The British Politics Thread
  • Brits were plenty fucking happy with big govt after WW2 and well into the '70s.
  • But crucially, they're also plenty fucking parochial and enough nativist shit has been flung around now that's always going to compromise Labour's attempt to be decently cosmopolitan, short of a staggeringly impressive long term change in lots of people's upbringings.
  • The mania for self-manufacture is a Yank thing really, I still don't see it as especially pertinent here.
  • Maybe but there are aspects that have informed it. thatcher giving everyone a house for cheap and reinforcing patriotism via the falklands were signs that Britain is a sucker for it. The increasing prevalence of military iconography (the rise of help for heroes) is also a hint.
  • I think that comes under parochial nativist shit. Loadsamoney was a figure of ridicule; there's a reason our most conspicuously Successful celebs fuck off to the States.
  • That Huawei decision then. I'm sure this won't have any implications for this marvelous US trade deal Johnson has lined up.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Compromise.  It's the art of the deal.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    We already have Huawei ingrained in the 4g network, which will form the backbone of the 5g network, so refusing to use any Huawei in the 5g roll out would be a bit silly.
  • It's a little more political than that. What the govt have effectively said is that Huawei cannot play any real or significant part in the 5G networks being built out by EE, Telefonica etc.

Telefonica will already need to cancel / significantly change ongoing systems roll-outs (SMSCs manufactured by Huawei, for example, or the Online Charging System which is the foundation of how users get correctly charged for network activity) - this is Huawei bread and butter.

So, publicly, expect headlines like "Boris socks it to the US", or "US gets snubbed in attempts to persuade govt to reject Huawei"; whereas privately, they can go to the US and say "right then we've done what you've asked". It's win win for Johnson and co.
  • Wait, Jeremy Hunt is chairing the select committee that scrutinises the department that he very recently was in charge of?

How is that remotely allowed?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There was a pretty horrific Panorama last night - only caught the end of it - seems to be buildings left empty after the crash being bought up and turned into housing to address the housing crisis  -they looked like something out of Eraserhead to live in.

They are also moving people on probation (I didn't realise that service had been partially privitised - what the fuck is going on in this country?) straight into them with a resulting mix of inhabitants that may not work - tidbits about data security being compromised etc.

It's like a segment out of Gilliam's Brazil.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And re Huawei - the UK spooks poked through the firmware - so what is the problem with using that equipment?

Anyhoo - if GEC hadn't been sold off in the 80s like the family silver they would have built any network we liked.
  • davyK wrote:
    And re Huawei - the UK spooks poked through the firmware - so what is the problem with using that equipment?

If you assume that due diligence has been done, then the only problem is that using it would piss off Trump and jeopardise UK/US relations. And as things stand, Johnson’s grand plan seems be to rely on US trade and US military alliance.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    If you assume that due diligence has been done, then the only problem is that using it would piss off Trump and jeopardise UK/US relations. And as things stand, Johnson’s grand plan seems be to rely on US trade and US military alliance.

Yup.  Just wanted to point out there would be no tech reason to not use that equipment.

Seems the gammons have swapped Brussels for Washington.
  • Re: Huawei, maybe it's not just China potentially demanding access that's the problem?
    190428-Huawei-board.jpg
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I asked someone reliable and basically the UK has to choose between using 5G that can get back doored by China or using 5G that can get back-doored by the US.

Another way to look at it is, we know we are gonna get ass fucked. So we have to choose between being ass fucked by an american dude or a chinese d---

Think I'll stop there actually
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Luckily for us we picked both, since were using Huawei, Siemens and someone else to do the infrastructure.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • No dp spitroasting pls tyvm.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • In Brexit Britain, all orifices are open for business.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    LADS THE ANSWER IS TO BUY BRITISH https://www.metaswitch.com/solutions/mobile-solutions/5g-core SHARES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST
  • Someone pls check how many ex conservative dickheads are on the board at Siemens and that other company.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    NONE ON OUR BOARD M8
  • https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/04/camerons-bodyguard-suspended-for-leaving-gun-in-plane-toilet

Unbelievable that they could leave a gun behind, they should treat their firearms with the same care as if it were their own child.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Heh
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I asked someone reliable and basically the UK has to choose between using 5G that can get back doored by China or using 5G that can get back-doored by the US. Another way to look at it is, we know we are gonna get ass fucked. So we have to choose between being ass fucked by an american dude or a chinese d--- Think I'll stop there actually

Yup. The US are only kicking up because they want all the back doors. It isn't just the network we need to be worrying about though - there are back doors all the way up the technology stack.

Foe example the same can be said of most mainstream cyber security sols (av, etc). Many of those are developed in Israel.
  • The other trap is it’s not that America Per Se will have control but really American Companies which are even more opaque and undemocratic.

I mean so much of our net infrastructure goes through Amazon, Google, Apple, Microsoft and Facebook now.
  • I mean so much of our net infrastructure goes through Amazon, Google, Apple, Microsoft and Facebook now.

Which all goes straight to the NSA, as that nice Mr Snowden showed us a few years ago.

So the US have their back doors already. Why worry about more?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ahahaha someone I went to uni with is now the frickin Attorney General. I don't have great memories...
  • No 10 refuses to comment on PM's views of racial IQ

I mean, what? This is the freest of freebies. "No, it's bollocks that." Under Johnson you could even get away with that phrasing. They even went out of their way to distance themselves from a member of the Government saying it wasn't the view of the Government:

Grant Shapps, the transport secretary, said over the weekend that Sabisky’s comments were “not my views and those are not the views of the government”.

However, the prime minister’s deputy official spokesman said Shapps was speaking only for himself when he made that statement.
  • If Sabisky is the quality of hire made by Cummings then everyone should stand down on the "my god this man is going to change everything!" hysteria (just in case anyone is in that place).

The guy is a twenty-something "Cambridge graduate" (sigh) who describes himself as a super forecaster. He poses no threat to any of the civil service, the judiciary, public services, or anybody at all really. An intellectual dilettante who thinks provocative blog posts equate to the hard work of revolution

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!