Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    What is its role, actually.

Reporting the news, mainly.

Edit: And providing commentary and analysis on the news from a liberal perspective.
  • Interesting to see how things are reported. Reporters of all stripes generally agreed Corbyn did well with Andrew Neil, and Neil didn't really get anywhere with the IRA questioning.  Just found on The Express a video titled "Corbyn flounders as Andrew Neil lays into him over IRA links".
  • Brooks wrote:
    What is its role, actually.

Read manufacturing consent

• I wish Guru-Murthy had held off a bit longer before springing the trap.  Fallon was providing more rope to hang himself when he was interrupted.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Strict interview time limits I imagine. Need to factor in his mental oh golly fucked it.
  • Interesting to see how things are reported. Reporters of all stripes generally agreed Corbyn did well with Andrew Neil, and Neil didn't really get anywhere with the IRA questioning.  Just found on The Express a video titled "Corbyn flounders as Andrew Neil lays into him over IRA links".
    I thought Neil got him bang to rights tbh. Corbyn didn't have much of a defence (not one he wanted to articulate anyway).
  • A new poll has Tories back up to 46% and Labour on 34, which would give them a 100 seat majority so back to the doom-mongering I suppose.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    not because the Guardian is secretly right wing and/or neoliberal, but because the Guardian does not see that as its role.

It sells on left-wing presentation, a facade that successfully hides a few of its values from the majority of its readers. It has some good articles, but it also tries to subvert what most liberals want from this country to what it tells them to want.

It's an influencer in upmarket left-wing clothes that doesn't show the courage of its purported convictions. It betrays many of the beliefs that it uses as currency.
  • Depends on the polls. The ones I saw a few days back that had Labour making ground were and average over several polls.
  • Na, just the one poll with 5. Other polls showing 10 point lead, labour at best in low 30s.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Every proper psephologist is treating this poll as an outlier. But press is looking for a story, I guess.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    not because the Guardian is secretly right wing and/or neoliberal, but because the Guardian does not see that as its role.

It sells on left-wing presentation, a facade that successfully hides a few of its values from the majority of its readers. It has some good articles, but it also tries to subvert what most liberals want from this country to what it tells them to want.

It's an influencer in upmarket left-wing clothes that doesn't show the courage of its purported convictions. It betrays many of the beliefs that it uses as currency.

It has differing opinions to many liberals, and certainly isn't as radical as many would like, but the idea that it is making some wilful attempt to subvert radical ideas is fanciful, IMO.
  • Intent or not, that's the product.

I think equating its fudgey liberalism with shrewdness in a sea of loonies would be a mistake.
  • Whether intentional or not (depends on how conspiratorial your mindset), the effect is the same, to take any radical leftwing sensibility that might develop and reroute it back towards moderation and 'being reasonable' via the medium of well meaning but useless liberalism, a slightly more ethical brand of consumer capitalism and vague hippy-dippy niceness.

IMO, etc.

EDIT: it's not all the Guardian's fault of course, the generally shitty nature of their competition isn't to be blamed on them, nor the fact that they simply found themselves touted as the most leftwing of a narrow consensus by the hopelessly limited nature of what's available on the news racks. It also doesn't mean to say that good things can't sneak out from Guardian towers.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's the New Labour of print, which isn't a crime by itself, but it bothers me that its opponents (Littlejohn et al.) frequently cite it as the loony left. That sort of global narrative drives a repeat of our political-centre-becoming-left steerage.

It's not nearly enough of a right-wing counterpoint for me, and I don't believe that it'd suffer too much for lurching leftwards. For the many lefties, not the gentrified few.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Talking of it being the New Labour of print, I saw Corbyn being described as an accidental Blairite recently (not in the Graun) which I thought was pretty good.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean, I'd expect fewer wars under Corbyn than Blair, obvs.
  • I couldnt give a fuck if we have a Blairite or a Marxist right now. Just get rid of these Tory cunts.

No time for this Goldilocks business.
  • Btw, all the major pollsters are now weighing in favour of Tories in these polls - a 4% lead in actual data becomes 10%. "Because 2015" basically, the turnout rate for Tory voters was so much higher. I go by the voteuk forum, a nerd forum for psephologists and party campaigner types. Worth a gander.
  • None of them saying the pollsters are wrong, it's just suspicious science. They were wrong so they adjust by how much they got it wrong last time. But what if corbo as leader makes their method more or less wrong?
  • Still fancy over 100 majority for El May.
  • The silent right (or whatever they called it) seemed to be a big thing last round. That group will have eroded somewhat and become right and proud.

Generally I think politics is too complex for polls to be as accurate as they once were. Right and left used to be rich and poor but now it is rich, poor, conservative (not necessarily Tory) and liberal in a 4 way diagram.

For example, Mama livdiv is a Tory voter yet very liberal in terms of gay and race rights.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Btw, all the major pollsters are now weighing in favour of Tories in these polls - a 4% lead in actual data becomes 10%. "Because 2015" basically, the turnout rate for Tory voters was so much higher. I go by the voteuk forum, a nerd forum for psephologists and party campaigner types. Worth a gander.

Well, some changed their weighting, some changed their sample, and others did both. Until the election though, no one knows which approach is the best.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I would have thought people would be more likely to be quiet Labour supporters at the moment than quiet Tories. Before the election campaign the Tories were perceived as the only half-way competent party available, so why be embarrassed to vote for them?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    No embarrassment at public-school gates, I'm sure.
  • Mama livdiv is a Tory voter yet very liberal in terms of gay and race rights.

Being shitty about poor people, many of whom are gay and not white, definitely seems liberal.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!