The British Politics Thread
  • poprock wrote:
    This column by James Wood in tomorrow’s LRB is good too, on the peculiarity of ‘old Etonians’ running Brexit. He was a student there at the same time as them all, and gives some backstory to their political and economic worldview. There’s a whiff of ‘of course they’re doing this, look how they were brought up’.

A superb read, thoroughly enjoyed that. Cheers.
  • Good, isn’t it?

I know I enjoy it partly for reinforcing my existing views, but still. Sections like this: “… it is, in the end, weightless political rhetoric. There are no fundamental political differences between Cameron, Johnson and Rees-Mogg, because they belong to the same world.” and this: “What amazing security: to have always been well-off probably suggested that one would always be well-off. The future would look comfortingly like the past.” hammer the message home.

It’s full of the stuff that makes me angry, and yet is strangely comforting. Maybe that’s one of the core elements of Britishness – our class hierarchies are so deeply and historically ingrained that acknowledging them and being driven to rage by them are two sides of the same coin?
  • Indeed. I also enjoyed the recollection of the headmaster's speech speaking of the "effortless superiority" of an Etonian, meant to be taken as behaviour for them to aspire to throughout their lives, but instead of course being treated as given and used to perpetuate a damaging class system they've all benefited from to hideous degrees. 

The "future looking comfortingly like the past" does drive home the image of these men continuing to live their lives as one big schoolboy jape, the consequences of which they'll be happily shielded from no matter what comes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Things become a great deal more explainable when you put yourself in the shoes of others and engage selfish mode.

The US has an apparent love of war which I suspect would be somewhat tainted if any enemy were within striking distance for example.

And while I try not to think this way, as it is terribly simplistic and judgmental - but I really do believe that for the most part, rich people don't care about anyone else. And trying to get them to change anything that has no impact on them, or would have a negative impact on them is pointless. There have been occasional exceptions to the rule though I suspect they have been in the category of self made. Carnegie and Gates are two that come to mind - two men mind bogglingly richer than any of that Eton lot to boot.

So it isn't about what you have, more about where you have come from. And if that is an isolated privileged background then empathy will always be in short supply.

It's applicable at all levels. Those millions of poor people living in far away lands , impoverished, starving. At the end of the day it really doesn't affect us past dropping a pound or two into a collection to try and makes ourselves feel good. Imagine how much less those who have the power to address those problems care about it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Continuing the theme. Until the water is lapping up at the doors of Trump tower or destroys one of his favourite links course, Pres. Trump will not care a jot for the environment.

I am afraid I place the vast majority of our Etonians in the same category. I suspect their world is actually rather a small one - consisting of selected stretches of land and several large establishments around which our national infrastructure has been designed.  The obsession with North/South linkages that are of limited value to the nation is evidence of that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Continuing the theme. Until the water is lapping up at the doors of Trump tower or destroys one of his favourite links course, Pres. Trump will not care a jot for the environment.

Not even then.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-climate-change-golf-course-223436
  • I didn't think Hunt would stoop as low as to entertain reversing the fox hunting ban.
    This contest has rapidly become a race to the bottom to appease the scummiest of Tory members.

All of this needs to be thoroughly noted and weaponised at a GE.
  • What is it with Tories and fox hunting? They’re all fucking obsessed with it. Gets rolled out every year.
  • I assume it pleases their inherent need to watch innocent things suffer.
  • Don't they get enough of that from austerity and universal credit?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Not until they can rub the blood of the disabled on the faces of their children.
  • That’s only a matter of time, let’s be honest.
  • poprock wrote:
    What is it with Tories and fox hunting? They’re all fucking obsessed with it. Gets rolled out every year.

Tory membership fucking loves it. It's utterly toxic to most of the country though, and support for the ban seems to increase year on year.
  • I don't know guys. These foxes, theyre not sending their best

They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending foxes that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good foxes.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Question: "Should it be legal to hunt?"
    Hunt: "Yes. Obvs."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It just highlights the absolute lack of empathy required to follow the tory manifesto.

• D-qNdjTX4Ag-sQr.jpg

What an absolute bellend.
  • So great that the useless cunt behind him cant hold a sign the correct way up.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sounds like a euphemism. He's a right pain in the back boris.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's not upside down, it's the Cyrillic version, sponsored by our friends in Moscow
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    D-qNdjTX4Ag-sQr.jpg

What an absolute bellend.

Jesus fucking christ. He is the living representation of the word "bumblefuck".

Just fucking drown yourself you cunt.
  • Ayo have we seen his mrs in public yet or can she not quite get the makeup to cover the black eye still?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • She was out shopping the other day I think, ran on a couple of front pages.
  • Anne Widcombe in European Parliament yesterday was something else. One of the more shameful performances by a politician.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yep, another utter cunt of a person.
  • Celebbdwy yesterday, ran into Ken (wearing the suit) and Nick Robinson.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Boris is a country mile ahead according to a Times poll. Brexit, the union, poverty, the NHS - it's going to be the biggest clusterfuck since Hitler.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Satellite pictures of the UK 15 weeks away from brexit:
    CharmingIdioticBlobfish-size_restricted.gif
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Let’s have something truly fucking depressing to start the week, shall we?

Some choice results from YouGov’s poll of Conservative party members:

58% would like the return of the death penalty.
    46% believe concerns about climate change have been exaggerated.
    49% believe schools should not be required to teach children about LGBT relationships.
    42% believe having people from a wide variety of racial and cultural backgrounds has damaged British society.
    56% believe Islam is a threat to the British way of life.
    40% want limits on the number of people of the Islamic faith entering the country.
    43% would prefer to not have the country led by a Muslim.
    45% believe that “there are areas in Britain in which non-Muslims are not able to enter.”
    67% believe that “there are areas in Britain that operate under Sharia law.”

Of course, ‘fucking depressing’ is only one way to look at this. The other way is to rightly let it make you fucking furious.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    OTOH, most of these people will be dead within the next ten years.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!