The British Politics Thread
  • Uninspiring to say the least, not that any of the other options were particularly thrilling.
  • Perhaps we'll find out what he stands for now.
  • Having nice hair and appeasing whiny centrist columnists, I think.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think he's more left than most make out. Will see I guess. No doubt the Murdoch press have a view as to how to spin him unfavourably whatever he does.
  • I'm interested to see what he does. If anything the last couple of weeks have proven that the labour manifesto was hardly off point when it came to maintaining society.
    I'm surprised we won't see some kind of legislation for broadband provision as the numbers working from home increases.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I want to see him DPP mode probing the Tories relentlessly
  • Well thank fuck for that. I’d expect him to start showing a bit more personality and ideas now he’s through the gauntlet of trying to appeal to Corbynite maniacs. Who knows if he’s got what it takes. But it really can’t be any worse than what Labour have had for the past four and a half years.

A swing towards centrist, milquestoastism is a bit of a concern but frankly so what. Compared to the baggage Corbyn has been dragging round with him, being a bit vapid is nothing.
  • Never change, monks.
  • I see Labour have decided to vote in another 5 years of the tories as their leader. Good shit.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • That’s a silly take.
  • Yeah I think it is too. It’s fine to have hopes for someone like Starmer, I don’t think it’s overly naive.

In one article in the Sunday Times he’s already articulated how I feel about the failures of Cummings’ Johnson’s tories dealing with the disease and its effects an got a headline or two which is more than Corbyn and team have managed in months, other than Jezza’s “see told you I was right, and our historic defeat was nothing at all to do with me” bitterness piece which tasted very sour indeed.

We’ll see I guess, but he’s already committed to maintaining manifesto promises on national ownership, and if he succeeds in his first goal a providing effective opposition - well that’s already a step up.

Nandy was the centrists’ choice and I’m glad she was roundly defeated. Long-bailey would’ve possibly condemned labour to near irrelevance given how divided the party would be to her election as leader.

I’m trending optimistic
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah what funk said basically. The whole "he's too centrist" line is maybe valid as a comparison to LB but pretty unfair compared to the Tories.
  • Yar, I am not a fan of Starmer, but I'd be happy to get behind him as long as it's not a radical shift back to the centre. 

One issue I do have with him is he's seemed in a bit of denial around Brexit in the past (although I think some article quoted him unfairly on that). Also, I'd expect Angela Raynor to be a good link to the Corbyn / Long-Bailey / McDonnell wing of the party. 

We'll see. He was my third choice in a three horse race but...I don't think it has to be a disaster.
  • I’m not at all convinced the arguments about funding the NHS around normal time apply next to a pandemic. There’s no way the NHS should be running daily to be able to cope with a pandemic imho. It’s like paying for four car insurances in case you get a 4 cars suddenly. There are a lot of past decisions that have made things a hell of a lot harder (eg making nurses pay to train, taking away funding) but I’m not convinced the arguments of normal funding implicitly tell you how the nhs would cope in a ridiculous pandemic.

• acemuzzy wrote:
    Yeah what funk said basically. The whole "he's too centrist" line is maybe valid as a comparison to LB but pretty unfair compared to the Tories.

I don’t really know what Keir Starmer is but it doesn’t seem to me that people really want people with an ideology that you can summarise in a word. They want a person who will do the things they say they will do.

At this moment I’m not sure what Keir Starmer wants to do, whether he has a sense of the angst in the country and the ideas to heal them. Out of the trio I thought both Long Bailey and Nandy gave a better idea of what they saw as Britain in the future (centralised and more interventionist and more devolved respectively) while Starmer seemed to play all the roles.
  • I haven’t seen anything from Starmer apart from ‘I’m electable’, whatever the fuck that’s supposed to mean.

I genuinely don’t think it matters. What we need right now is a strong opposition – a Labour leader who will cut through bullshit and loudly and clearly call out the Tories every time they do something shitty. I don’t hold out any hope for Labour winning an election during the next eight years, I just want them to be a clear voice of dissent.
  • i don’t share others’ optimism, but I’d be open (and happy) to be proven wrong.

My support is yet to be won, and I wouldn’t ever vote for him just to get the tories out.
  • I dont get where this centrist thing comes from with Starmer. His haircut?

It strikes me people cant be arsed to read up on him so assume he is centrist and policyless.

First thing he said was he wants to focus on nationalising rail, mail and water.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I wouldn’t ever vote for him just to get the tories out.

This feels like a mistake
  • It is only a few months since the nation’s concerned hand wringers couldn’t bring themselves to vote for Corbyn of course.

I’d still vote Labour, barring a turn to Cummings-esque free market sociopathy but I’m feeling little enthusiasm.

Hopefully Starmer will turn out to be alright.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I wouldn’t ever vote for him just to get the tories out.
    This feels like a mistake
    It's infantile.
  • Not really. We need substantial change, and that's what I will vote for. If it's coming from Labour, great, but if not I will vote green, as I have done in the past. I'm not interested in merely slowing the rot.
  • Sorry I'll take that back (sort of, clarified below). You can vote for who want obviously.
  • Personally speaking, I've lost count of the amount of times that I've read and heard irl people say they'd vote for Labour if Starmer was in charge. You need Tory voters to vote Labour for Labour to win. For two elections now this statement of the obvious has been contested by Corbynites. Now there can't be any dispute. 

He's the one politician that's managed to hold a senior position in Labour without getting Corbyn's musty stench all over him. He's got a track record of delivering results in public service. He's juggled the Brexit problem as well as any other politician. 

If he'd been in charge in 2019, Labour would have won that election. There's no way of knowing if I'm right. And if he fucks up over the next few years, then it's fair to conclude that I'm wrong. But right now you'd have a competent leader, seemingly with some degree of integrity, making life and death decisions. Instead of a lying clown. So all this stuff where, because you're not getting exactly what you want from a political party, you allow the worst to happen, is, imo, selfish and immature. I voted for a man I had no confidence in, a man I despised, twice, because he was the least worst option. And it's not like I've been in love with anyone I've voted for. Suck it up. 

He might be piss poor of course. He's kept pretty quiet about his politics, which is unusual for a leadership contender of a political party. And it's logical to conclude that's because he didn't want to put any lefties off voting for him. Just at a guess, I think he falls somewhere between Ed Miliband and David Miliband, hopefully much nearer to the left of that duo.

This corona virus stuff is probably going to finish Johnson. It could be year or more of this. The only thing they've had to sustain them since about 2015 is this Brexit bollocks. Which is now a worthless currency. Then the donors and Rupert Murdoch and media types will be looking for a new darling and there's Starmer looking statesmanlike and popular. So the whole enterprise could easily slide into Shill Ville.  

Anyway, it seems to me that there's a competent grown up at the top of politics for the first time in a long time. The Tories will be terrified of him, they'll be forced to grow up and improve and that can only be a good thing for the time being.
  • He'd have won the last election with the backing of the press. But then again, I suspect anyone would.
  • That’s fantasy land though. It didn’t matter who was leading Labour, the Tories were always going to have the backing of the press.
  • I don't know about the pre-Thatcher years, but since then the press have only backed Labour under Blair. And that was only Murdoch's two papers - the Times and the Sun. And in nothing like the way they've banged the drum for the Tories in the last decade. The Mail, Express and Telegraph have never backed them.
  • This reminds me, I think Corona Virus is caused by quizzes.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Keir's first article being behind a Murdoch paywall is... inauspicious...
  • It would be better if he pretended Tory voters didn't exist.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!