• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I don't think he knows or cares what state we're in on November 1st. As long we're not technically a member of the EU. He'll sign up to anything as long as he can say he took us out and wave away hard stuff like the backstop as part of an ongoing negotiation that Britain is going to do really well out of if we believe it hard enough.

I don’t think he’s that dumb, TBH. The only option available to him to avoid no deal would be another punt at the WA, which is likely to see the ERG topple him.

He’ll bluff and bluster about walking away with no deal, but I don’t see him actually doing it.
  • Enough Tories have stated they would back a motion of no confidence in the government if it looked like we were going to No Deal for Johnson to lose it.
    The Rory Stewart and Dominic Grieve types have suggested they'll give him a conditional vote of confidence while he talks to the EU but withdraw their confidence if he goes for no deal. So that will get him to the other side of the Summer. 
    Then it's September and you're trying to get out of him what he wants to do. He won't tip people off. If there's still some dialogue going with the EU that'll keep the spineless Tory Remainers in check. Even with an uprising, you're then into the question what they can do to actually prevent it which is unclear.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Enough Tories have stated they would back a motion of no confidence in the government if it looked like we were going to No Deal for Johnson to lose it.

Yep, and I don’t see the ERG suddenly falling into line behind a soft Brexit now.
  • I don’t see what everyone is hoping will happen though. A vote of no confidence achieves what, exactly? Boots Johnson out and replaces him with Hunt?

Parliament can say it wants to avoid no deal until it’s blue in the face, but that doesn’t actually do anything about avoiding it. Without an alternative, we’re still fucked on 31st Oct.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    He'll struggle to do that when he loses the vote of confidence.
    The Rory Stewart and Dominic Grieve types have suggested they'll give him a conditional vote of confidence while he talks to the EU but withdraw their confidence if he goes for no deal. So that will get him to the other side of the Summer.

There’s no one to talk to. The EU negotiating team has been disbanded. The conversation will be very short.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I don’t see what everyone is hoping will happen though. A vote of no confidence achieves what, exactly? Boots Johnson out and replaces him with Hunt?

Parliament can say it wants to avoid no deal until it’s blue in the face, but that doesn’t actually do anything about avoiding it. Without an alternative, we’re still fucked on 31st Oct.

With the combined will of Bercow and Parliament, I fully expect an alternative to present itself.

Truth is, Johnson would probably welcome it. It would let him avoid the cliff-edge while allowing him to blame someone else. Win-win.

Truth is, I don’t see this getting resolved any way around with a minority government except via a referendum. That or a GE is the only way out, the only question is which one Johnson goes for.
  • The ERG didn't have a problem with a two year implementation period. Two years to negotiate a Canada style trade deal!! If Johnson can wrap the problems with the WA into that period as well, stay as members of the CU and SM for that two year period and aim to leave at the end of it, they might go for it. The price for not doing it is a GE. 

It's total fantasy bollocks of course but they only ever care about the next hurdle.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    The ERG didn't have a problem with a two year implementation period. Two years to negotiate a Canada style trade deal!! If Johnson can wrap the problems with the WA into that period as well, stay as members of the CU and SM for that two year period and aim to leave at the end of it, they might go for it. The price for not doing it is a GE. 

It's total fantasy bollocks of course but they only even care about the next hurdle.

He can’t.
  • poprock wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Can't Johnson withdraw from the current race, let the shitshow about his domestic life blow over (because it will, because Boris), let Hunt fuck himself into paste over Brexit then pop up to take over afterwards? Would seem the Borisy thing to do.

Ah, but Boris Johnson is desperate to be PM. He can’t see past “me want be PM now”, especially with the risk that his party get the boot afterwards, or even implodes.

I guess. Its just that since the next PM is going to be hated by millions regardless of how he handles Brexit it would seem to be worth the risk of the party imploding for the chance to appear as the Phoenix rising out the other side, championing mending this fractured nation, FISH AND CHIPS FOR ALL, rather than the doddery old fuckwit driving his bus over the cliff.
  • Yep, I see your logic. Unfortunately, logic has little do with it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    With the combined will of Bercow and Parliament, I fully expect an alternative to present itself.

Ahh, a magic fantasy unicorn of your own. Got it.

Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t see this getting resolved any way around with a minority government except via a referendum. That or a GE is the only way out, the only question is which one Johnson goes for.

A referendum will probably end up voting for no deal though, if offered. Or at the very least, voting more decisively for leave than the first time around.

And a general election either hands more power to the Tories, or upends them and puts Labour in charge, propped up by the SNP. And then Labour will hold a referendum. And we’re back to my first point.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    The ERG didn't have a problem with a two year implementation period. Two years to negotiate a Canada style trade deal!! If Johnson can wrap the problems with the WA into that period as well, stay as members of the CU and SM for that two year period and aim to leave at the end of it, they might go for it. The price for not doing it is a GE.  It's total fantasy bollocks of course but they only even care about the next hurdle.
    He can’t.
    Why not? You don't need a backstop if you're a member of the Customs Union and single market. And that's better for the EU than the existing arrangement. There's no point going over and over this. I'm speculating on the long-term strategic plan of a man who shows no indication that he knows how to tie his own shoelaces. The most important conversation to have in this country right now is what Boris Johnson's hair length was on Sunday compared to Saturday.
  • monkey wrote:
    The most important conversation to have in this country right now is what Boris Johnson's hair length was on Sunday compared to Saturday.

We’re all fucked.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Ahh, a magic fantasy unicorn of your own. Got it.

It has literally already happened once, there’s no reason it can’t do so again.

Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t see this getting resolved any way around with a minority government except via a referendum. That or a GE is the only way out, the only question is which one Johnson goes for.

A referendum will probably end up voting for no deal though, if offered. Or at the very least, voting more decisively for leave than the first time around.

And a general election either hands more power to the Tories, or upends them and puts Labour in charge, propped up by the SNP. And then Labour will hold a referendum. And we’re back to my first point.

Truth is, a GE which did hand more power to the Tories would probably help, at least as far as Brexit goes. Once fringe elements of the party can no longer hold such sway over the process, then a route forward can probably be found. The WA would have gone through had May’s GE gamble paid off as she’d expected.

As for another referendum, I do believe it’s winnable, but fuck knows. Still, as I say, I can’t really see another way out.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    The ERG didn't have a problem with a two year implementation period. Two years to negotiate a Canada style trade deal!! If Johnson can wrap the problems with the WA into that period as well, stay as members of the CU and SM for that two year period and aim to leave at the end of it, they might go for it. The price for not doing it is a GE.  It's total fantasy bollocks of course but they only even care about the next hurdle.
    He can’t.
    Why not? You don't need a backstop if you're a member of the Customs Union and single market. And that's better for the EU than the existing arrangement. There's no point going over and over this. I'm speculating on the long-term strategic plan of a man who shows no indication that he knows how to tie his own shoelaces. The most important conversation to have in this country right now is what Boris Johnson's hair length was on Sunday compared to Saturday.

He’s not renegotiating the WA in the few weeks available, it’s simply not happening. I don’t particularly see the E.U. being keen on extending and reopening the negotiation just so Johnson can have a crack at it either.

Perhaps that can shift if Johnson says he’ll relax the red lines and the ERG don’t immediately bring him down, but I don’t see it.
  • Johnson is going to win the leadership election because the majority of party members just want someone who will promise to ‘deliver brexit’ at all costs, in any way. There isn’t even a definition there of what ‘delivering brexit’ actually means, and there never will be. Which makes Johnson the ideal candidate. He’s our Trump, promising to ‘do the thing’ without caring about what the thing is, or how to actually do it.
  • poprock wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    The most important conversation to have in this country right now is what Boris Johnson's hair length was on Sunday compared to Saturday.

We’re all fucked.

To be fair, that's a very worthwhile talking point, because it would appear that the photo of boris and his partner that appeared in papers after the argument was not taken after the event, but before.

There is a strong suggestion that this photo has been circulated to the press to give the impression that everything is fine in boris town now and to downplay the reported seriousness of the events last week so as to maintain his image with the public and the voting Tory membership.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    To be fair, that's a very worthwhile talking point, because it would appear that the photo of boris and his partner that appeared in papers after the argument was not taken after the event, but before. There is a strong suggestion that this photo has been circulated to the press to give the impression that everything is fine in boris town now and to downplay the reported seriousness of the events last week so as to maintain his image with the public and the voting Tory membership.

Yes, that much is clear.

What’s also clear is that the media (and because of that, the public) are obsessed with proving that Johnson has lied. Which doesn’t matter. We know Johnson lies. Remember his big red bus? Remember just about every fucking thing he did as Mayor of London?

This is a bullshit distraction while his support base grows stronger. The conversation genuinely goes “Did he use an old photo? So what? He’s going to deliver Brexit, leave him alone and let him get on with it.”
  • Actually, his standing has dropped greatly even within Tory circles as a result of the domestic violence allegations. Massively more so with the general public. If it is shown that he did indeed circulate a false picture to try to repair his reputation, it would likely drop more.
  • I think with him it's better to constantly press him on it. Don't let the slimy fuck weasel his way out of it. Keep asking.
  • It's worth noting as well that he fucked up even a softball interview with one of his mates on this issue. He's not equipped to handle continued questioning, he's used to being able to shrug everything off.
  • Yeah i dunno why Johnson decided to try and get clever at the end of the interview, Ferrari is a cunt but it's his show you moran and he will still go ham on you if you're acting like a clever dick after such a shite performance.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian wrote:
    He can’t.
    He’s not renegotiating the WA in the few weeks available, it’s simply not happening. I don’t particularly see the E.U. being keen on extending and reopening the negotiation just so Johnson can have a crack at it either. Perhaps that can shift if Johnson says he’ll relax the red lines and the ERG don’t immediately bring him down, but I don’t see it.
    He's got three months. He can start off saying the UK's red lines have completely changed and we want to be in the SM and CU until we negotiate a full trade deal out of it. He can bring a vote before Parliament on it before the Summer to prove to the EU that it has a majority. Everything the EU has said on renegotiating is to do with the UK keeping its current red lines.  This removes nearly everything on transition and backstops. The £39 billion will stay, citizen's rights, Gibraltar. If the EU aren't prepared to indulge in constructive dialogue, he'll gear everything up for No deal. At that point, the EU can sit on it's hands and do nothing for three months and then we crash out and they get a fair amount of the blame. Or they can engage with him. They have three months to work out arrangements to keep everything exactly the same except we don't get invited to meetings anymore. The hard part is getting people to vote for it. He could conceivably get quite a few Labour votes. 

The backstop is there because May wanted a two year period to negotiate a full trade deal covering the entire economy. The EU realise this is nonsense, as do the Tories, which is why they wanted something to cover the end of this two year period. And that's why the Tories shat themselves on the backstop. They shouldn't care if they think they can do it in two years. With my off the top of my head plan, they can still keep this pretence alive, and come out on time. I haven't said this is a good plan. It still probably needs an extension of a few months. And if he's going in with no changes on the UK's red lines, its not getting anywhere.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    None of this stops the ERG turning on him, and with the wafer-thin majority he’s inheriting, it won’t take many to bring him down.
  • I'm not really convinced even Boris can sell the Tories on "lets do Jeremy Corbyn's plan"
  • Anything barring no deal is now unacceptable to the hard right. Whatever happens they’ll have to decide whether to swallow his shite or bring him down within months of backing him, not having left the EU.

I think he’s doomed fwiw. He’ll make it to autumn and then all roads seem to lead to an extension and a GE or no deal and a GE and he’s completely, humiliatingly fucked either way.

Of course it could still be Hunt. Johnson’s got four more weeks of haircut analysis to get through. The papers and the establishment seem to be having a pretty decent go at stopping him.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    True. I should probably be paying a bit more attention to what Hunt is saying. Up until now I’ve been treating him as an irrelevance.
  • This is just surreal. He's making this up isn't he? He seems to be deciding how he makes model buses on the spot. 

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1143491303466053633

What is it with him and buses? It's a weird Jungian archetype thing for him now. He probably has nightmares where he's being chased by himself driving a bus.
  • Boris reminds me of a guy that I used to work with that had taken so many drugs over the years that he couldn't tell the difference between reality and whichever thought had just popped into his head.  Speaks like him, too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!