The British Politics Thread
  • In all seriousness, I can only put it down to a lot more people dont really follow Politics beyond the headlines and only get the soundbite version. Otherwise I can't understand how so many bullshit politicians get by in so many countries. 

Watching interviews and most news reports, Johnson comes across as so poor as a leader BUT he is held in high regard. Trump is the same, whatever about his policies, he comes across as so poor at his role in nearly all interviews and press conferences BUT he is held up as a hero at the rallies. Ahern in Ireland came across as an absolute chancer (a finance minister with no bank account) BUT feck it, he played well to the ordinary man so 11 years as Irish PM, second longest serving in our countries history.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They need to take a paddle to  the arse of that prick with all the houses though and kick him into touch. That was Raab's chance to show his mettle.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • My German friends can't understand it. Looking in from the outside it seems so obvious he's failing, yet when information is filtered through the British media nobody is getting the message. The same thing will be happening in Turkey, Hungary etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Criticising him is like criticising the workforce keeping things going - going in spite of apparent mismanagement in everything down to logistics getting PPE circulated.

He is no doubt benefiting from that effect greatly.

If the US manage to have an election this year it will be hard to believe if they vote that useless cunt in again. All over by Easter, eh?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You're lucky the US has made a bigger arse of everything and the international fuck-up spotlight is off you for the moment.
  • If it wasn't then perhaps those in charge might have to actually start fixing the problem.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Worst in Europe story is doing the rounds though.
  • I think the one thing in Johnson’s favour (well three) is the unprecedented nature of the problem. There must be a feeling that this is a complete disaster but everything hasn’t fallen apart yet so he must be doing something correctly. I know it’s bad but bad is part of the problem. I think also the rhetoric really digs what people love this fighting mentality that people love. Finally I think some of the manoeuvres have been good up front (govt paying 80% of wages) does sound like a good policy but how it eventually plays out (at what cost - no shops etc, rent problems) is not going to play out for a long time yet.

We are only on one half of the steps for solving this (maybe even a quarter). Until a vaccine exists realistically the whole situation must mean no gatherings outside your house forever or everyone having to accept that people dying of covid is just another thing that will kill you, like a heart attack or whatever
  • It is extremely disappointing. I think reading that they delayed expulsions to create crises is probably the grossest thing I’ve seen.

Ha I’ve seen a bit more of this and that quote I took as factual

Said by Corbyn hater:

We’re getting a panel with Tom Watson to give a soft decision to make chaos for Corbyn

Is closer to

Said by corbyn hater:

Some Corbyn ally is telling everyone we’re getting a panel together to give a soft decision to make chaos for corbyn.

That is some pretty rancid virality. (I guess it must be a given to say “if true” now regardless of your stripes).

• I dunno what the timeframe is from scaling up a vaccine from zero instances to 7 billion either. And where 65 million Brits are going to come in that queue.
  • Give it time.
    This is a middle England wet dream.
    At home, full pay, with the family, sun out, big garden to appreciate it.
    Some faux war effort and some rules to follow that are basic and barely effect them. Plus they get to tut at some rule breakers (normally poorer people with no outside space).

We are only 3 weeks into it.
    They still think they are going on that holiday booked for June or that festival in September.

They still think 80% of their money is free from the government and they wont be the ones targeted to pay it back for the next decade.

They think because their employer is getting 80% of salary from the gov that their employer can last months of this.

They still think our death toll is behind Italy/Spain, when on projectition it will end up much worse.

This is the easy bit we are in. The hardship will come later for many spouting their praises for Johnson.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I dunno what the timeframe is from scaling up a vaccine from zero instances to 7 billion either. And where 65 million Brits are going to come in that queue.

I would presume it depends on by who and where the vaccine is being manufactured.
  • Absolutely nailing it there I think Liv.

Only thing I’d add is that I think even when it does get harder, those people still won’t turn on Johnson. He’ll still be ‘their man’.
  • I would presume it depends on by who and where the vaccine is being manufactured.

Brave Boris is straight out of hospital and knocking up the first batch in his bathtub.
  • EVbIiKJXsAAeaTv?format=jpg&name=large
    EVbIEQ_XQAIufON?format=jpg&name=900x900
    EVbIa9nWAAAEefT?format=jpg&name=900x900
    Some highlights from the Telegraph's response.
  • poprock wrote:
    Absolutely nailing it there I think Liv.

Only thing I’d add is that I think even when it does get harder, those people still won’t turn on Johnson. He’ll still be ‘their man’.

It'll be the EU or the Chinese who get the blame.

SFV - reddave360
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    I would presume it depends on by who and where the vaccine is being manufactured.
    Brave Boris is straight out of hospital and knocking up

Right back into it eh?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    "The UK is leading Europe in the fight against Coronavirus". Now I really want to read that.
  • Boris gave that virus a good shoeing. So whatever juices he's got pumping round his system, this nation needs some of that. And if that means him spaffing his precious anti-body laden discharge into the open mouths of each Brit, on their knees in front of him, then this nation will be all the better for it.
  • Alison Pearson represents everything that is wrong with the UK
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I legitimately hate her and everything she stands for.
  • I feel her rise as a person who shows up is unbelievably meteoric. It’s almost as if she’s chosen to play a villain for clicks.
  • As cunty as those opinion piece titles are (and they are) I have found The Guardian to be equally as wanky recently.
  • I don't think there is anything here that equals those Telegraph ones.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I find it hard to read any paper without getting annoyed. Reminds me why I gave them up (well - that and the phone hacking scandal).
  • I don't think there is anything here that equals those Telegraph ones.
    Looks to have improved somewhat since I last looked a week or so ago.
  • Kow wrote:
    "The UK is leading Europe in the fight against Coronavirus". Now I really want to read that.

The guy who wrote this was my next door neighbour. He is an absolute cretin. I couldn't believe this was the same guy, I only realised like a month ago.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Kow wrote:
    The guy who wrote this was my next door neighbour. He is an absolute cretin. I couldn't believe this was the same guy, I only realised like a month ago.

He looks like the words "My Dad got me this job" come to life.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    EVbIiKJXsAAeaTv?format=jpg&name=large
    EVbIEQ_XQAIufON?format=jpg&name=900x900
    EVbIa9nWAAAEefT?format=jpg&name=900x900
    Some highlights from the Telegraph's response.

Good god, it's fucking delusional!
  • Kow wrote:

He looks like the words "My Dad got me this job" come to life.

Just trust me that he is an absolute thicko and a moron - not surprised he is a shrill brexity Tory "journalist". I was astounded to see his pic on twitter and put 2 and 2 together

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!