The British Politics Thread
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But more seriously, I was thinking more about Robinson and Benjamin there. Things are trickier with Farage.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Explain to me again why you're presenting candidates for European elections if you're on the eve of leaving? And also why, if everyone is so keen on preventing Brexit now, an anti-Europe party is apparently going to landslide it? There's a slice of derision in there but also genuine questions, as I'm not following any of this British malarkey.

For page turn.
  • Its a legal requirement to hold elections.

No one said everyone is keen on it. Its literally split down the middle, its just that there is only one anti europe party and 5 pro Europe ones.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We’re presenting candidates because we legally had to for the extension to last as long as we needed.

The Brexit party won’t landslide it from the looks of things, but probably will end up as the largest party, mostly due to the fact that the pro-Remain vote will be more split. Current opinion polling puts remain parties on a larger overall vote share than leave ones. Labour’s not counted in either of those in case you’re wondering.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So the pro Europe side are fucking themselves basically?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not really, not yet at least. The proportional nature of the EU elections mean that split votes aren’t such a big deal, and it’s not like whoever is the biggest party will have any effect on the negotiations. Hopefully, overall vote shares for leave vs remain parties will be more important for gauging the Will of the People (tm).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Excellent Graun typo
    He warned that the party faced “disaster” if it moved rightwards to try to take ground from the Brexit party following a poor showing in the European elections. “If you want to drive the Conservative party ever lower in pubic esteem, that’s the way to do it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/20/tory-party-suspends-michael-heseltine-for-backing-lib-dems
  • Yossarian wrote:
    This is a common argument you make, but I still don’t buy it. There’s a shitload of thought and argument around the fundamental problems, these protests don’t negate that, but they may well prevent Farage from being able to lie about the fundamental problems.

It is true I keep saying it. The thing is Farage can continue to say his bollocks because he fills the gap for people who aren’t really listened to. He gets free reign to say what he wants because he pays enough lip service to people who need someone to listen.

Realistically what does the brexit debate really speak to? If we remain we just get our way again as we have since thatcher a broad sense.

Maybe I am wrong and your greens, libs and change will signal the starting gun for something by winning huge in the next poll and then set out a stall for a better Britain but I don’t see them talking enough Beyond brexit to trust there’s much in their eyeline.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Labour’s been talking about loads of stuff beyond Brexit, so have the Greens for years now. The problem is that Brexit itself is such a huge issue that it eclipses all else, and will continue to do so for years to come unless we at least remain in the single market.

We need to sort this out before anything else can be fixed, that doesn’t mean that other fixes don’t exist. They’re there, but you shave to seek them out because while the threat of societal collapse through no deal hangs over us, then of course that’s going to be what people are most concerned about, especially because avoiding that collapse is taking up every ounce of time and energy our government has available.
  • but I don’t see them talking enough Beyond brexit to trust there’s much in their eyeline.

I mean, this just suggests that you either haven't heard or listened to a single Green.

Ignoring the remain cohort though, if you think the only person who has been talking about the people at the bottom is Farage, I really think we need to introduce you to a chap named Jeremy.
  • but I don’t see them talking enough Beyond brexit to trust there’s much in their eyeline.

I mean, this just suggests that you either haven't heard or listened to a single Green.

Ignoring the remain cohort though, if you think the only person who has been talking about the people at the bottom is Farage, I really think we need to introduce you to a chap named Jeremy.

Too late. His show had been taken off the air.
    SFV - reddave360
  • ...but I don’t see them talking enough Beyond brexit to trust there’s much in their eyeline.

Like, of all the criticisms to level that seems the daftest - UKIP and Brexit Party are literally single policy parties.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sunny Hundal with some righteous anger over on Twitter.

Thread starts here: https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/1130739568934817793?s=20
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Sunny Hundal with some righteous anger over on Twitter. Thread starts here: https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/1130739568934817793?s=20

He makes a good point
    SFV - reddave360
  • New Brexit deal details at 4pm.
  • She should do it like  Nintendo Direct.
    "Please understand..."
  • Why in the name of fuck does she keep delivering these speeches anywhere but fucking Parliament?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve spent a lot of time vaguely wondering whether May or Cameron were the worst PM in living memory. After today, I think May has clinched it.
  • I’m always a little bit more forgiving for the one who has to handle the shit show than the one who decided it was worth a punt.

There’s no real playbook for this whole situation.

If there was an easier solution I’m sure it would have been seen in the indicative votes or a single stage labour policy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There is an easier solution, it’s been staring her in the face the whole time: a referendum on the deal, actually supported and whipped for by the government. That’s the way out of this and it has been for months.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    There is an easier solution, it’s been staring her in the face the whole time: a referendum on the deal, actually supported and whipped for by the government. That’s the way out of this and it has been for months.

Is that a ref with no brexit as an option? Because I reckon that would be as a damaging to your country as no deal brexit.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Scenes

https://twitter.com/davemacladd/status/1130964633442017287?s=19

Another one for the "straight from The Thick Of It" file.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Is that a ref with no brexit as an option? Because I reckon that would be as a damaging to your country as no deal brexit.

Yep, with no Brexit as an option.

And yes, I’m sure it will be damaging, but if parliament won’t pass this, the only deal on offer, which they have made quite clear they won’t, then the only other options are a referendum and revoke. Of those remaining options, a referendum is the least damaging and the only one that can claim any type of legitimacy.

There’s simply no other choice.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Good grief.

I'm still crying at her Madonna microphone hahahahahah
  • Robo-brexiteer
  • He kind of deserved that. That's his electorate....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I know there are lots of reasons people voted leave, it wasnt just because they are thick, but that woman is clearly thick as pig shit.

She is just spouting slogans she has heard, she doesnt even know who he is.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!