Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Everyone is sticking the boot in over it. It amazes me how hung up people get over this shit. The figures are there, he just couldn't remember them off the top of his head.
  • It's ridiculous. He wanted to check them rather than make a mistake. There's nothing wrong with that.
  • As sole author of the manifesto he bloody well should I reckon
  • Seems like the surest thing to make any politician or indeed regular human look shit is to ask for hard numbers.

Politicians are supposed to be well above regular.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Well the fact he can't remember every item in a 100 page manifesto is a disgrace. How could he ever run the country?
  • If only there was some other way of storing information other than in our brains.
  • Hey we all did Maths at school which uh lots of us promptly forgot.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    no deal + bad deal =
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Shit can't remember
  • The problem isn't failure to remember figures, it's not being able to weasel out of it convincingly when it happens. Leadership = weaseling ability (other mustelids may qualify).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Badgering can certainly be useful.
  • Problem with Beardo's 'meltdown' isn't that he couldn't remember a figure plucked out of a 100 page manifesto. It's that he appeared on that programme specifically to talk about the policy, and wasn't prepared enough to have the figures to hand about how much it costs. He found himself in that situation despite knowing that a) Labour are always going to be asked about their costings and b) other members of his inner circle have been tripped up in interviews with exactly this problem. It's very amateurish. Few people would turn up at meetings at work as unprepared as he was for that interview. 

That wouldn't have amounted to anything though if he'd just said "I'm sorry, I can't recall the exact costings off the top of my head. Just give me a moment to find them." At which point, the presenter would have probably supplied them rather than have dead air. And then no one would be talking about this. But, inexplicably, none of them can quite manage even that sliver of honesty when they're caught out like that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not true, I never put any preparation into 'meetings' at work

talking of which, should probably check out the situations vacant thread
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Tech jobs don't count. You can slip into tech speak and they'll just assume you know what you're doing.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Problem with Beardo's 'meltdown' isn't that he couldn't remember a figure plucked out of a 100 page manifesto. It's that he appeared on that programme specifically to talk about the policy, and wasn't prepared enough to have the figures to hand about how much it costs. He found himself in that situation despite knowing that a) Labour are always going to be asked about their costings and b) other members of his inner circle have been tripped up in interviews with exactly this problem. It's very amateurish. Few people would turn up at meetings at work as unprepared as he was for that interview. 

That wouldn't have amounted to anything though if he'd just said "I'm sorry, I can't recall the exact costings off the top of my head. Just give me a moment to find them." At which point, the presenter would have probably supplied them rather than have dead air. And then no one would be talking about this. But, inexplicably, none of them can quite manage even that sliver of honesty when they're caught out like that.

He did say pretty much just that didn't he?
  • Yeah, but it's Corbyn: the joke, the scruffbag, the terrorist sympathiser, the unsuitable leader...

Imagine if some Blairbot had misremembered something like this? Wouldn't even make the news, just some tiny column in the Private Eye centre pages.
  • His only crime is not being smarmy enough to bullshit his way out of it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Who is EB

Why do people seem like they've studied interview technique from Chris Morris
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Emma Barnett, interviewed him for Woman's Hour on R4
  • Has May appeared on there?

I'm betting the questions were far more light and fluffy if so.

"I love your shoes Mrs. May, where did you get them?"

"Is it difficult being so strong & stable, ALL the time?"
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    His only crime is not being smarmy enough to bullshit his way out of it.
    Yes and no. A Tory would have bullshitted their way out by talking for 2 minutes on only something tangentially related to the question of figures, any interruption from the interviewer would have been met with "Sorry can I just finish this point because I think it's a really important issue." 

JC tried a half-arsed bullshit and it didn't work. Obviously this is now being blown up out of all proportion because it feeds the Tory message.
  • It's slightly embarrassing, for a politician.

If it happened in real life you'd just sympathise with the person and not be a dick about it.

All adds up to nothing though, do we believe Boris has all the information at his fingertips, or Theresa? Does it matter? Not really. It's just another example of the petty, irrelevant bullshit we call politics in Britain.

(Although I am hideously biased here).
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Has May appeared on there? I'm betting the questions were far more light and fluffy if so. 

"I love your shoes Mrs. May, where did you get them?" 

"Is it difficult being so strong & stable, ALL the time?"
    "Not with these shoes."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha
  • I don't think he did try a half arsed bullshit. He was looking in a book and checking an iPad to get the precise figure.

The presenter was sat right next to him, and could clearly see him looking for the figures, and was more concerned with giving him shit over not knowing the figures than actually getting them out there.
  • Just listened.

He does sound a bit shit, sadly. 

Where is that above transcript from, Monkey? It leaves out half the conversation...
  • Some bloke posted it on twitter.
  • What bloke? He's a fucking liability spreading fake news.
  • To be fair, the actual thing is worse...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!