The British Politics Thread
  • I wouldn't be so sure.
    https://reaction.life/jeremy-vine-my-boris-story/

To me it is all a deliberate, well calculated act to avoid any form of work or commitment to anything.
    Huff and puff, waffle a bit in latin, talk some rubbish, interview over, oh well. He filibusters the media knowing full well these interviews are timed and he can railroad them.
    The one time I have seen him really pushed is that interview with him on the Leave bus, he resorts to Dr Evil style "Zip, zip it..."
  • monkey wrote:
    This is just surreal. He's making this up isn't he? He seems to be deciding how he makes model buses on the spot.  https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1143491303466053633 What is it with him and buses? It's a weird Jungian archetype thing for him now. He probably has nightmares where he's being chased by himself driving a bus.

This is Johnson attempting trolling. He thinks he’s playing to a gallery of like-minded poshos by taking the piss out of all the ‘ordinary people’ who moaned about his brexit bus.
  • was just coming to post a link to that 'bus making' interview with Boris.

I dunno how anyone can watch that and not be swept up in admiration of the charisma, sharp intellect and natural leadership of the man.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I see now why Corbyn's going all in for a GE:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/jun/25/the-new-left-economics-how-a-network-of-thinkers-is-transforming-capitalism

If it ever comes to that. The tories will have to devour themselves first and selfdigest over how to deliver Brexit.
    The wait is on.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Bojo has said we will leave by 31st of October "Do or die".
    That will panic some folk here.

Dont panic.
    He also said he would "lay down in front of bulldozers" to stop the Heathrow expansion. He didnt even turn up to vote on it.

He will say whatever needs to be said to win over his current audience without every really committing any hard policy or plan.

Once over the line the focus shifts again and no deal Brexit is the minority group in parliament and the public.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup. Utterly shameless. And very Trumpish in approach.

Totally disrespectful towards the wider electorate, but fuck that shit obviously.

And hard to predict what he'll feel he needs to say next.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    YouGov Poll in Times: 28% of public want no-deal Brexit while 43% want to revoke A50 and remain in EU.

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1143758593918996480

Bring on the second ref.
  • Fuck me, that is way better than I thought.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • monkey wrote:
    “Revoke article 50. Vote Labour and you never have to hear about Brexit again. End this farce for good in 4 weeks. Another referendum might end up giving a Remain government a Leave vote it doesn’t know what to do with all over again. A Remain vote might give a Tory Leave govt a mandate it doesn’t believe in. More paralysis after three years of having our heads up our arses getting nowhere. The Tories are washed up, finished, out of ideas, and will be consumed with Brexit for years to come. All they offer is more of the same thing that isn’t working. This is the vote we need. No more months of negotiations, no more uncertainty, get back to fixing our schools and hospitals, investing in jobs and skills and training. If you want Leave, vote Tory. If you want to toss the whole failed Brexit project in the bin for good, along with this catastrophically inept Tory government, vote Labour.” That pitch wins a majority at an election. It shits in the bed of the Lib Dems, and gets everyone who just wants this whole fucking mess over with to vote for it. Tories will vote for that. Honest to god, real, more tea vicar, garden party Tories.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s also worth noting that the above is a 5 point shift from no deal since the previous YouGov poll, despite Farage.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And one last thing, CU + SM is the first or second choice of two thirds of those polled.

https://twitter.com/willieckerslike/status/1143752156056604672
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The reactionary opposition to this had gone red and will be ineffective. It's a fucking shambles.
    You say this as if the solutions lie in the political centre

Late response. Sorry.

Not necessarily. Centre right or left would do - both parties have dallied with it.

You shouldn't have to choose from opposite ends of the spectrum which is what makes centre ground politics looks sensible. The problem with Liberals is they don't win elections.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • We've run outta time for fudge imo.
  • Compromise and moderation. Putting through stuff that's got enough cross-party to support to not get canned the minute the other side get in. This is all good. But you do have to look at what it is you're compromising with. Stick a modern republican or Tory into a conversation and they aren't going to be providing balance or bringing a wider perspective, they'll just fill it with empty bullshit.
  • That survey was ranking 4 options.

Remaining topped first choices with 43%, no deal was second with 28%, leaving with a deal including single market and custons union was 3rd with the current WA last with 13%.

No deal was ranked last by 46%, and remaining was ranked last by 42%. In a binary referendum, this could still be close.

Single market was ranked 2nd by 50% though, so if that was in the mix, fuck knows.
  • Bit stupid putting in an option that doesn't exist into a poll. It's like asking who is your favourite football - Messi, Ronaldo, modric or hulk hogan.
    SFV - reddave360
  • "Time.com, began taking votes for a "Person of the Century" poll, with the winner to be announced in a special issue set to hit newsstands in late 1999. "Billions of people have lived this century. See the 100 we should all remember," reads a headline on the Web page. Editors figured the survey would bring attention to the site and foster intellectual debate among Internet users.

They were only half-right. To date, more than 20 million votes have been cast in the poll, making it the most popular interactive feature in Time.com's history. But from the start, the debate has been far less brainy than brawny.

Flair fans and other morons with modems immediately began casting votes for the wrestler. And they haven't stopped. Expected and logical contenders for the crown, from good guys like Gandhi and Pope John Paul II to heels like Hitler, have proved no match for Flair. As of last weekend, the wrestler had notched more than 310,000 votes, the second-highest total in the poll and about 122,000 votes ahead of third-place Hitler. For now, the only guy between Flair and the Time title is the Son of God himself, Jesus Christ."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    We've run outta time for fudge imo.

Aye. The clock needs reset to June 2016 but I can't see that flying at all.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Bit stupid putting in an option that doesn't exist into a poll. It's like asking who is your favourite football - Messi, Ronaldo, modric or hulk hogan.

SM + CU is certainly an option, we just haven’t asked for it yet.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Bit stupid putting in an option that doesn't exist into a poll. It's like asking who is your favourite football - Messi, Ronaldo, modric or hulk hogan.

SM + CU is certainly an option, we just haven’t asked for it yet.

Everything's an option if you take that attitude. Is it feasible that hunt or Johnson will propose that and give the EU enough reason to provide an extension and reopen the wa? I don't think so but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s feasible that there’ll be a GE soon, which will be reason for an extension then this be the policy of the incoming government (it’s not far from Labour’s as it stands).

No need to reopen anything either, this can be pursued if the current WA passes.
  • "Time.com, began taking votes for a "Person of the Century" poll, with the winner to be announced in a special issue set to hit newsstands in late 1999. "Billions of people have lived this century. See the 100 we should all remember," reads a headline on the Web page. Editors figured the survey would bring attention to the site and foster intellectual debate among Internet users. They were only half-right. To date, more than 20 million votes have been cast in the poll, making it the most popular interactive feature in Time.com's history. But from the start, the debate has been far less brainy than brawny. Flair fans and other morons with modems immediately began casting votes for the wrestler. And they haven't stopped. Expected and logical contenders for the crown, from good guys like Gandhi and Pope John Paul II to heels like Hitler, have proved no match for Flair. As of last weekend, the wrestler had notched more than 310,000 votes, the second-highest total in the poll and about 122,000 votes ahead of third-place Hitler. For now, the only guy between Flair and the Time title is the Son of God himself, Jesus Christ."

I mean, it's Ric Flair, so that seems perfectly reasonable.
  • @dante and @chopperbyrne - I cant dent I'm not tempted to go and vote for The Man. 

@Yoss - I've said it before, I admire your optimism.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    He's not as stupid as we think, or at least his advisers aren't.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/the-boris-bus-conspiracy/
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t believe it was planned at all. Aside from anything else, I doubt he was briefed on the questions beforehand.
  • I suppose we'll find out if he ever recalls an anecdote about that time he tried to post a watermelon through a letterbox
  • Johnson is many things, but he’s not stupid. His bus model bullshit was surely a media distraction, though I think the Google results are a happy side effect and not a deliberate plan.
  • I suppose we'll find out if he ever recalls an anecdote about that time he tried to post a watermelon through a letterbox
    Hahaha
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t believe it was planned at all. Aside from anything else, I doubt he was briefed on the questions beforehand.

I work in search and we literally had the conversation today before even knowing about the article and other search people on my Twitter are talking about it. A major personality can easily game the SERPs if directed properly.

• Yeah, but this was about burying the story that he had a violent domestic. Also burying the Brexit bus is just icing on the cake.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!