The British Politics Thread
  • I'm not so sure on that. I mean we're still in the position of it being a generally held belief that Labour were the cause of a worldwide recession, because an MP left a vaguely amusing post it note for his successor.
    Labour were in power. Labour overspend. Labour left a note saying all the monies have gone. These are simple things that all feed into each other and Labour didn't bother defending themselves against it properly. It would take a far more convoluted and implausible chain of reasoning to place the blame for Brexit at Labour's door.
    Except that they didn't, the Tories and the papers just said they did. I'm not saying that it's as simple as that, but I don't see it as a dead cert that this would all be placed squarely at the Tories door. Especially if May can't deliver the mandate she said she needs.
    It wasn't clear but I was referring to the widely held belief that they are habitual overspenders, not what the actual numbers were at the time. 

If May doesn't get a majority, she'll be gone and they'll probably have Boris Johnson in charge and another election. If she clung on and, for some reason, brought Labour into the mix on Brexit, then maybe they could be a scapegoat. That would be a trap and one that Labour should stay away from.
  • Ah, I see, although again, it's something that isn't true.

By mandate by the way, I meant a  significantly increased majority, not simply winning the election. Since they already had a majority, and apparently this wasn't considered a mandate. It would be interesting to see how they Tories react to either a lower, or barely increased majority.
  • They will say they were elected with a majority on their manifesto and now have a clear mandate from the British people on their brexit plans.
  • Doesn't matter what the majority is, a win is proof they have they authority to do as they please.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't think anyone is denying that. It's more a question of how they manage to then blame somebody else when shit goes wrong.
  • I wonder how long they manage to keep a straight face when reminded that they called the election because they didn't have a sufficient majority, and then call a lower majority a mandate.
  • If they get the same or similar numbers, they are fucked. May will have her grammar schools and other grim stuff so the Lords won't block it. But the party will have it in for her and just like now, they won't be able to put anything through without rebels scuppering it. The Tories would probably keep her there long enough for her to be the scapegoat then get some fresh-faced, non-Brexit bastard in to give them a facelift and hope everyone forgets what they've been up to. 

I'm still expecting a sizeable Tory win though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    As we begin the negotiations about leaving the EU, we will be able to reassure Germany and other European countries that we are going to be a strong partner to them in defence and security

Have they forgotten security being a thing they explicitly included as up for negotiation in their Article 20 letter?
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Btw, all the major pollsters are now weighing in favour of Tories in these polls - a 4% lead in actual data becomes 10%. "Because 2015" basically, the turnout rate for Tory voters was so much higher. I go by the voteuk forum, a nerd forum for psephologists and party campaigner types. Worth a gander.
    I've trawled through some of this site since you mentioned it. It's good. Some interesting stuff on the polls - they've consistently overstated the Conservative support since 2015 (when they changed their models), they're based on turnout rates from the last election but can vary a lot between elections (e.g. they factor out some young people because they say they'll vote but then don't), this time round there was quite a spike in registrations of the young, suggesting increased motivation. No one really knows whether the people who came out for the Brexit vote will go back into not voting or they'll vote Tory now or what they'll do. Overall turnout is hard to predict and, as per the Brexit voters who haven't been voting in recent years, no one knows whether an increased turnout will skew the vote one way or the other. Factor in all the seat by seat stuff, Brexit, Corbyn. No one's got a clue in other words. The guys on that forum still seem to lumping for a big Tory win though, seemingly from the overall consistency in the polls despite their varying methodologies.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The silver lining is definitely it undeniably being all their fault. As we lie in ruins. Pyrrhic victory?
  • monkey wrote:
    legaldinho wrote:
    Btw, all the major pollsters are now weighing in favour of Tories in these polls - a 4% lead in actual data becomes 10%. "Because 2015" basically, the turnout rate for Tory voters was so much higher. I go by the voteuk forum, a nerd forum for psephologists and party campaigner types. Worth a gander.
    I've trawled through some of this site since you mentioned it. It's good. Some interesting stuff on the polls - they've consistently overstated the Conservative support since 2015 (when they changed their models), they're based on turnout rates from the last election but can vary a lot between elections (e.g. they factor out some young people because they say they'll vote but then don't), this time round there was quite a spike in registrations of the young, suggesting increased motivation. No one really knows whether the people who came out for the Brexit vote will go back into not voting or they'll vote Tory now or what they'll do. Overall turnout is hard to predict and, as per the Brexit voters who haven't been voting in recent years, no one knows whether an increased turnout will skew the vote one way or the other. Factor in all the seat by seat stuff, Brexit, Corbyn. No one's got a clue in other words. The guys on that forum still seem to lumping for a big Tory win though, seemingly from the overall consistency in the polls despite their varying methodologies.

Guy called David boothroyd is worth following on there. Labour councillor, hates corbo. You'll like him :)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    It's more a question of how they manage to then blame somebody else when shit goes wrong.

They'll blame Europe and the majority of their voters'll agree. Punters waking up and smelling the coffee's a fantasy scenario based on all evidence to date.

It'll be easy for our Press to paint the remaining members as a vengeful coterie meting out punishment. Dunkirk spirit and spuds. Daily Mail can run a campaign to deport Romanian travellers because they're taking up our veg-growing patches.
  • Are you ready for the non debate?
  • Are you ready for the non debate?

At work, forgot to tape it.
  • Jesus, what a stupid fucking question.
  • Oh another fucking pearler.

PULLING A NUMBER OUT OF THE AIR IS UNWORKABLE BOLLOCKS THATS WHY HE WON'T GIVE A FUCKING NUMBER
  • "I don't see any difference between you and the Tories on Brexit"

Have you not been paying fucking attention?
  • Why have you made it impossible for me to vote for you by doing good things, I'm a selfish bastard, fuck everyone else.
  • I think I'm in love with Corbyn.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This thread is a rollercoaster of emotion.
  • Oh, that's it. Jeremy Paxo interview next.

Hopefully he's got a question that isn't pants on head.
  • I'm confused by this PSVR/Peugeot crossover ad.
  • I don't think that Paxman understands how a manifesto is written.
  • Ahahaha, the answer to the monarchy question, brilliant.
  • "Mate, I couldn't give a shit about the Queen, I've got more important shit to do".
  • Give it up on the manifesto Pax Man. This isn't UKIP, one man doesn't decree it.
  • No, you can't finish your important point, I want to ask you a stupid question!
  • Misjudged the room on the Bin Laden question mate.
  • Corbo is too good for this world.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!