The British Politics Thread
  • Really disappointed about Phillip's stance on Brexit that she aired on Marr over the weekend. Would try and negotiate re-entry into the EU if things weren't going well. While taking such a position is laudable, it'll be a stick the Tories will use to beat her over and over again should she win the leadership contest. Starmer’s got the right idea. Labour' Brexit policy was the main thing that lost them the election. Time to move on. Don't oppose exit or talk of future re-entry, just take Boris to task over getting the best deal possible.

I think Jess Phillips is buoyed by the fact that she was re-elected as a Remain MP in an area that voted to Leave. But the good relationship that she enjoys with her local constituents afforded her that opportunity to fly the flag for Remain, I can't see how she can hope to appeal to the nation on such a platform.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yeah I thought the same when I saw that, even if you do think you'd want to negotiate re-entry (oo-er), why the fuck bring it up now? I think I literally raised my eyebrows when she said it.
  • Also crossrail now delayed until xmas 2022 ffs fml.
  • Shes now disavowed that.

I think she was stitched up a bit with the question, but it was a bad answer. Its blown a bit of a hole in her telling it like it is shtick mind.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Also crossrail now delayed until xmas 2022 ffs fml.

Fucking hell, when I was looking to buy owner there it was due in 2018
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Have they given actual reasons behind the delay?
    All I can find is "underestimated the task".

Which feeds my theory about why these gov projects are often delayed and over budget, they pick the lowest pitch which is normally low balling knowing once committed the gov cant back out.
  • It's the usual
  • What will get done first, HS2 or Crossrail? Place bets now.
  • Crosarail for sure.
    Spoiler:
  • HS2 or Scotland to Ireland bridge?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Have they given actual reasons behind the delay? All I can find is "underestimated the task". Which feeds my theory about why these gov projects are often delayed and over budget, they pick the lowest pitch which is normally low balling knowing once committed the gov cant back out.

That’s an unwanted, but inevitable, side effect of the public sector procurement process. Bane of my fucking life.
  • Jess Phillips will lead the country to rejoining the EU before that bridge gets built bud.
    Spoiler:
  • Jess Phillips on BBC breakfast at the moment and she's really fucking struggling. However she had reiterated that she's definitely from the Midlands, she definitely wants to represent real people and that Labour can't win the next election without the backing of the people, so that looks like a solid platform to campaign on.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • From the clips I’ve seen of her media spree she just looks completely out of her depth in this context. She needed to make a step up from her usual speaking her mind cobblers if she wants to convince people she can lead the whole country. Floundering around on simple questions.
  • I don’t think anyone believes the next Labour leader will have a chance of leading the country. They only need to be able to lead the party.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bring back Ed Balls, he knew how to lead a banging party.

DeadlyFrightenedArcticfox-size_restricted.gif
  • The last thing I want to think about is Ed Balls banging.
  • monkey wrote:
    From the clips I’ve seen of her media spree she just looks completely out of her depth in this context. She needed to make a step up from her usual speaking her mind cobblers if she wants to convince people she can lead the whole country. Floundering around on simple questions.

But that's all she ever does /has ever done, that's why I get shrill about this. She is seriously the absolute worst candidate, Long-Bailey excepted, on that front. (I do not know what TLB is like on media). Lisa Mandy seems very good.
  • Hot take. Jess strikes me as being a decent principled sort... but completely unelectable with the larger electorate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • A cheeky Nandy's?
  • Yeah I'm waiting until I've seen some debates or something but she's not going to do it for me (Phillips). If she had a compelling message or something, then maybe. The pitch appears to be based on "I'm Jess Phillips and I've achieved a high enough media profile to now run the country". The current order for me based on pretty much nothing but rough impressions is
    1) Starmer
    2) Long-Bailey
    3) There is no 3. 
    RLB I also know zip about. She was acceptable in one debate during the election and is apparently behind a lot of the policy stuff in the manifesto like the Green New Deal. Starmer I'd expect to edge back towards the Miliband section of the policy spectrum but knows enough not to go full Blair. I hope one or both of them steps up and impresses a bit more.
  • This was a good thing on Nandy.
    The problem is that the argument that she can cure it is, at the moment, based solely on her back-story. It’s based on the case that she is a change candidate, from “not London” and "gets it". The problem is that if your appeal is based on the spin of  "Lisa Nandy gets towns, folksily launches in the Wigan Post" and the reality is "Lisa Nandy: launches with an op-ed in the Guardian, just like everybody else", then your campaign becomes one without a unique selling point. As I wrote about the launch of Jess Phillips’ campaign a few hours earlier, if you run as straight-talking, you've got to talk straight. If you run as wanting to do politics differently, you have to do it differently. 
    The awkward truth is that Nandy isn’t that different from the other candidates, or from any other Labour MP. She went to London for a bit, worked for an MP, then in a third sector organisation for a bit, then came home and became the MP. There’s nothing wrong with any of that. But when your campaign is based on doing things differently from the rest of the field, when they all have the exact same CV as you, it risks blowing the whole enterprise up. To offer change, you have to demonstrate change.
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2020/01/lisa-nandys-campaign-launch-has-written-cheque-she-cant-cash
    Still, early days.
  • g.man wrote:
    Hot take. Jess strikes me as being a decent principled sort... but completely unelectable with the larger electorate.

Hold on, where have I heard that before?
  • Every Labour leader since Blair. And then everyone before him since Harold Wilson.
  • Blair of course was a decent electable sort, but completely unprincipled.
  • I don't think the Brits'd fall for Blair 2 now, the later 90s were kind of weird.
  • You need a Blair-esque figure to get in (to sneak progressive policies past the reactionary, socially conservative electorate and the hateful press) but to then go full on Corbyn once they take power.

Which is very unlikely to happen, even if such a person actually exists.
  • 5 years from now there’s no telling what they’ll go for. If the mob in charge now tear everything up as much as they seem to want to, a ‘radical transformative agenda’ might be unpopular. People might just want things to settle down for a bit, however delusional that wish is. This really was the moment to change things and it was lost. It might not come again for a long time. On the other hand, the Tories could fuck everything so hard that people would elect anybody just to get rid.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!