The British Politics Thread
  • What does it mean to you Liv?
  • To me it refers to Corbyn's political ideals, how it is loaded relates to how accurate they are being portrayed.

It isn't a word that is going to go away so it is far better to approach it from that point of view as it allows inaccuracies in his political stance to be corrected.
  • I'm not sure - I think that challenging the word at the outset could be an effective way to challenge those inaccuracies and demonstrate the power of words.

It is in the lexicon but it shouldn't be, and it was put in the lexicon by powerful people with nefarious interests. One way of showing that it shouldn't exist is precisely to ask people what it means to them, and show that it means different things to different people. True political / social movements can be more uniformly defined.

- Leftist policies
    - Antisemitism
    - Communism by another name
    - Terrorist sympathies / IRA support
    - Youthful Labour positivism
    - Entryism
    - etc

How can all that be defined by one word which actually means something? it's a weapon used by progressivism's enemies and needs to be called out
  • Ok, but you said Corbynist isn't the way to go. So, what do you mean by that? What isn't the way to go?
  • Ok, but you said Corbynist isn't the way to go. So, what do you mean by that? What isn't the way to go?

Long term I think it is the way to go but not immediately. It needs somewhat dialing down to begin with to prove the positives. I realise this is easier said than done but for example in this election it was clear that the manifesto (while I accept wasn't the main issue) had elements of "too good to be true".

If it can be proved that taking e.g rail in to public ownership first then doing the same with Comms and Utilities later will prove an easier sell.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I'm not sure - I think that challenging the word at the outset could be an effective way to challenge those inaccuracies and demonstrate the power of words. It is in the lexicon but it shouldn't be, and it was put in the lexicon by powerful people with nefarious interests. One way of showing that it shouldn't exist is precisely to ask people what it means to them, and show that it means different things to different people. True political / social movements can be more uniformly defined. - Leftist policies - Antisemitism - Communism by another name - Terrorist sympathies / IRA support - Youthful Labour positivism - Entryism - etc How can all that be defined by one word which actually means something? it's a weapon used by progressivism's enemies and needs to be called out

Decent counter argument.

At the very least it needs to be explained in that way.

Simply claiming it doesn't exist in one sentence isn't.
  • So, do less basically, when it comes to the public sector?
  • So, do less basically, when it comes to the public sector?
    As an example.
    I don't see a revolution happening at the polling booth but change could happen gradually, probably over a couple of decades.
    It isn't ideal but neither is a massive Tory majority.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    My post wasn't a dig at you liv, I was simply commenting on the fact that what would have previously been labeled centre left progressive policy is now smeared with the toxicity that is "Corbynism". That has only been achieved by the complicity of the press.
  • Jess Phillips has now officially entered the race to be the next Labour leader. Good. She's got the common touch, she's a superb orator and exactly the sort of plain speaking no nonsense character that will absolutely maul Boris in the Chamber. She's got my vote.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • What does she stand for other than plain speaking no nonsense? Also what’s common touch, is it basically she’s northern? These are actually serious questions, I genuinely don’t know, haven’t done the research on her
  • She seems functionally useless other than an accent
  • Basically. 

I mean, Christ, if people thought Long-Bailey's opening gambit was bad.
  • alright I’ll do the research on her voting record and public statements and background and answer myself JEEZE
  • Question boys - why is the leader seen as so vital for a party representing lots of politicians, members and ultimately voters. They need to be the best promoter of the party, and yes they need to lead, but surely they aren't suddenly the lightning rod for everything the party now represents (this isn't a labour thing by the way, just a more general) 

I've no idea if Jess Philips or Keir Stammer is the best choice but the most important things are:

1. Can they lead (and delegate - vital for a leader)?
    2. Can the sell the ideals of the party to the voter? (I'd argue the problem for Corbyn was that if you objected to him personally, he was so central to the labour mandate that it made it hard to seperate) 
    3. Can they bring all sides within the party together?
    SFV - reddave360
  • @Funkstain. She is more of a centralist, preferring to tackle homelessness first, rather than introducing a sweeping programme of nationalisation. She's a Brummie. And her background is working in a women's refuge, social worker then MP.  So she's grounded and is seen and done things that members of Labour's intelligentsia haven't.  Plus she makes speeches like this:

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Thanks Blocks. My initial impression is that there’s a lot of image management - a lot of “I’m true working class representation compared to these London elites” when her parent was a chief exec of an NHS trust (salary: well over £150k). Of course, only important if she trades on that image, will continue to look at speeches and books. Very strong on women representation in parliament and committees so that’s good.

Not sure about the labour “intelligencia” comment, suppose it depends on exactly who we’re talking about; let’s not forget Corbyn was literally fighting fascists on the streets in the 70s. Maybe the Seamus Milnes of this world tho?
  • Oddly I was just listening to her on the Off Menu podcast.
    She chose "Breakfast for tea" as her dream main course.
  • Large scale nationalisation is a dream and doesn’t actually solve problems inherently.

I think she is more likely to win an election by thinking of what real people need here and now over ambitions of controlling everything.

Also I think she has a better chance of connecting with normal people.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Thanks Blocks. My initial impression is that there’s a lot of image management - a lot of “I’m true working class representation compared to these London elites” when her parent was a chief exec of an NHS trust (salary: well over £150k). Of course, only important if she trades on that image, will continue to look at speeches and books. Very strong on women representation in parliament and committees so that’s good.
    And this is the tabloid attack against Phillips. Her Mum did alright for herself so her daughter must be a giant fraud.
  • Large scale nationalisation is a dream and doesn’t actually solve problems inherently.

I think she is more likely to win an election by thinking of what real people need here and now over ambitions of controlling everything.

Its interesting that you think real people dont need better housing, transport, utilities and communications.
  • Anyone who can't bridge the here and now with some sort of long term vision is someone who may as well not bother as far as I'm concerned. I don't really care who they appeal to if they don't have bigger plans to respond to current and coming crises - they aren't going to make enough of a difference.
  • Its interesting that you think real people dont need better housing, transport, utilities and communications.

‘Real people’ need Jess Phillips stomping around in her £300 heels, hawking a copy of her latest book, doing a bad am dram version of anger and largely shouting incoherently about nothing. But as long as that incoherent shouting is in a regional accent, who cares eh?

No vision, no principles, no ideology? No problem!
  • Jess Phillips has nothing, no vision, at all. She'd be a disaster.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms

Its interesting that you think real people dont need better housing, transport, utilities and communications.

This is a wild interpretation of what I wrote!
  • monkey wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    Thanks Blocks. My initial impression is that there’s a lot of image management - a lot of “I’m true working class representation compared to these London elites” when her parent was a chief exec of an NHS trust (salary: well over £150k). Of course, only important if she trades on that image, will continue to look at speeches and books. Very strong on women representation in parliament and committees so that’s good.
    And this is the tabloid attack against Phillips. Her Mum did alright for herself so her daughter must be a giant fraud.

:( that you think I’m awful enough to succumb to basic tabloid smears makes me worry about how badly I come across itt!

These are her own words, her own team placing her as a “working class people's champion” directly in opposition not just to the tories but specifically and precisely the Corbyn-supporting wing of the party. To be fair, having Corbyn’s oxbridge lot va Philips debating who’s more working class is a bit like as if you had a debate on racism and only invited white people but it’s not a helpful argument in any case.

I’ve found more, so far my main concerns now echo the others here: the coherent vision for the country. Nationalisation was hardly the only pillar in Corbyn’s plans, the manifesto was transformative (however much we debate its merits and realism). You have to have SOMETHING beyond “better representation and protection for women (v good) and more plain speaking”. Can anyone point me to something longer term planning she’s been involved with / discussed / written down?

This is a wild interpretation of what I wrote!

I mean you started with a pretty wild interpretation of the last Labour manifesto, so I'm not sure what you expected.

If you genuinely believe the idea of nationalising the industries proposed was because of 'ambitions over controlling everything' rather than it being a way of adressing the needs of real people here and now I can't really help you.

I missed out health in that last list, but the idea of it was to improve peoples lives across all those sectors. You've dismissed it as a dream, and plenty of people seemed to think it was fanciful.

But that to me says giving up before you've even started. I don't know how you don't think Labours manifesto wouldn't have helped 'real people' (who are the not real people as an aside?), in the here and now, and I'm not sure what alternative you think Jess Phillips is proposing.
  • Please tell me how nationalisation = better.
  • How is private better?

That's not the question anyway. Do you believe that the nationalisation was proposed because Corbyn and his team wanted to control everything, or do you think they proposed at it as the best way they saw of delivering positive impacts on peoples lives in those areas?
  • Please tell me how nationalisation = better.

In theory? When services are there for the benefit of all (and in the case of utilities, are effectively owned by everyone collectively) then public ownership should help ensure that the service is delivered and maintained in a manner that benefits everyone. When they are privately owned, they are delivered and maintained in a way that maximises profit, not the benefit of the users.

Yes, there are difficulties with nationalisation. Balancing general efficiency with the need to maintain those aspects that are less efficient but are there to provide a better quality service to all. But the answer is not privatisation.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!