The British Politics Thread
  • Labour have ruled out Jeremy Corbyn appearing in a TV debate if Theresa May doesn't. Pretty much the only chance he had of speaking directly to a sufficient number of voters to salvage something from this and he doesn't want to. It also lets May off the hook. A debate going ahead without the PM would have been very damaging and they could have built on the idea that she doesn't want to debate the issues and has nothing to say. Instead, they've given her a free pass. 

Election over. Stick a fork in it.
  • That does seem pretty dim.  Surely the one proper chance you get to speak direct to the most people and tell them your policies and views without media spin has to be taken....made even easier when the main oppo isn't there trying to make you look bad.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • It's tough to call, as there's a lot of potential choices in a competitive field, but this is probably the stupidest thing he's ever done.
  • Dear Old People, 

Please die.

Yours Sincerely,

The Under 40s
    Capture01_zps0p3ffbfp.png

Capture02_zps9ytmqr5m.png
  • The thing is when people actually meet him... they like him. The best thing he can do is go out and knock on as many doors as possible over the next few weeks in the top target seats.
    Just to go back a bit, but 'target seats'? What the hell are the target seats? There's seats where Labour are desperately hoping to cling on, is that what you mean? I doubt they'll gain a single new seat.
  • I'm in the process of converting home videos to digital.  Mixed in there for some reason is a few hours of BBC News 24 from late 2002 and there is some interesting footage as it's the build up to the invasion of Iraq.  Might record it and stick it up on Youtube.
  • monkey wrote:
    The thing is when people actually meet him... they like him. The best thing he can do is go out and knock on as many doors as possible over the next few weeks in the top target seats.
    Just to go back a bit, but 'target seats'? What the hell are the target seats? There's seats where Labour are desperately hoping to cling on, is that what you mean? I doubt they'll gain a single new seat.

Any seat where the majority is low, whether it's a seat Labour hold, or the Tories. List of constituencies by majority here.

This is going to be a difficult election for sure. But sitting around moaning isn't going to help. We all need to do everything we can to bring out every vote we can to dent the Tories.

Greens are not running a candidate in Brighton Kemptown. The MP there Simon Kirby actually seems fairly decent, but since his majority is just 690, he has to be a target.
  • We all need to do everything we can to bring out every vote we can to dent the Tories.

Tony Blair apparently didn't get the memo.

Or thinking about it, did he? Has he realised he's so toxic an endorsement from him would cripple Labour?
  • Johnson is potentially using the GE as a back door to following the U.S into Syria without having to have MPs vote on it by taking action while Parliament is dissolved.

Fucking top Lols this.
  • We all need to do everything we can to bring out every vote we can to dent the Tories.
    Tony Blair apparently didn't get the memo. Or thinking about it, did he? Has he realised he's so toxic an endorsement from him would cripple Labour?
    I think he's trying to get people to vote Labour in spite of Corbyn.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How do you cripple something that's already crippled?
  • Have Blair vouch for it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Old, but still relevant

sqedc4rx.jpg
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Johnson is potentially using the GE as a back door to following the U.S into Syria without having to have MPs vote on it by taking action while Parliament is dissolved. Fucking top Lols this.

Purdah would say that really shouldn't happen, but politicians are snide cunts
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • He claims "it would be hard to say no" if the U.S asked.
    Fucking hell, at least Blair pretended we weren't just lapdogs.
  • The pretence was pretty unconvincing I'd say.

"Bomb some towelheads? Well there's an offer I can't refuse.."

He's right, it is hard to say no.

But that's what 'strength' is apparently, unquestioningly deferring to US demands, unlike Corbyn, who's weaknesses Boris kindly pointed out.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The Skips are standing aside in Wells to give the Tories a clear run. The Tories won in 2015 by ~7k over the Dems, and UKIP received around 4k votes.

When history details our impending downfall, it won't begin with May's incoming majority or Brexit, it'll start with AV. Millions of people (my parents included) bought the Auf Wiedersehen angle, saying that they didn't see the point of voting for anyone but their favourite. Their first mistake was that nothing precluded them from continuing to do so, but they saw it as overcomplicating the system and making it somehow less representative.

But here we are and I have to vote Lib Dems against my wishes to have the best chance of helping Labour. I'm wasting my vote if I choose Green again.

The best-case scenario is for Corbyn to do better than expected and, before leaving, to do what Miliband did, but this time triggering a referendum on PR. Farage and his supporters would get behind it — in fact, everyone but the Tories probably would — and then us newly empowered Greens might be able to get a few MPs into power. And from that acorn...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    One of my work reports will be the Green Party candidate in Edmonton, it seems. Which is kind of exciting. Much as I want the Greens to do well my current project would be fucked...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As much as I'm all for more representative voting systems, I don't see that as a panacea: disillusionment with modern politics doesn't seem to be limited to countries that use FPTP.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    One of my work reports will be the Green Party candidate in Edmonton, it seems. Which is kind of exciting. Much as I want the Greens to do well my current project would be fucked...

Leak their emails.
  • http://uk.isidewith.com

Apparently I side most with SINN FEIN
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    TERRORIST SYMPATHISER!
  • Put a bomb under The Resa May
  • Interesting results from my entries.  There was no questions on Scottish Independence which would have dropped Labour down a bit and raised SNP/Greens up a bit but it does fit my idea that I'm a Labour voter voting SNP until a better option presents itself after independence.  I'm hoping that a new (no capital letter) Scottish Labour emerges that isn't run by Tory cunt sticks.

SBGLo4w.jpg
  • 78% Lib Dem, 73% Labour with SNP and Plaid inbetween who I can't vote for anyway.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    http://uk.isidewith.com Apparently I side most with SINN FEIN

That's a sick site.

66% Labour,
    66% LibDem

Figures.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • TJjB9u0.png

I'm not sure how representative this is of current policies, but results are about as expected.

Love that I side with UKIP on no major issues. That's a badge of honour right there.
  • 74% Labour is my top result, which is kind of depressing.

I should also move to southern Scotland apparently, which is not.

I am left wing and mildly authoritarian which is spot on tbh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!