The British Politics Thread
  • Bringing back Miliband also means that the focus won’t be on the massacre of the Corbynites, of which only a handful have survived; Marsha de Cordova, a rare member of the Campaign Group to have endorsed Starmer, is the shadow women and equalities secretary; Rebecca Long-Bailey goes to shadow education; Cat Smith remains as shadow minister for young people while Andy McDonald moves from transport to shadow employment rights and protections.
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/04/keir-starmer-brings-ed-miliband-and-milibandism-back

These are the remaining Corbynites. Plus Emily Thornberry is still knocking around, who wasn’t the full Corbynite but still compatible. I’ve also seen it said that Jess Philips wasn’t brought in because she’s shit they didn’t want to antagonise the Left.
  • If it's a genuine attempt to balance the party and hold onto a lot of what was in the election manifesto, then great.
  • JonB wrote:
    Not really. We need substantial change, and that's what I will vote for. If it's coming from Labour, great, but if not I will vote green, as I have done in the past. I'm not interested in merely slowing the rot.
    Absolutely. The old rules don't apply anymore (if they ever did). If the opposition isn't pushing for major change, they're a waste of time.

Starmer is a bit unknown at the moment, but that's an issue in itself. That and some of the individuals and groups that have been keen to support him. Plenty in the centre seem to think he's their guy - the one to 'unite' the party by, er, eradicating the bit they don't like. Perhaps they're wrong.

Starmer is soft. He is going to be pulled to the centre, after paying some lip service to what the membership thought they wanted. He is Trudeau, I don't know what to tell you guys, it's fucking obvious.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • What happens if Boris dies? Less than 50% come out of Covid ICU and if he gets put on a full ventillator I think it's about a 80% mortality rate. 

Is it right that if the party agree to put forward just the one candidate that person automatically just becomes PM?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I guess so.
    Raab would be in charge for the foreseeable.
    It would be up to the party who becomes PM I assume. I can't see a leadership election happening now so either Raab or another agreed but temporary PM maybe.
  • What happens if Boris dies? Less than 50% come out of Covid ICU and if he gets put on a full ventillator I think it's about a 80% mortality rate. 

Is it right that if the party agree to put forward just the one candidate that person automatically just becomes PM?
    Queen appoints a new PM. Probably one voted in by the cabinet. Could be there is some official involvement by the opposition. Will be "interim"" PM pending a leadership election by the conservatives, I think - I don't think there will be a contest for a while.

Not sure Raab is the one. He is not convincing is he.

This is why this is very bad news for this country and you will see that reflected in the markets.
  • There’s always a Theresa May comeback...
  • That's not an awful idea to be honest.
  • Actually, it's pretty damn awful.

If you want to depress yourself, go through a list of Tory MPs by seniority. I think... GOVE IS THE BEST CHOICE.
  • *darthvadernoooooooo.gif*
  • If you want to depress yourself, go through a list of Tory MPs
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Actually, it's pretty damn awful.

If you want to depress yourself, go through a list of Tory MPs by seniority. I think... GOVE IS THE BEST CHOICE.

Gove has the bastard now.
  • Yeah, I just mentioned Raab as he is currently the leader as it stands. Although he is high on a pretty poor list.

Probably is Gove as best option sadly. I dunno, maybe Hancock but then you are appointing a new Health sec midway through a health crisis.

There is no good choice. I dont mean that in a way that I hate the Tories either. I mean there is no good choice.
  • I remember thinking how crazy it was that Cameron was prime minister, and it’s just got weirder ever since.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah, I just mentioned Raab as he is currently the leader as it stands. Although he is high on a pretty poor list.

Probably is Gove as best option sadly. I dunno, maybe Hancock but then you are appointing a new Health sec midway through a health crisis.

There is no good choice. I dont mean that in a way that I hate the Tories either. I mean there is no good choice.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fc0141e3c-37ad-11ea-9e00-2e9f417bebfa.jpg?crop=5472%2C3078%2C0%2C285&resize=1180
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Not even in jest.
  • where's priti patel?  As home sec you would think she would be all over the media
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Actually, it's pretty damn awful.

Hes self isolationing now. Next on list then...
  • where's priti patel?  As home sec you would think she would be all over the media

She was for allegedly bullying her staff.
  • I can't imagine it not being Gove if it comes down to it.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Actually, it's pretty damn awful.

Hes self isolationing now. Next on list then...

He's a skinny lad, he'll make it.
  • He is fit as a fiddle from all that running when camera crews are watching.
  • Starmer is soft. He is going to be pulled to the centre, after paying some lip service to what the membership thought they wanted. He is Trudeau, I don't know what to tell you guys, it's fucking obvious.
    I'm trying to be open-minded, but yeah, these things rarely go any other way.
  • Looks like Boris isn't going to die but that doesn't mean he'll be in any shape to carry on as PM when he's out.
  • JonB wrote:
    Starmer is soft. He is going to be pulled to the centre, after paying some lip service to what the membership thought they wanted. He is Trudeau, I don't know what to tell you guys, it's fucking obvious.
    I'm trying to be open-minded, but yeah, these things rarely go any other way.

Everyone can see that’s the risk with him. What are you going to do? Corbyn’s had two cracks at it and failed. RLB couldn’t even win an election with a Leftie selectorate.
    If he’s shit, he’s shit.
  • Looks like Boris isn't going to die but that doesn't mean he'll be in any shape to carry on as PM when he's out.
    Where are you getting that from? There’s been no update since yesterday has there?
  • monkey wrote:
    Looks like Boris isn't going to die but that doesn't mean he'll be in any shape to carry on as PM when he's out.
    Where are you getting that from? There’s been no update since yesterday has there?

They've said he's not on full ventilation, and it's those that are put on full vent within 24hrs of entering ICU that are most likely to be in real trouble. Not that it's a cert, but his odds have significantly improved. Like I say, that doesn't mean he's not going to be fucked up for a few months if he does survive.
  • Ah ok. I didn't know about the 24 hours thing.
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!