The British Politics Thread
  • Okay but somehow Boris is still the favourite to be PM so at this point until I see movement in any other direction, I feel like we're going straight over the cliff unfortunately.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I reckon Johnson wouldn’t go through with it because he knows it’s madness and he’ll get blamed for what comes next. Even if he tries, I reckon that the government will fall first.
  • Bojo on LBC right now about to answer questions, should be scenes once way or another.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Known Racist
    Potential domestic abuser 
    Idiot (though not as idiotic as the British public)
    Close ties with Steve Bannon
    Outright Lier

Of course he's the favourite.

I'm buying 12 months worth of vodka on the 30th October. May as well watch the country go to shit while shit-faced.
  • Rare footage of Nick Ferrari pushing Boris for answers, this fucking clown can't even answer softball questions from his old broadcasting pal.

• Yossarian wrote:
    No deal is still madness and still won’t happen.
    For fuck's sake
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Raab might have attempted it, he’s a nutcase. Johnson’s just willing to say whatever it takes to get into number 10.
  • Yoss, I love you but you’re deluding yourself.

I don’t know what part of the last five years’ international and British politics you haven’t paid attention to … but madness is now the norm. No deal is a distinct possibility. Even a likelihood.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Maybe there needs to be a real blood letting to cure this country of its jingoistic superiority complex and high tolerance of obvious liars and self serving narcissists in public office.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We’ll see soon enough, I guess.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I read somewhere that Cameron marked the end of an era of when "real people" had risen to power in the country - those who had come from a relatively modest background. it started in the 70s with Heath apparently.

There's a feeling that the upper crust are taking back power. Already the rise of the private landlord is on the march , buying up privately owned houses that Thatcher, for all her faults, had placed in the hands of the public. We are now faced with a generation who will be without assets for the first time in a couple of generations. 

The reactionary opposition to this had gone red and will be ineffective. It's a fucking shambles.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:

The reactionary opposition to this had gone red and will be ineffective. It's a fucking shambles.

You say this as if the solutions lie in the political centre

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Superb:

ncL1wum.jpg
  • davyK wrote:
    Maybe there needs to be a real blood letting to cure this country of its jingoistic superiority complex and high tolerance of obvious liars and self serving narcissists in public office.
    i think if there was any chance that those responsible would hold their hands up and/or take the blame for it all going to shite, then i think i'd be quite up for a 'no deal' just to see the fall out.
    however, if it happened and things go as badly as we expect, all that would happen is more passing the buck, pointing the finger at EU and foreign people and the 'liberal elite', and generally just worsening the divide and fuelling more hatred.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I don’t think that can happen now (blaming the EU). So many Tories have said, so many times, that No deal will be fine. Nothing to worry about. I was thinking during that 5 way Tory leadership debate, when four of them all said they supported no deal, that this was a future Labour campaign ad.
  • Johnson’s game seems to be to split off the unpopular parts of the WA to the other side of October 31st. Then crow about how brilliant he is to have finally taken us out while solving none of the problems, then go for a GE maybe. I can’t see how that sorts out the backstop. Maybe we just get out but still stay in the Customs Union and Single Market ie still permanent members until full withdrawal is negotiated. Which Tories can then start deluding themselves will be done within two years. That might work for long enough for him to get us out.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Except the EU aren’t going to agree to splitting up the WA, they’ve said it about a billion times now.
  • There's no renegotiation under the existing red lines. If those change, and they're more favourable to the EU, it can be. The Dutch PM said as much recently. 

I did say maybe. I've assumed that Johnson has a clue about what his plan is, and that he can sell indefinite SM and CU membership to the Tory right as a price worth paying to get Brexit over the line.
  • BJ doesn’t want to worry about details. He’s a ‘big ideas’ man, don’t you know. All he needs to do is become PM, by promising great things, then leave it to his people to figure out. It’ll take a few years for the plebs to notice that he’s promised impossible unicorns, at which point he can point at his predecessors, the opposition within Westminster, and the EU Parliament, and simply say that ‘they didn’t believe in us enough’.

Thanks Trump. Thanks Bannon. Thanks fucking Johnson.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    It’ll take a few years for the plebs to notice that he’s promised impossible unicorns

Except:
    poprock wrote:
    Current timeline:

July 23rd: New Tory leader announced.
    July 24th: He becomes PM.
    July 26th: Parliament closes for summer holidays.

September 3rd: Parliament reopens.
    October 31st: Brexit.

Fucksake.

I think that there’s a fairly reasonable chance that Johnson will end up being the shortest-serving PM in history.
  • monkey wrote:
    I've assumed that Johnson has a clue about what his plan is

Ah, I see where you went wrong.
  • There is no way Parliament should be closing in the midst of a national crisis btw. What the fuck is going on?
  • I don't think he knows or cares what state we're in on November 1st. As long we're not technically a member of the EU. He'll sign up to anything as long as he can say he took us out and wave away hard stuff like the backstop as part of an ongoing negotiation that Britain is going to do really well out of if we believe it hard enough.
  • He'll struggle to do that when he loses the vote of confidence.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think that there’s a fairly reasonable chance that Johnson will end up being the shortest-serving PM in history.

What do you think’s going to happen after Oct 31st? Are you expecting a Tory revolt that ousts him as leader, so soon after voting him in? Are you expecting a general election, which you then expect him to lose?
  • monkey wrote:
    I don't think he knows or cares what state we're in on November 1st. As long we're not technically a member of the EU. He'll sign up to anything as long as he can say he took us out and wave away hard stuff like the backstop as part of an ongoing negotiation that Britain is going to do really well out of if we believe it hard enough.

Monkey’s right.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

What do you think’s going to happen after Oct 31st? Are you expecting a Tory revolt that ousts him as leader, so soon after voting him in? Are you expecting a general election, which you then expect him to lose?

Vote of no confidence to prevent no deal seems most likely to me, possibly Tory resignations to force a GE.

What happens with a GE does remain to be seen.
  • Can't Johnson withdraw from the current race, let the shitshow about his domestic life blow over (because it will, because Boris), let Hunt fuck himself into paste over Brexit then pop up to take over afterwards? Would seem the Borisy thing to do.
  • Enough Tories have stated they would back a motion of no confidence in the government if it looked like we were going to No Deal for Johnson to lose it.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Can't Johnson withdraw from the current race, let the shitshow about his domestic life blow over (because it will, because Boris), let Hunt fuck himself into paste over Brexit then pop up to take over afterwards? Would seem the Borisy thing to do.

Ah, but Boris Johnson is desperate to be PM. He can’t see past “me want be PM now”, especially with the risk that his party get the boot afterwards, or even implodes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!