The British Politics Thread
  • “You scored very highly on the DSM scale for measuring levels of psychopathy, and showed encouraging signs of lacking both empathy or concern for the suffering of others. I think you’ll fit in very well here...”
  • poprock wrote:
    It’s funny because it’s true. Cummings sees himself as Elon Musk when actually he’s Alan Partridge.

I think it's that he's misinterpreted The Thick Of It
  • But what can winch him out?
  • He'll winch himself out shortly enough. He doesn't appear to stick around very long when things don't go exactly his way, and the briefing against him is getting very intense. I'd be surprised if he's still there at Christmas.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So the PM seems keen to close parliament cos corona. Conveniently that could give him another holiday.
  • At least a couple been failed already.
  • They just didn’t want it enough. They coulda been like Alan Sugar and pulled themselves up by the bootstraps but instead they decided to die in a frozen flat of smack addiction.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    So the PM seems keen to close parliament cos corona. Conveniently that could give him another holiday way to avoid sorting out Brexit issues. 

Fixed that for you.
  • poprock wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    So the PM seems keen to close parliament cos corona. Conveniently that could give him another holiday way to avoid sorting out Brexit issues dodge releasing Russia report. 
    Fixed that for you.
  • Johnson, to Cummings: “This bally virus thing gets handier and handier. Was it your idea? Damned clever.”
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Corona is a great thing to blame when hard exit from EU rolls around in January.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51749792
    BBC 'must reflect nation' says new culture secretary Oliver Dowden

...The 41-year-old compared the BBC to the NHS in terms of its national cultural importance, but point out the need for it to change in order to stay relevant.

"If we're honest, some of our biggest institutions missed, or were slow to pick up, key political and social trends in recent years," Mr Dowden he said.

"The BBC needs to be closer to, and understand the perspectives of, the whole of the United Kingdom and avoid providing a narrow urban outlook....

Translation: BBC must become even more pro-Tory in order to successfully reflect a society as hateful, small-minded and miserable as the one we've created.
  • There's something in that though. The BBC aren't trusted. Not that people always they're lying, just that they're metropolitan, six figure income, privately educated, wine-sipping, smug boys. So when one of them comes out and says Brexit is bad, it's like 'yeah whatever mate, for you maybe'. There should be routes in to the BBC for normal people. I don't mean having Enid from Bolton reading the news from a sheet of paper and faffing about for her reading glasses. Just normal people who might remember being hard up once or whatever. Job losses are just statistics for journalists to get excited about because it's drama for the government. Few of them have lived through the effects first-hand.  

I agree that the Beeb's likely conclusion is to replace rich remainer liberals with rich Brexit gits.
  • Stephen Collins is the only thing that is keeping me happy during Current Year

ESQhf2WXkAAQdTI?format=jpg&name=medium

ESNEG5xXsAE8UKq?format=jpg&name=large
  • I think I’m going to vote Lisa Nandy and Doctor Rosena.
  • Nandy seems like she might be a bit of right winger, not down.
    If you'd told me that thing about the Beeb up there came from her I'd be entirely unsurprised.
  • I have apparantly got a vote. I've no idea if I will put a second choice down for leader.

I think I might go Dawn Butler, then Angela Rayner with deputy.
  • This seems to have gone under the radar, only found out from local news.
    Yaxley-Lennon was arrested and charged with common assault on Sunday. He basically got in a fight and hit someone in the face at Center Parcs Woburn.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Thread in Twitter claims his 8 year old daughter had her bum pinched by the guy he punched. He’s a tossed but if true I’d have punched the perv too.
  • Almost certainly not true though.
  • I wish he'd just fuck off forever.
  • Granted, he's a bigoted creep so it's great to hear about him getting locked up up, but it would be even better if we just didn't have to deal with ever hearing about these Z-list shithouses.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I wish he'd just fuck off forever.

Not in this Climate unfortunately.

• The Beeb should hire him in their efforts to ‘reflect the perspectives of the whole of the United Kingdom’ rather than merely the out of touch metropolitan elite.

9:25 Daytime with Tommy & Nigel

Lighthearted daytime chat as Tommy Robinson and Nigel Farage settle back on the sofa to discuss the issues affecting everyday life in modern day Britain. This week’s hot topic: ‘Firebombing a Mosque, what’s the big deal?’
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51749792
    BBC 'must reflect nation' says new culture secretary Oliver Dowden

...The 41-year-old compared the BBC to the NHS in terms of its national cultural importance, but point out the need for it to change in order to stay relevant.

"If we're honest, some of our biggest institutions missed, or were slow to pick up, key political and social trends in recent years," Mr Dowden he said.

"The BBC needs to be closer to, and understand the perspectives of, the whole of the United Kingdom and avoid providing a narrow urban outlook....

Translation: BBC must become even more pro-Tory in order to successfully reflect a society as hateful, small-minded and miserable as the one we've created.
    monkey wrote:
    There's something in that though. The BBC aren't trusted. Not that people always they're lying, just that they're metropolitan, six figure income, privately educated, wine-sipping, smug boys. So when one of them comes out and says Brexit is bad, it's like 'yeah whatever mate, for you maybe'. There should be routes in to the BBC for normal people. I don't mean having Enid from Bolton reading the news from a sheet of paper and faffing about for her reading glasses. Just normal people who might remember being hard up once or whatever. Job losses are just statistics for journalists to get excited about because it's drama for the government. Few of them have lived through the effects first-hand.  

I agree that the Beeb's likely conclusion is to replace rich remainer liberals with rich Brexit gits.

Except this cunt doesn't give a single example of how this conclusion had been reached other than boomers complaining about having to see gays kiss on eastenders or some shit.

When this fucking cunt says these words: "We would be crazy to throw it away but it must reflect all of our nation, and all perspectives." What perspectives does the bbc not reflect? It didn't make enough pro Brexit programming for the old duffers? It didn't have a soap opera about some inbred village of nimbys in rural buttfuck nowhere? ( oh wait, The Archers lmao heyoooo).

Does he cite a single example of the narrow urban mindset at work in the BBC? No.

Its fucking trashhhhhh, he didn't have a point at all. In my anecdotal experience the people who don't think there is enough representation for "them" are largely pro leave, right leaning, old fashioned, small minded idiots. There isn't programming for them because what could you make for them? They're hateful morons of varying degrees. ITV4 shows repeats of The Sweeney, fuck off already.

What he means is that 52% of tbe country hold views that don't tend to align with the sort of people who generally go into the arts and media, and this is a problem because Daily Mail hoes mad or something.

I fucking hate this country now. I actually get some perverted enjoyment out of watching us floundering around on the world stage like the barely coherent drunken uncle at a wedding that we are, singing VINDALOOOO, even though its currently Duran Duran or some shit playing.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Brooks wrote:
    Nandy seems like she might be a bit of right winger, not down.
    If you'd told me that thing about the Beeb up there came from her I'd be entirely unsurprised.

She’s not perfect but I feel like the others are too interested in the idea of the Labour Party as Thing in contrast to a group who want to be in government. (I think kier Starmer is second most keen in being in government but he has struck me as a little bit two faced and massaging each side even when they conflict).

The worst example of this is Richard burgeons peace pledge where he will allow a poll for the members of the party to wash their hands of governments decisions if the labour government does something controversial. As if the reputation of the members is at all important.
  • As an outsider looking in, for all its flaws, the BBC has been an amazing cultural engine for many years. It would be said to see it rapidly decline but it seems there isnt a place for that kind of thing anymore. RTE is much less effective in general but suffers the same problem in effect - either be a tool of the government or be perceived to be regardless.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!