank holidays thing is a good idea. If people are swayed by how a man eats a sandwich they will definitely go for 4 more days off a year.
  • The bank holiday policy is so easily spun as making them look economically naive though. It'll lose as many votes as it gains.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If people believe that, they're idi...

Wait, forget I said anything.
  • Haha.

I was going to say, if people love the economy so much why did they vote to wreck it?
  • WorKid wrote:
    There'll be no need. Tories will landslide it. In a week Labour have come out with meaningless vague statements about broad policy ambitions, an unfulfillable promise of more bank holidays, and another mess over Trident highlighting their internal divisions.

£10 minimum wage, an increase in the carers allowance, universal free school meals, repealing the Trade Union Act, and renationalising the railways don't particularly seem like meaningless vague statements to me.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    No, but have those been reported on TV yet?

How much have you had to dig?
  • Labour are saying they will scrap May's Brexit plans and guarantee the rights of EU residents before talks start.
    That is good news for my constituency. Very close between Lab and Con but with a high population of second and even third generation immigrants that are eligible to vote. 
    Around 15% of the population is Italian (up to 30% part Italian) and I think about 5-10% are Polish. Both communities have been here since the 90s or earlier.
    That is without the reasonably sized West Indian and Middle Eastern populations.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!