The British Politics Thread
  • If enough Tory MPs (Ken C, Grieve, Gayle etc) vote a no deal brexit govt down, will Hoey vote with labour against that govt? Probably not.

I doubt it. She thinks no deal is fine.

I think this new poll that is saying that people don’t fear a no deal Brexit is very interesting because I think people don’t.

“I think they realise that the rest of the world is using WTO rules.

“What is so special about the European Union?

“Particularly as its economy is shrinking and we are actually trading far more with the rest of the world and that is increasing every year.

So I was pleased at that because I think in the end a no deal for me, World Trade Organisation, it is not a no deal. It is a different deal. And it is a deal that would allow us our independence.

“No deal, no problem.”
  • Jaysus, the lack of awareness from her as to what the EU is, genuinely astounds me. I'd expect from a person on the street (not excuse it mind) but for an elected person to say the above is something else.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Literally no self respecting first world country relies on wto most favoured nation to trade. 100% of developing world countri s have some kind of trade deal in respect of something, all would kill for a comprehensive deal with the EU or US. It's remarkable how ignorant some long-standing politicians are. Absolutely utterly astounding.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • And yet also entirely predictable.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s predictable and intentional. It’s this fucking dream of the Empire and the “British” stubbornness. I was watching the beeb interviewing locals in some town and it was the typical white older people who were like “well it just needs to happen we’ve been messed about too much”.

I’m sorry but I’d rather they broad back monarchy or dictatorship than let these thick inbred backwards lot determine my future.
  • Tough. There are more of them than there are of us. And more of them vote. We live in their country, they don’t live in ours.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    God Johnson is unbearable
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I mean Hunt kinda is too, but not nearly so much. BoJo is basically incoherent.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So damn rude too
  • Just shout until ad break, he knows what he is doing.
  • Hunt was much more convincing there but it doesnt matter at all, Boris is prime buffoon. He could have walked out beating his girlfriend up and would still be selected.
  • Shouting over his opponent, Boris's camp had obviously told their man to just 'do a Trump'.  And this is the future that awaits us. Lorded over by a baby-man who bawls down opposition whilst making infantile jokes that his audience just laps up.  Donald in all but name.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • BoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Bullingdon Is Electable
  • They aren't exactly comparable by any means, but Boris is our version of Trump more or less.

Not only are the people who support these kinds of leaders not put off by their incompetence, they're encouraged by it.
  • Boris and his supporters are largely cut from the same cloth.
    Nothing bad ever happens to them, they never have to struggle. Their lack of compassion and respect is rewarded from a young age.

They have never had to worry about putting food on the table, never been told or have to tell their kids no, never ran out of money before the end of the month, got into debt to pay a rental deposit or to fix the boiler. How could they possibly understand the plight of the average joe?

Trying to relate to them is as useful as trying to have a conversation with a duck.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t think Johnson is really comparable to Trump, tbh. Johnson may want to play the populist, nativist card as far as it serves him, but I think he’s intelligent enough to work out what going balls deep into that might actually mean.

Farage could be our Trump. For him this kind of crap feels less like a tactic and more like a genuinely held belief.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think that's one set of their supporters.  There's another set who are downtrodden & just one something *different*, as more of the same just destined them to more of the same.

(@liv)
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t think Johnson is really comparable to Trump, tbh. Johnson may want to play the populist, nativist card as far as it serves him, but I think he’s intelligent enough to work out what going balls deep into that might actually mean.

Farage could be our Trump. For him this kind of crap feels less like a tactic and more like a genuinely held belief.

Not sure I agree but I see where you are coming from. Boris is a bit more like George w.

I really think your trump is yet to show themselves. What's the odds on someone like Aaron Banks or Tim Martin thinking that they can have a go at it?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fewer than half of Tory members have so far voted in the leadership contest and sent back their ballot to party HQ - the assumption that they would all make up their mind in a flash has turned out to be wrong

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1149340645116588034

Reasonable chance, however, that the other half are simply too senile to vote at all.
  • Is there a chance that it turns out Bart, I mean Boris, forgets to get all his people to vote and Martin, I mean Hunt wins the election against the odds?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Back stop gets definitive time horizon. Boris gets a deal through, calls general election, General Election doesn't answer, calls a General Election, capitalises on positive sentiment, forms a majority government in 2020.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Back stop gets definitive time horizon. Boris gets a deal through

Pigs fly, the rain turns to Irn Bru, unicorns invade Wales.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So the civil service are absolutely neutral and act without political bias.

A senior civil servant in N.Ireland was compensated to the tune of £10,000 for the stress caused walking past a portrait of QE2 and DoE, signed off by the secretary of state for NI.

The portrait has been replaced with a picture of E & P meeting citizens.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I can't comment on the size of the compensation, but replacing portraits with pictures of them meeting citizens in NI seems a reasonable compromise.
  • The compensation seems absolutely ridiculous. The compromise on the portraits for photos seems to be all that was needed.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The guy was working for the Imperial Civil Service.

The clue is in the title when he applied for the job.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Actually strike that - it is the NICS - but it still stands.

I agree the replacements are probably more appropriate but I'd argue his response means he is not neutral in his politics even allowing for the fact that the Royals are not political.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've just tolerated another 12th July and the shenanigans leading up to it which probably didn't make national news (armed loyalist terrorist organisation scares off contractor commissioned to remove dangerous bonfire from local government property).

Pretty sick of this place at the minute.

No doubt it will pass.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So they think they have the leaker. Would be good if there was a path back from them to a big name, sounds like it was someone more junior doing the actual legwork...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!