The British Politics Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holy fuck. What a nasty little piece of work.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • And just like that, he’s gone. Complaining about ‘selective quoting by the media’ as he left.
  • What an odious little cunt. Shan't be missed.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    How could selective quoting come up with what he is credited with saying?

There is no context I could think of, nor an editor's scissors, that could paint such a picture.

Good riddance.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What really annoys me is that pollutants like that monster can get into government and influential positions by the back the door. Fuck knows who else is in there via the same route.
  • We have quite enough problems with the ones going in the front door at the moment.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    What an odious little cunt. Shan't be missed.

Plus one this.

But to be honest he just fucked it by voicing his views publicly. I am certain that people who hang around and are funded by Bannon actually do think this type of behaviour is ok. They just need to find a sneakier way to do it. Getting out of the EU is one way to avoid scrutiny.
  • I don’t believe this account is genuine for a minute, but it does have potential to be funny.

https://twitter.com/RogueWhitehall
    Cummings does this performative anti-green thing where he insists on not using recyclable coffee cups etc. Well today he just had a blazing row ~in front of the whole office~ with someone who was using a paper straw. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.
    We have been told by upper management not to make eye contact with Dominic Cummings because it interferes with his 'thought processes'.
  • *probably* a parody account, but so believable.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I enjoy the thought of a massive internal witch-hunt with Cummings getting more and more enraged as he tries to uncover who the leak is, when there isn’t one because it’s just a bored junior media exec in Shoreditch taking the piss.
  • Isn't this straight out of the Bannon/Trump playbook? Have someone on staff to voice disgusting opinions to get them into the public consciousness, then shelve that person without actually condemning what they've said so you can grow your base of lunatic racists and maybe 'start a debate' on whatever the issue is - because as we know, these days, anything can be true because nothing can be disproved as long as you say it often enough.

Why else wouldn't they immediately condemn and fire the cunt, as well as totally clarifying the PMs position after being asked 30 times to do so? Unless Cummings had told them specifically not to?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • poprock wrote:
    I enjoy the thought of a massive internal witch-hunt with Cummings getting more and more enraged as he tries to uncover who the leak is, when there isn’t one because it’s just a bored junior media exec in Shoreditch taking the piss.

The Germans seem to know every move we make! I had a letter from Jerry yesterday. It said, "Isn't it about time you changed your shirts, Walrus-face?"
  • I have a theory: I bet Dominic Cummings hates that he needs Boris Johnson to do anything.
  • I have a theory: I bet Dominic Cummings hates that he needs Boris Johnson to do anything.

Given the scowl on that mans face, I wouldnt be surprised if Dominic Cummings hates that he needs Dominic Cummings to do anything as well.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I haven't kept up with the press on this fucking eugenics thing, but have they reported it in a decent way? As in 'look at this idiot with his factually incorrect views'
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The BBC are being very careful, with a lot of "allegedly he wrote this" and "a person with the same avatar and handle wrote this comment" and so on, the list of statements would you'd hope damn anyone, but the BBC is letting it hang there - make your own mind up sort of thing. There's no "established science work has shown that these conclusions are invalid" counters, no
  • Imagine if the same kind of press attention was given to the wacky ideas prevalent on the right ('white people will be a minority, the Muslims are taking over, prepare for race war!' etc) as was given to a handful of antisemitic outliers on the left.

EDIT: not to excuse those outliers and their anti-semitism
  • So the UK now has a similar policy as Australia to prevent new bands from coming to tour. As of January 2021. Thanks Brexit.
    The Home Office has announced that EU bands will require visas in order to perform in the UK from 2021.

While all EU artists and entertainers (plus their crews) can currently move freely between the EU and the UK without work permits or visas, this freedom of movement will end as of January next year after the Brexit transition period finishes in December.

Not only will a Tier 5 visa be required for gigs, festivals etc., it also applies if any non-UK artists are coming to the country for promotional activities, workshops, talks and other such events. This visa is expected to cost £244, and on top of that applicants must also prove that they have £1,000 in savings 90 days before applying.

“You must be this wealthy and successful to create art. Otherwise fuck off.”
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/asa-winstanley/jewish-chronicle-pay-damages-over-anti-semitism-libel

This isn't meant to mean there is no anti-Semitism on the left, but is a pretty clear suggestion that those of us saying it was over-egged had a point...
  • That’s interesting.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Its over-egging was more political than anything else. Haven't heard much of it mentioned since the election.

No doubt it's still there, but the press machine doesn't need to leverage it for the time being.
  • Corbyn is finished. No point in kicking a corpse.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Well this is saying Labour (a part of it at least) weren't anti semitic, so of course it won't get mainstream media attention.
  • Corbyn is finished. No point in kicking a corpse.

That is not the Bullingdon ethos.
  • So, let me get this Cabinet bullying thing straight.

‘Sources’ say that Priti Patel bullies her staff.

The Home Office and our security services (why them?) publish denials, saying it’s not true.

Patel demands an investigation to find the source of these leaks. Her request is denied.

Patel demands an investigation again.

So, hold on. If it’s a ‘leak’ then it’s true. Right? Isn’t Patel scoring an own goal here?
  • “Leak” in this context could just be someone in-house spreading info (rumour or fact) to journos, no?

I’d ditch it if I were Patel as there’s certainly the possibility of incurring The Streisand Effect, so that’s likely an own goal.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was more interested in the allegation that MI5 are withholding certain information as she’s seen as a security risk. Let’s face it she has form on that front.
  • Frankly, I think we have a whole ‘generation’ (I’m using that term loosely) of politicians who look at Johnson (and, to some extent, Trump) and think that they too can get away with anything. Lying, bluffing, obfuscating, bullying, etc. They can’t. They don’t have the protection of actually being publicly in charge. They’re all expendable and Johnson will happily throw any or all of them under the bus, one by one.
  • She's an absolute cunt, I'd pretty much believe anything that's said about her behaviour.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Unless it was positive.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!