The British Politics Thread
  • Maybe the left needs to get dirty. It's all well and good taking the highroad but as you say, if the game is already rigged, you don't benefit.

@jonb - just to be clear, I'm criticising both. It's just corbyn is getting defended here. This temporary government seems a good idea. It has one stumbling block at the moment (unless I've missed something else) and that's who gets to be temp pm. Corbyn says it should be him and several of the votes that will be needed to make it work say that's the sticking point.

No other party leader is saying they should be the temp pm (and to be fair, if they did they would have no claim over corbyn at that point) and the lib dem proposal of it being a an elder back bendh parliament figure makes sense as it's aim is to get an extension and then call a GE. If this is the only option left to stop no deal, then unfortunately the issue of corbyn being temp pm is massive. If he steps aside and some other issue comes up then fine, the other side can take the blame but if he insists on being temp pm and that's the reason it doesn't go ahead? Sorry, he has to shoulder a lot of that.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    @jonb - just to be clear, I'm criticising both. It's just corbyn is getting defended here.
    I know, but the reason I'm only defending Corbyn at this point is that he hasn't done anything to criticise. There is literally no viable alternative available right now for him to support. A few other politicians tossing names into the air in no official capacity doesn't mean anything. Conversely, someone like Swinson rejecting this actual request for cross-party talks can be criticised.

TBH, I doubt this unity govt thing can work at all anyway, regardless of who's in charge, but the best chance is still with Corbyn - for example, will the SNP work with a Tory leader? - even if it ends up as a joint leadership of some kind.
  • It makes no sense whatsoever. Its a constitutional nonsense.

How do you think bypassing constututional norms to install Ken Clarke as PM will play to people who aren't hardcore remainers? Its an invitation to be slaughtered in a subsequent GE. Christ, the Vote Leave cunts must be rubbing their hands with glee. "Establishment stitch up! Vote Man of the People Boris Johnson to stick it to the elites!"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sunday Telegraph today is a practical gallows for the EU and Corbyn.  Sheesh.

The problem with the polemic around Brexit is that all points of view have a sliver of correctness. The skews are horrendous though.  It's like a mass mania.

There's also a book review of a work that covers the cabal that plotted to overthrow the Wilson government and their plan for putting Mountbatten in charge. Had heard of that plot but this book might be worth a read under the covers as a distraction if/when the balloon goes up.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • ‘Smear! Wilson and the Secret State’ is a good book on the same subject.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Spycatcher by Peter Wright covered that era towards the end of the book. There was a hypothesis that Wilson was a Russian agent and there was some effort expended toward proving it.  I think the intention was to damage Wilson whether it was truthful or not.

Wright was advised at the time to distance himself from those intelligence efforts and the plot as the cabal was made up of a colourful collection of adventurers and fantasists.

This latest work claims the Queen had a word with Louis telling him to keep his distance.
  • It was bollocks, James Angleton and the counter intelligence branch of the CIA got the idea that he might be. But then Angleton was so paranoid he thought the head of the CIA itself was a Russian mole.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Yeah - it seems it was part of the overthrow plot.

It was certainly a time of paranoia and the plotters were happy to take advantage.
  • There was also the sense that Britain was drifting towards full on communism and something needed to be done to reverse the tide - hence Thatcherism and the orchestrated attacks on unions and the left.

Different groups of plotters though, some old fashioned Queen & Country Tories, some rather foolish elements of MI5, press barons, businessmen upset at the endless strikes and militancy, even South African intelligence frustrated at the Labour government embarrassing them over apartheid...
  • JonB wrote:
    TBH, I doubt this unity govt thing can work at all anyway, regardless of who's in charge, but the best chance is still with Corbyn - for example, will the SNP work with a Tory leader? - even if it ends up as a joint leadership of some kind.

Your probably right. I think I'm just hitting max frustration with all this. So apologies if I was coming across over combatative to anyone.

Are there any other viable options on this or is it all pretty much said and done? Am I right in thinking that a no confidence vote isn't enough to actually stop no deal. There needs to be someone in government who goes to the EU and asks for the extension to at least allow a GE.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There are a few different options, one of which is to pass a vote in the HoC which requires the government to request an extension of no deal has been made. The same thing happened to May, and it sounds like moves are being made towards it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Think so. The way I understand it is the default is we leave unless there is an invention.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    There are a few different options, one of which is to pass a vote in the HoC which requires the government to request an extension of no deal has been made. The same thing happened to May, and it sounds like moves are being made towards it.
    Some seem to be putting hopes in this, but I thought the EU had ruled out further extensions except for a GE or 2nd ref.
  • JonB wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Some seem to be putting hopes in this, but I thought the EU had ruled out further extensions except for a GE or 2nd ref.

Yeah, theres effectively two parts. UK to request an extension and the also to show how it might help. If the current government were to remain then I can't see the EU agreeing to an extension because it really is just delaying the inevitable. If there was a different government in power along with that, then I could defo see an extension being granted.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The EU are also concerned about being blamed for the fallout from no deal, so I expect there’ll be some flexibility there, especially as there will almost certainly be a GE soon, whether triggered by Johnson or a VONC.
  • Debating constitutional niceties is all very well but it's painfully obvious that Boris and his cronies are going to porogue parliament anyway.  MPs won't have a chance to vote down no deal because they'll be completely bypassed. I mean fuck, he's already labelled them all 'collaborators'. And you can see from his decision to completely ignore demands to cancel the Summer recess and recall parliament what contempt he has for the institution.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Debating constitutional niceties is all very well but it's painfully obvious that Boris and his cronies are going to porogue parliament anyway. 

Based on what?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The EU are also concerned about being blamed for the fallout from no deal, so I expect there’ll be some flexibility there, especially as there will almost certainly be a GE soon, whether triggered by Johnson or a VONC.

I don't know if the above is true. I think the EU, like everyone else, has seen that it will be part of the no deal brexit narrative that it was the EUs fault that it happened. An extension doesn't solve that because it can just be cast aside on the basis that the EU won't get rid of the backstop so it's still their fault.

Without Johnson being out of government the EU won't be offering an extension. But if the UK did go for an election before times up, its still up to the current UK government to either ask for or at least accept the extension. That's not going to happen.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Debating constitutional niceties is all very well but it's painfully obvious that Boris and his cronies are going to porogue parliament anyway. 

Based on what?

Taking a guess but the fact the government still took its summer recess says a hell of a lot.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Can’t miss the summer garden party season. Come on.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Blocks100 wrote:

Based on what?

Taking a guess but the fact the government still took its summer recess says a hell of a lot.

Not convinced by this as evidence for much, TBH.
  • Government doesn't have recess. Parliament does. It always takes it. MPs are burned out.

This country needs civics lessons. I know Dave's in Ireland but still.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Government doesn't have recess. Parliament does. It always takes it. MPs are burned out.

This country needs civics lessons. I know Dave's in Ireland but still.

Consider me educated so. I'd still argue that in this case, maybe parliament should have pushed on. Things are a little bit different this year. Although, maybe it wouldn't have done any good anyway. Seems to have help the no deal time line but that could just be coincidence.

Could the no convidence vote have been during the summer if there was no recess? Would an earlier call have helped negate the need for even the idea of this unity gov? Genuine questions.

SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    At first I thought a recess to be ludicrous - but a break is needed.  Time to reflect or plot.

:)
  • https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-raise-state-pension-age-18953679

IDS unveils exciting ‘work until the day you die’ opportunity for Britain’s beleaguered proles. Great news.
    And Jan Shortt of the National Pensioners Convention added: “The longer you work the more ill you become and the less likely you are to even reach retirement age.”

That’s the plan, Jan. A dead citizen is a cheap citizen. Flog ‘em until their dead.

Also ‘incentivises’ people into taking out private pensions, potentially cutting down on those who might apply for state pension in the future. More money saved.

Ah, sweet Tory freedom.
  • Seems like Labour is getting ready for the final move.
    Good luck Corbyn!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-raise-state-pension-age-18953679

IDS unveils exciting ‘work until the day you die’ opportunity for Britain’s beleaguered proles. Great news.
    And Jan Shortt of the National Pensioners Convention added: “The longer you work the more ill you become and the less likely you are to even reach retirement age.”

That’s the plan, Jan. A dead citizen is a cheap citizen. Flog ‘em until their dead.

Also ‘incentivises’ people into taking out private pensions, potentially cutting down on those who might apply for state pension in the future. More money saved.

Ah, sweet Tory freedom.

Jesus fuck.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thing is. The pension bill is climbing.

Something has to be done.

I'm not backing what the idiot IDS is proposing but people need to realise that NHS and pensions with an aging population need to be paid for somehow.  It is a particularly thorny problem. One way is taxation but that's neither popular or in line with the Nasty party.

A meeting in the middle of working life and tax/private schemes will be a solution.

There was an awful lot of lavish public sector pension deals pre crash. Fund managers when the going was good didn't seem to think about saving for a rainy decade.  Well run schemes can work. I know people who retired far too early - an awful lot of experience walked out of our door with no budget to replace it. I suspect it's the case in many places.  I'm fortunate to be in a scheme that is still viable - I've been told it's worth an extra £20K on my current salary if I was to try and create such a fund now.

Young folk really need to bite the bullet and start thinking about a pension as soon as they start working. The earlier one starts the better and it needn't be a noticeable chunk out of take home.

I wouldn't want to be part of that gen to be honest - between that and mortgages it's a rough time to be joining the workforce.

I myself am worried about health care as I age. It's starting to feel like something out of Dickens. God help you if you are old and sick.  The system seems to be designed to remove any assets from the lower classes so that the next generation become serfs with no assets or capital. We are well on the way to that as it is.

As divisive a figure Thatcher was - one good thing she did was to create a generation of asset holders. It's unravelling already.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Everything’s noticeable out of my take home, I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

The idea of saving for retirement is just lol.
  • davyK wrote:
    Thing is. The pension bill is climbing.

Something has to be done.

I'm not backing what the idiot IDS is proposing but people need to realise that NHS and pensions with an aging population need to be paid for somehow.  It is a particularly thorny problem. One way is taxation but that's neither popular or in line with the Nasty party.

A meeting in the middle of working life and tax/private schemes will be a solution.

There was an awful lot of lavish public sector pension deals pre crash. Fund managers when the going was good didn't seem to think about saving for a rainy decade.  Well run schemes can work. I know people who retired far too early - an awful lot of experience walked out of our door with no budget to replace it. I suspect it's the case in many places.

Young folk really need to bite the bullet and start thinking about a pension as soon as they start working. The earlier one starts the better and it needn't be a noticeable chunk our of take home.

I wouldn't want to be part of that gen to be honest - between that and mortgages it's a rough time to be joining the workforce.

I myself am worried about health care as I age. It's starting to feel like something out of Dickens. God help you if you are old and sick.

God help you indeed. The answer is to fund social care better, and to incentivise in family care.

Helping economies grow outside of certain conurbations is also a priority. The current economic realities splits families up.

A cap on social care, like the Tories proposed at the last general election, is also a fair solution - it redistributes wealth, in a sense, by ensuring that those sitting on a home worth a lot can get care against a lien on the home, capped at a fair amount. People hate it, but it is what must be done.

People fetishize their home, and passing it onto their kin. But if their kin won't take care of them, and they can't afford to pay for care, then that is the only workable solution.

I should add: step in to prevent rip off care home arrangements and tip old age only property developers

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!