The British Politics Thread
  • Really to which bit?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I don't like what's happening to Diane Abbot.

The last time this happened, was with Estelle Morris...
    You know? People rounding on a high profile politician for no good reason?*...

Ironically, Estelle herself was as close to a bonafide example of a technocrat as one could find in the current UK system.

So would be interesting to know what you thought of her lot...

*And, of course, Corbyn.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I described her originally as a token because her clear ineptitude makes me wonder if some positive discrimination might be at play here

I stated quite clearly what I don't like about her, and how to me she represents many of the facets of modern politics that I can't stand. Her constant courting of fame is a major factor in propelling her into the shadow cabinet, perhaps expediated by mass resignations, but always on her planned career trajectory
    I wrote:
    Fuck allies

Give the job to the person best qualified to do the job

This was not a criticism of Corbyn, it was a criticism of politicking, I thought that my previous post had framed this for the reader, and that the post after it would have cleared up any remaining ambiguity, but that was obviously a mistake on my part
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I described her originally as a token because her clear ineptitude makes me wonder if some positive discrimination might be at play

Right. Well there isn't.
    cockbeard wrote:
    Her constant courting of fame is a major factor in propelling her into the shadow cabinet, perhaps expediated by mass resignations, but always on her planned career trajectory

It isn't though. She's been an MP since 1987. It wasn't until 2010 that she got a frontbench role, when Ed Milliband appointed her to Shadow Minister for Public Health. She was there for 3 years before being sacked. She came back when Corbyn won the leadership, but was given the distinctly unimportant role of Shadow Secretary of State for International Development. Then everyone quit and Corbyn was forced to move her to a more important role, that of Shadow Health Secretary.

Then Andy Burnham quit to run for Mayor of Greater Manchester. Again she was moved because loads of Labour MP's refuse to take up Shadow Cabinet roles. If other MP's were willing to do the job, Diane Abbott would not be Shadow Home Secretary.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    So she spent almost 20 years on the backbenches, then after around 5 years on telly box suddenly found herself on the front benches

Not sure how that doesn't reinforce my point. Obviously direct causality can't be proved here but it's quite a coincidence, is it not?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There was a period where some shadow cabinet members were holding two posts as that is the only way they could be filled. A bowl of jelly could have been in the shadow cabinet if it had been elected as a Labour MP.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    So she spent almost 20 years on the backbenches, then after around 5 years on telly box suddenly found herself on the front benches Not sure how that doesn't reinforce my point. Obviously direct causality can't be proved here but it's quite a coincidence, is it not?

It dispels your point, because you suggested she was there because of her race/sex.

The point is, in the clear shortage of willing volunteers, she is amongst the best qualified ministers for the job.

Shame this insipid negativity detracts from the real point here, which is Labour's intention to put more police on the streets.

Some parts of London could really do with that right now. I wonder if anyone even gives a fuck though. It's a pipe dream with the Brexit cost on the horizon, anyway.
  • She found herself on the front bench because she ran in the leadership election that Ed Milliband won.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    ANYONE FOR CHPS?

C-0qIXUXoAAtERr.jpg
  • SHE CANT EAT CHIPS CHANGE YOUR VOTES ERYONE
  • 46B51EB7-E5B7-4A4A-848E-588638BCA659_zpsvhghcaoq.jpgMay hates chips just like she hates Britain!
  • Just seen a PPB for The Cunts. Tag line:
    "Theresa May: Strong Stable Leadership in the National Interest."

Honestly, did we timeslip to the 1950s or something? What a shower of wet, chunky cancerous shite.

Brooks was right. Murder it is.

Gamertag: gremill
  • What's that all about then?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • SNP’s Treasury chap straight-up accusing the Tory party of illegally snaffling £5m in election campaign funding from a bailout package that was meant to prop up a failing Tory-party-run business. His source being the HSBC annual general meeting, where they were asked about it and fluffed answering.
  • Interesting.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • monkey wrote:
    46B51EB7-E5B7-4A4A-848E-588638BCA659_zpsvhghcaoq.jpgMay hates chips just like she hates Britain!
    It writes itself but Abbot would still fuck it up.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Why does he say laundered? Just I don't think that Julia's House are aware of my financial circumstances when I donate to them. Funny get me wrong, clear conflict of interest of the party treasurer is a director of a company that makes significant contributions, just seems that your boy is asking the wrong questions, and the use of the term laundering seems to leave him own to having his evidence thrown out unless the laundering can be proved
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Quasimaydo.

(I've just checked to see if anyone beat me to it, and happily, yes.)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Laundered = obfuscated where the money really came from; seems apt enough to me. Though it is perhaps overly suggestive of illegality.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    "This is a negotiation. They lay down what they want and we lay down what we want."

That's really not a great way to actually negotiate a compromise answer. Gah.

Meanwhile, "Vote Tory, We'll Drop More Bombz".
  • Do the tories have any actual policies announced, as in ones that could appeal to the general populace and make you consider logically that they may be a smart choice, or are they just running on a platform of 'repeat strong and stable, and take the piss out of labour constantly'?
    which labour are then making really easy for them, by appearing weak and unstable and incompetent.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The latest Brexit number being thrown around is...

Billion.
    Euros!
    UCG7I2.gif

I can't take this shit seriously anymore.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Do the tories have any actual policies announced, as in ones that could appeal to the general populace and make you consider logically that they may be a smart choice, or are they just running on a platform of 'repeat strong and stable, and take the piss out of labour constantly'?
    which labour are then making really easy for them, by appearing weak and unstable and incompetent.

There was something about capping energy bills, which was a Miliband policy which they ridiculed when Labour suggested it, plus their policy of being a strong arse table, not being Corbyn, and look at Corbyn, I mean look at him. Just. Look. At. Him.
  • I lost count of the number of times Davis repeated that the negotiations would be "tough" this morning.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Really and truly I think that the Tory campaign is shocking. No policies, avoiding the public and ducking scrutiny. By all rights there should be some sort of backlash against them at the ballot box, but I sense that by far the most depressing part of this is that by the end of it, they'll still be looking at an increased majority.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    I lost count of the number of times Davis repeated that the negotiations would be "tough" this morning.

Well. There's a need for 'strong and stable leadership' to effect a 'tough' stance.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/02/eu-brexit-representative-trolls-theresa-may-twitter-use-strong/

Addendum - Remember seeing this dude on Newsnight, or something. I've always liked him. I suspect, however, a lot of people don't:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!