The British Politics Thread
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Fwiw I think may made it much worse when she got article 50 running before she’d even found any ducks to get into a row Johnson is a direct consequence of that hubris
    Totally 
    It’s easy to forget during this cluster fuck of a government just how shit may was as PM
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • She tried bless her, but she was utterly out of her depth. Someone who worked hard and cared, but would never have the capability, understanding, empathy, insight, raw intellect, leadership, introspection or indeed any of the desired qualities in a PM. A truly terrible choice, a political party once again making a choice based on holding on to executive power above all else. Only this time it had the most enduring consequences.
  • She only cared about her public perception, never forget as home sec May was responsible for coming up with the strategy to create the hostile environment for immigration literally saying it out loud in a speech in 2012 and I quote:

"The aim is to create, here in Britain, a really hostile environment for illegal immigrants".

She was a shit home sec, a real mean spirited cunt in that position, and she can cry all she likes when she had to resign after not controlling the ERG and getting absolutely dumpstered by their stupid games, I will give not one single solitary molecule of sympathy to her.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Her opening salvo as PM sounded quite promising as well. It got really watered down though.

Just to clarify: one has to accept with a conservative PM I don’t get what I want but for a conservative PM her ostensible focus on the JAMs and so was an important philosophy but also the ideas of workers on boards.
  • Oh fuck no, no sympathy here. She's a terrible person.
  • She only became PM to stop Leadsom, who they knew the members would vote for but is utterly incompetent.

I mean May, Leadsom, Gove, Crabb and Fox. Not exactly the brain trust is it?
  • It’s a shame we didn’t end up with Crab v Eagle at PMQs.
  • Gove is clever, imo. And competent.

It's just his ideals that are wretched.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Gove is clever, imo. And competent. It's just his ideals that are wretched.

That's like saying Herr Flick was competent versus the rest of the characters. (Francois as Smallhausen.)
  • I don't listen to this podcast regularly but this ep was pretty good. Or pretty chilling depending on how you look at it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2020/dec/14/has-labour-lost-its-red-wall-forever

TLDL - Corbyn + Labour's Brexit plan went down like a sack of cold shit. No understanding from the central party machine of what was about to happen in the Red Wall. More pertinently, Covid handling has done the Tories no harm at all. Johnson still popular. Tells it like it is (which he doesn't). Starmer equivocates too much (which he does). One interviewee even parroted the Johnson attack of him being 'Captain Hindsight', sitting on the sidelines sniping. The fallout of Brexit might change things, and there's 4 years until the next election. But a Starmer v Johnson runoff, at this stage, doesn't seem like it would go well for Labour. 

In contrast, every time I go on Twitter, which is probably another demographic altogether, I see repeated attacks on Starmer that he follows the government line too much. Labour's electoral coalition just seems like it's in tatters now. You need a leader who can take middle-class Tory votes but also speaks directly for (not to, but for, as in directly representing them) these working-class communities. And Johnson is that man at the moment. They seem to see Starmer for what he is, and Johnson for what he isn't. The Tories would be nuts to get rid of him. He can fuck up as much as he likes, kill people with his negligence, but as long as he can work out a decent angle and a snappy soundbite, he gets away with it. 

Don't know what Starmer can do really. More plain speaking and sticking his neck out a bit. Apparently he's been biding his time on articulating his 'vision' for the country. But they're going to start doing that in speeches next year if things calm down a bit. I don't know what that's going to entail but it will probably be as thrilling as the keynote speech from the CEO of a multi-national company. I don't know if you can make any real progress until you start challenging people's assumptions that they've had pounded into them. And you can't do that in Leigh, travelling up for the day from your mansion in North London. You need a proper grassroots re-invention of the party.
  • In fairness to Keith, I don't want him roving the country during a pandemic.
  • I think you are right in saying its too early to predict an election.
    We have been in bizzaro land since 2016. I very much doubt this current government's ability to hold the admiration of the public without the chaos of Brexit.

I think Starmer is aware that his term as leader of the opposition really starts next year.
  • Summary of Starmer: on LBC yesterday, a nutter called in to his guest spot and ranted about becoming a minority in her own country, praised Israel as a paragon of an ethno-nationalist state, made several clearly racist remarks. Starmer should have shut her the fuck down - "get this racist off the phone or I'm walking out" and then giving a speech about how racists are shit. Starmer did not. instead he waffled on about taking a knee being a symbol of everyone wanting greater equality mumble mumble.

There are times when equivocating, in an attempt to win sections over a highly split, hyper partisan electorate, is sensible compromise, and other times when you are revealed as the "say anything to anyone just make sure you don't offend / drive away any voters, however toxic they are, think of the red wall!" fucker you are.
  • I already know the responses I'm gong to get to the above: what else could he have done, it's sensible not to alienate the, *ahem*, "social conservatives" up north, he's gotta get dem middle class right wing fuckers etc it's so depressing
  • He couldn't have 'won' this particular year. You either go along with a madass incompetent Government or you attack them when they're dealing with a pandemic, or you sit in this uneasy halfway house. And people have got problems with any one of those. 

It does concern me if voters have seen through his fence-sitting act though, and prefer Johnson's charging around like a headless chicken instead. Because that's pretty much Starmer's style anyway. Carefully calibrated statements. Johnson's are no less calculated but they take a firm position to appeal to his voters.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I already know the responses I'm gong to get to the above: what else could he have done, it's sensible not to alienate the, *ahem*, "social conservatives" up north, he's gotta get dem middle class right wing fuckers etc it's so depressing

He could have plugged the fucking merch, that's a lost sale there.

screen_shot_2015-03-28_at_17.57.50.png?itok=opgquZGp
  • I imagine it is difficult to sit on one side of the fence or the other with Covid as the gov are all over the shop with it. Moving London to Tier 3 10 days before a 5 day national relaxation of rules for example. How do you take stance there without it being manipulated into looking like doing nothing by one group and moaning by the other?

Brexit. Best to let the Tories own it now. Labour can't stop this runaway train. Criticise the deal and its "Labour wanted no deal", support the deal and get called a hypocrite later.

Bohnson has a huge majority let him tie his own noose with it.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I imagine it is difficult to sit on one side of the fence or the other with Covid as the gov are all over the shop with it. Moving London to Tier 3 10 days before a 5 day national relaxation of rules for example. How do you take stance there without it being manipulated into looking like doing nothing by one group and moaning by the other? Brexit. Best to let the Tories own it now. Labour can't stop this runaway train. Criticise the deal and its "Labour wanted no deal", support the deal and get called a hypocrite later. Bohnson has a huge majority let him tie his own noose with it.
    This is all right but equally Starmer needs to remember the words of George W Bush.
    If you don't stand for anything, you don't stand for anything. 
  • Like I say next year will be the real test of him.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    You need a leader who can take middle-class Tory votes but also speaks directly for (not to, but for, as in directly representing them) these working-class communities.

Them pesky proles! We've moved past Blairism to an era where you have to set out your stall, rather than clinging to our historical split where most middle-class people vote and many working-class don't. Brexit has shown us how rarely the twain.

Keith's triangulation treats our voterbase as static, when he could afford to lose plenty in the middle if he appealed to the poorer masses (hello). But I think he'll lose his election and Clegg his way into a corpo shitshow after.

Win our working-class voters and you win an election; those are the numbers. Johnson was the wrong man, but his tactics were strong.
  • It really is a shit show by the tories. UNICEF is having to help feed UK children. I mean wtf?!?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-for-the-first-time-in-its-history-unicef-will-help-feed-kids-in-the-uk-12163515

UNICEF says it is the first time in its 70-year history that it has responded to a UK "domestic emergency".
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Well if children can't figure out how to feed themselves I'm not sure it's the government's place to step in. What sort of message does that send? Next people will be expecting the government to protect them from crime and provide sufficiently funded education.
  • That's gonna be a "fuck tory scum" from me, dawg.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    That's gonna be a "fuck tory scum" from me, dawg.

Should be your sig really at this point.

Dinostar77 wrote:
    It really is a shit show by the tories. UNICEF is having to help feed UK children. I mean wtf?!?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-for-the-first-time-in-its-history-unicef-will-help-feed-kids-in-the-uk-12163515

UNICEF says it is the first time in its 70-year history that it has responded to a UK "domestic emergency".

Its amazing to think this isn't hurting BJ more. A quick look at the twitter shit hole and yes, plenty of people willing to pile on marcus Rushford instead for making a shout out for charities.

Yes... for charity work.

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1338490087433236480?s=19
    SFV - reddave360
  • Oh yeah, good idea! Done.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    That's gonna be a "fuck tory scum" from me, dawg.

Should be your sig really at this point.

Dinostar77 wrote:
    It really is a shit show by the tories. UNICEF is having to help feed UK children. I mean wtf?!?

Its amazing to think this isn't hurting BJ more. A quick look at the twitter shit hole and yes, plenty of people willing to pile on marcus Rushford instead for making a shout out for charities.

Yes... for charity work.

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1338490087433236480?s=19

Football fans on social media can be kind of dim.
  • Can't wait for the Tories to start building more affordable houses across the country and forcing local councils into a zoning system to kickstart development in previously negelcted areas. Wait a second. 
    The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated and magnified patterns that already existed, creating a generational opportunity for the repurposing of offices and retail as housing and for urban renewal.
    https://www.localgov.co.uk/Jenrick-announces-revised-plan-for-housing-algorithum/51583

Got to let those city centre landlords make bank somehow. 
    Mr Jenrick also announced that the Government is allocating more than £67m in funding to the West Midlands and Greater Manchester Mayoral Combined Authorities to help them deliver new homes on brownfield land.
    He also said that in January the Government plans to launch a new £100m Brownfield Land Release fund to support brownfield development, estates regeneration, development on public sector land and self- and custom-build serviced plots in coming forward.
    BigSpender-500x500.jpg
  • Westminster voting intention:

CON: 39% (-)
    LAB: 38% (+2)
    LDEM: 8% (-1)
    GRN: 4% (-1)

via 
    @Survation
    , 22 Dec
    Chgs. w/ 10 Dec

What the fuck is wrong with people?
  • Think of it as ground gained by Lab/lost by Con in a year.

A year on from an absolutel landslide they are level pegging.
    Minds take time to change.

Interesting how anonymous Libs are now. I couldn't name their leader.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!