The British Politics Thread
  • What he means is that 52% of tbe country hold views that don't tend to align with the sort of people who generally go into the arts and media

Could it be that making cultural produce that sticks requires something approaching perspicacity and empathy idk
  • The BBC begins screening it's adaptation of Noughts + Crosses tonight, which is apparently a drama about modern Britain under African rule, after the African Empire colonised Europe hundreds of years ago. 
    I gather it's a love story.

should prove popular in the current climate.

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Brooks wrote:
    What he means is that 52% of tbe country hold views that don't tend to align with the sort of people who generally go into the arts and media

Could it be that making cultural produce that sticks requires something approaching perspicacity and empathy idk

He can only speculate on that Brooks.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yeah, it's like the "young adult" version of that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The issue with the BBC really is the diversity at the top regardless who is pointing it out.
    Old, white, male, privileged, centrist remainer. Most if not all those labels can be slapped on anyone at the top of the Beeb.
    The issue comes when they try to balance and pretend they are impartial because they have to source alternative view points from outside. That leaves a bubble for the likes of Farage to step into and tell them what the leavers, the Northerners, the poor, the right want to hear.

The upshot of all this is we now have both sides claiming the BBC is bias towards the other because anyone that doesn't fit that Old, white, male, privileged, centist, remainer niche isn't being represented properly.

There has to be more diversity at the top, there won't be though. It is an old boys club that won't be able to adapt fast enough to save itself.
  • Agreed. Most of the new voices have largely tried to make their way via the web anyway, with issues about actual visibility in an absolute fog of options there. You want actual diversity, you'll find it. It just won't be all slick and Beeby, tough shit.
  • In ironic news Johnson wants to appoint Chris Grayling as chair of the Intelligence Committee.
  • Watching this budget bollocks and some dopey MP just wasted five minutes calling on the PM to congratulate a local junior's swimming team on winning some tinpot swimming trophy. Do we not have more important issues at hand?
  • I am awaiting the sting in the tail of this budget but so far so good for a Tory budget.
  • Will of course need deeper analysis in the coming days.
  • All it took was a solid decade of waiting and the threat of a pandemic...
  • Osborne will be on the floor of his office at the standard writhing in agony with every point put forward by Sunak, like someone pricking a voodoo doll with needles.
  • Look back on the derision and scaremongering when Labour proposed actually spending money on trying to fix this broken society. It was 'communist' to even suggest doing so only last December. 

Glad they've (finally) located their magic money tree and harvested the fruit for our consumption but it's taken ten years of needless, vindictive cruelty to get here, and I'm sure there will be catches somewhere along the line.
  • Double austerity later to pay off this inflated national debt, because the Tory Gov won’t increase taxes on the rich or corporations.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I am awaiting the sting in the tail of this budget but so far so good for a Tory budget.

That was a cracker tbf.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I’m quite glad they’re creating a high tech rnd division. I bet they’ll go the normal British way and cheapo it though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    Look back on the derision and scaremongering when Labour proposed actually spending money on trying to fix this broken society. It was 'communist' to even suggest doing so only last December. 

Glad they've (finally) located their magic money tree and harvested the fruit for our consumption but it's taken ten years of needless, vindictive cruelty to get here, and I'm sure there will be catches somewhere along the line.

In spite of his apparent shitness, maybe Corbyn has managed to move the thinking left enough for a tory Gov to put forward a budget like this?
  • No, this budget has nothing to do with Corbyn or his thinking in my view.

It's absolutely in line with Cummings' and Johnson's avowed desire to fund certain things significantly.

Infrastructure projects and investment in R&D are things they've both championed. Money's cheap right now, although I think they'd have been better off raising tax somewhere (rather than a £3B NI cut...) which Labour would have done, to offset the borrowing costs which will be significant, especially if growth is as low as predicted.

Spending is not really a left v right issue, is it? A proper Corbyn-style budget would have scrapped stuff like (or totally changed the approach to) universal welfare, looked at tuition fees, taxing the rich and businesses better, raised tax on petrol and fuel, and so on
  • Increasing R+D has to be to an extent as a result of observing China’s strides as an economic power.
  • Increasing R&D is only as encouraging as the sharing of spoils are intended to be.
  • Right - where it's spent and on whom - it's gonna be quangos and government IT "catapult" funds all over again

edit: for context go here
  • The Catapults are among the most useless of the ALEOs.
  • Association of Local Energy Officers?
  • Arms Length External Organisations.

Quangos by another name.

Arsehole-Led Empty Orgs.
  • Ah yes. Well, that website really says it all. A quick glance at the "success stories" pages is a depressing read. Lots of our money sunk into that shite.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    No, this budget has nothing to do with Corbyn or his thinking in my view.

It's absolutely in line with Cummings' and Johnson's avowed desire to fund certain things significantly.

Infrastructure projects and investment in R&D are things they've both championed. Money's cheap right now, although I think they'd have been better off raising tax somewhere (rather than a £3B NI cut...) which Labour would have done, to offset the borrowing costs which will be significant, especially if growth is as low as predicted.

Spending is not really a left v right issue, is it? A proper Corbyn-style budget would have scrapped stuff like (or totally changed the approach to) universal welfare, looked at tuition fees, taxing the rich and businesses better, raised tax on petrol and fuel, and so on

It was just an idle thought, but that's a good rebuttal.
  • I've not paid much attention to the details, but surely this government is just looking to spend the next 5 years shifting as much (borrowed) public money into private hands as possible, then fucking off before the shit hits the fan.

If there's a genuine effort to improve infrastructure and services, I'll be surprised.
  • I don't think Salmond's claim that he believed they wanted a naked, drunken, sweaty Alex Salmond lying on top of them and licking them is going to stand up to close scutiny.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • No kink-shaming.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!