The British Politics Thread
  • Jo Swinson is aiming to be Prime Minister.

Er, good luck with that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sounds like Johnson may need some luck too according to Kuenssberg:

1. This is rather extraordinary - Sir Alan Duncan tells @bbcnews he quit govt so he could push for an emergency vote tomorrow, after the next PM is announced, to test if they can hold a majority

2. Duncan makes plain he has held doubts about Johnson's character for a long time, but angrily dismisses suggestions idea of holding a vote on a hypothetical Johnson govt before it's formed was personal - he says it was the way to avoid a much worse crisis in autumn

3. Sir Alan astonished that Bercow has turned his request down, and fears much bigger meltdown after recess when next PM can't hold a majority in the Commons - his critics may reckon he was trying to kill off a Johnson govt before he's even gone to the Palace

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1153305713772552194
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Isn't the problem that, as well as the technology, we also don't have the will or the drive? Having to try and manifest it via a newspaper column sums it up will really. Totally incapable of doing so via any two-way medium.

A tech solution is possible - of course it is - but what is the functional specification of that solution? What is it to do? That's the problem, not the use of tech.

But hey - central government has a great track record implementing IT projects, hasn't it?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I misheard the background news and thought batshit Boris was talking of sending folk to the Moon after Brexit.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Isn't the problem that, as well as the technology, we also don't have the will or the drive? Having to try and manifest it via a newspaper column sums it up will really. Totally incapable of doing so via any two-way medium.

A tech solution is possible - of course it is - but what is the functional specification of that solution? What is it to do? That's the problem, not the use of tech.

But hey - central government has a great track record implementing IT projects, hasn't it?

I look at it like this.
    Providing frictionless border technology to the government under pressure would be an incredibly lucrative contract.
    So if it was possible we would have multiple companies falling over each other to tell us how they would be the best choice to deliver it.

If it was possible the argument we would be having would be over exactly how much it would cost and how it would be written into EU law.
  • I read a thing that suggested that even if a seamless thing at the border was possible it only happens because the checks occur elsewhere a few miles down the road thereby creating a de facto border.
  • Yeah, they were pushing to have checks at outgoing and incoming distribution.
    I asked mama livdiv about how practical that would be as she works booking in lorries for John Lewis distribution. She just laughed.

It also doesnt do anything to stop illegal movement of stuff/people/animals.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's there even if its invisible. And how would immigration be managed?

NI would become a soft way into the UK.  Approx 200 border crossings at the mo.

It's  fucking insane and simply unmanageable.

And any contractor arriving in NI talking about frontiers would be in for a rough ride.  They would need to be checking under their car every day once word got out who they were.
  • I saw a place on the news a while back, a builders yard that straddled the border.
    The owner would potentially have to do customs checks to move goods from one side to the other, and that is before you start with his employees that may be Visa bound to one side of the yard.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a pub that straddles the border as well.
  • Cheaper pints at one end of the bar to the other.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The whole shambles has only been workable because of the EU.

Sigh.

But you are right - there will be money to be made if it does happen.
  • It's weird because the British have such a strong history of making workable borders.

/sarcasm
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oddly enough , there's a slim chance Ireland would have been unified by now if the IRA hadn't had an armed campaign.

The British Empire never gave up territory at gunpoint (apart from the USA) so IRA behaviour has only delayed it.
  • The sun is shining and there's an outside chance that today might see the Tories shoot their collective faces off so I have my optimistic hat on.
  • I hope they can do it quietly, I have work to be getting on with.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Today marks the beginning of the end. I'm just not sure what of.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Boris Johnson’s premiership.
  • Something I’ve known all along but hadn’t seen clearly put into words until today: Johnson is doing exactly what Eton trains for. He’s confidently projecting outright lies and bluster because he has been taught that it’s the essence of good military leadership. Tell them everything’s going to be fine before you send them charging to their deaths. Throw in a joke, they’ll love you for it.

A more contemporary interpretation: He’s the crappy boss giving the ‘everything is going really well’ speech, the week before going into administration, not paying you all, and fucking off to his tax haven.
  • Is anyone selling "should have gone for chaoe with Ed Miliband" t-shirts? I wanna buy one
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Proof that time travel is impossible.

No-one has come back from future and taken these cunts out.
  • Maybe that’s because there is no future.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Zoinks!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Something I’ve known all along but hadn’t seen clearly put into words until today: Johnson is doing exactly what Eton trains for. He’s confidently projecting outright lies and bluster because he has been taught that it’s the essence of good military leadership. Tell them everything’s going to be fine before you send them charging to their deaths. Throw in a joke, they’ll love you for it.

A more contemporary interpretation: He’s the crappy boss giving the ‘everything is going really well’ speech, the week before going into administration, not paying you all, and fucking off to his tax haven.

That highlighted bit is quite a lot of bollocks pop.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Today marks the beginning of the end. I'm just not sure what of.
    This is the end of the Tory party. I'm convinced of it. The final disintegration of the weirdo post-colonial mindset that drives so much of it's behaviour. Every week they're in power at the moment is another year they'll have to wait before getting in again. They might even win another election in the autumn and have another five years before they fuck off for good. But that'll be the end of them. Britain will be so fucked by the time this is over that they'll never be forgiven. The brand will have to be abandoned. There'll be another mainstream right wing party soon enough but it'll be a completely different box of twats. 

Unfortunately Labour has missed the boat to get rid of Corbyn for now. That'll have to come after his next election defeat. There's nothing that can be done than sit and watch it all burn.
  • That highlighted bit is quite a lot of bollocks pop.

Not intended as a slight on actual good leadership, military or otherwise. 

But definitely an observation on the sort of romanticised history of Eton’s beloved ‘classical education’. Teaching them ‘leadership’ from fictionalised war stories like Heaven’s Command that gloss over human cost in favour of glories reflected on the commanding officers. This shit goes in, it sticks. We know as much from the books and autobiographies the Tory top boys have written since. They absorb it, believe in it and regurgitate it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Got you, thankfully I've never met an etonian educated officer. I think military service is beneath most of them, at least once they've "earned" their trust fund.
  • poprock wrote:
    That highlighted bit is quite a lot of bollocks pop.
    Not intended as a slight on actual good leadership, military or otherwise.  But definitely an observation on the sort of romanticised history of Eton’s beloved ‘classical education’. Teaching them ‘leadership’ from fictionalised war stories like Heaven’s Command that gloss over human cost in favour of glories reflected on the commanding officers. This shit goes in, it sticks. We know as much from the books and autobiographies the Tory top boys have written since. They absorb it, believe in it and regurgitate it.
    Apparently he fetishes Churchill and has modelled his persona on him:

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2019/08/15/boris-johnson-ham-of-fate/

(soz, can't remember if I saw this posted on here or twitter)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!