The British Politics Thread
  • Is anyone sick of hearing the stock phrase "Only Theresa May and a Conservative Government can provide the strong and stable leadership blah blah blah..." yet?
    It's an effective one, sadly. Heard my Dad say something similar about Cameron last time (although he didn't vote for him in the end). The counterargument that he/she's an utter cunt who will destroy people's lives carries some weight, I like to think. Or the one that 'stability' currently equates to a slow, downward slide into oblivion. Might as well risk something else...

• has may also fucked a pig or any other ungulate?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • No, just the poor.

Also, in a piece of perfect timing, just read Monbiot's column and it covers similar ground:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/25/vote-labour-jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may
  • Yeah, that whole "The Tories are best for the economy" schtick rings pretty hollow now they've taken us to brexit.
  • Labour still aren't doing anything to change people's mind though. This is like the last election when Ed failed to say anything about the false impression that the 08 crash was their fault.

If Labour won't say anything then perception won't change. The Tories aren't going to correct people.
  • I quite like their increase corporation tax and give it to nurses thing. Looks like policies are finally starting to flow.
  • Is anyone sick of hearing the stock phrase "Only Theresa May and a Conservative Government can provide the strong and stable leadership blah blah blah..." yet?

All I know is that the alternative is chaos under Jeremy Corbyn

• Tempy wrote:
    Is anyone sick of hearing the stock phrase "Only Theresa May and a Conservative Government can provide the strong and stable leadership blah blah blah..." yet?

A coalition of chaos.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Is anyone sick of hearing the stock phrase "Only Theresa May and a Conservative Government can provide the strong and stable leadership blah blah blah..." yet?

Yep, but that won't stop us hearing it approximately 11.2 billion more times between now and June the 8th.
  • my general impression so a far is that the conservative 'policy' is "vote for us cos Corbyn is pathetic"....
    and the Labour response from Corbyn is to shrug his shoulders, which is taken as confirmation he is pathetic by the public.
    meanwhile lib dems are being crushed before they even had a chance to try a comeback cos their leader is too principled/bigoted/stupid to say the politically correct thing over his religious belief. there's probably a delicious irony for the right-wing press where they can hammer the lib-dem leader for 'not being liberal' enough whilst a large part of their 'audience' prob share that view!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

A coalition of chaos.
    Brexit vote passes, everyone who was pulling for it suddenly quits their posts - seems rather chaotic to me.

Plus, I'd rather have a chaotic mess than be systematically and deliberately fucked by wealthy assholes who are shafting everyone to increase their own wealth.
  • JonB wrote:
    Vote for chaos!

Ironically voting for chaos is what people did with Brexit. And Trump.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yep, but that won't stop us hearing it approximately 11.2 billion more times between now and June the 8th.
    “Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice – stability and a strong government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband”
  • MattyJ wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Vote for chaos!
    Ironically voting for chaos is what people did with Brexit. And Trump.
    Pfft. Fake chaos.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    “Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice – stability and a strong government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband”

Come back Ed :(
  • Sad chaos. Bad chaos! Small words!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Come back Ed :(

But bacon sandwichgate!
  • "Look at this gormless cunt! He looks weird eating a sandwich! How could we possibly trust him to run the country?!"
  • Makes about as much sense as “But her emails!”
  • Like anyone looks like Women Laughing Eating Food when actually eating
  • More like Women Struggling To Drink Water, amirite?
  • "How can he be trusted to run the country when he can't be trusted to get himself dressed properly in the morning?" was one vox pop I heard a while ago. An old Labour voter on Corbyns lack of neckwear.
  • Bet you that old cunt would like Richard Branson though.

I agree, it's​ such a non sequitur. I can think of a few alternatives who would provide even stronger and more stable leadership.

- restoring the absolute monarchy.
    - Annexation and direct rule by Russia.
    - electing the editor of the daily mail as dicdacre for life.
    - an Islamic revolution naming mullah Aziz or wotevs dictator.
    - signing over all sovereignty to Brussels
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    "Look at this gormless cunt! He looks weird eating a sandwich! How could we possibly trust him to run the country?!"

There was also that latent issue of him almost breaking his own brother's neck to gain power.
    That's quite a widely known story too. 

But I get your point.

With that in mind, when you look at Corbyn's media profile too, a good number problems are of his own making. The brown suits, the perception of him being weak on threats to national security, his stubbornness... 

I suppose though, that the main issue of him being at the centre of all the instability in the Labour party, is certainly not his own fault.

I understand why he's stuck to his guns, but it's hamstrung the much needed opposition to Senator Palpatine's daughter.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I suppose though, that the main issue of him being at the centre of all the instability in the Labour party, is certainly not his own fault.

I don't let him off scot-free for that. A leader needs to lead, and that includes leading people who don't necessarily agree with you and dealing with those who might want to undermine you.
  • The thing is when people actually meet him... they like him. The best thing he can do is go out and knock on as many doors as possible over the next few weeks in the top target seats.
  • He needs to meet about 7 million people in 7 weeks then. Doable.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm not sure if he's been consistent, because since the first day he took up PMQ's, I'd not really paid much attention to Corbyn since, but I remembered liking his gimmick of leveraging case studies ('Judy from Weymouth believes...')...

He's really smashing those out today (apparently the last PMQ session before the election). It's made for good reading on the BBC live feed.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!