PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    I have ordered RB4 (geetar and game) which is a mere 55pounds for me from Amazon UK, shipping adds a bit more.
    How are you getting it for 55?
    No VAT etc.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I have now played this and I'm shit.

It will take little getting used to I think. Funnily enough I thought it would be easy with the buttons so close, but my head can't deal with the up and buttons yet, after playing the others for years. Not that I was any good on them either.

Loved the FMV band parts, especially the gigs you do in career mode ( or whatever it's called) . I really liked the folky one and all songs are lip synced perfectly in all the gigs.

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Still great for £40 , just need to practice
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Luke Bryan is much to my shame a new guilty pleasure.

Is that Play it Again by any chance?

I might look into it sometime in the future, as I've just dropped £150 on audio equipment. I think If I were gonna get one of the two right now it would be Rock Band.
  • It's a song about taking some girl for a Catfish dinner. It's brilliant.

@kerno
    Play it again asap. All of a sudden it will click and you will realise you just did some cool section without actually thinking about it and grin like an idiot. But if you leave it for a week or so you'll be like all nnnnnnngggg. 

I enjoy trying to get the hippies as angry as possible.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not sure this is the right thread - was there a Beatmania / rhythm game thread?

Anyhow...this looks obscene given it's claimed that this isn't necessarily learning by rote.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Only problem with my rock band 4 order is that it's shipping in FUCKING MARCH
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • davyK wrote:
    Not sure this is the right thread - was there a Beatmania / rhythm game thread? Anyhow...this looks obscene given it's claimed that this isn't necessarily learning by rote.

I used to have the BM/Bemani thread on oldrum, aye.

Yeah most if not all playing of these kind of JP, vert-scrolling games play with random on, that is, the chart is randomised to an extent. E.g. a single note will always be a single note, but can appear in any lane. A 3-note chord will always be a 3-note chord, but can be any combination of 3 keys.

So with random on it's always the same number of notes, and a 'chordy' section will always be chordy, etc, but it jumbles up and randomises which chords they are. It can make some songs easier, some harder etc. It's fantastic for getting better and once you have a good idea so you don't need to think about what keys to press, it makes things much more fun as basically every time you play is different - the rhythm is the same but you have to essentially sigh-read it on the fly every time.

The only time most players will play without random is when the default chart is especially cuntish, or has a particularly difficult section they want to show off they can clear full combo etc.

Most of the biggest sick-heads I know are the Korean and JP BMS players (Be-music simulator, or Beatmania simulator).

Some BMS for you - first with random, so yeah reacting on the fly:

And now a cunt track without random because yeah fuck this shit from 1.24 - the guy here is pretty much the best in the world, Korean chap, and he's having to do it on Easy difficulty (meter drops slower). it's a madness:

Both those guys play on PC keyboard. Mental.

You can ofc play regular beatmania iidx which isn't as mental as BMS but still hits close:

Got to have me a go on one of them machines one day.

Sorry I get carried away talking BM :)
  • @Davy if you ever fancied a go there's an inferior free clone called OsuMania! that you can download here - https://osu.ppy.sh/p/download

It's only inferior 'cause I'm a snob (well, and the scoring is very easy compared to the above games), it has a pretty active community, albeit anime nerds for the most part (kinda goes with the territory I'm afraid), very customizable and thousands of free songs. Can play anything from 3 - 8 key I believe.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Maybe not the right place but...er, I saw this and thought of you Gav x

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Thanks bbz x

You should check out Get Lucky, by Daft Punk. Sound of the summer.
  • Apparently Youtube took down his 100% Bark at the Moon vid cos of the audio, so he redid it.
    Auto-detected subtitles and the solo make it.

• Wtf that sounds so funny
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    RB4 arrives tomorrow, hype.
  • Gotta say after playing both, Guitar Hero is the way better game. RB4 is more of the same but you can use your instruments, that's it's saving grace.

Feel sorry for Freestyle games, the whole package is great. But it's Activision
  • I looked up the Guitar Hero track list and it looks awful. Vast majority are from this century. Not for me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    That's why I've gone RB.  Dependable, it was always the better game v GH (though can't speak for the current iteration) and the back catalogue is far better.  I just like playing the songs I like and the majority of the GH list is dreck.
  • Kerno knows it. Tho song choice is all down to personal preference.

The new guitar also adds so much to the game.
    I watched that RB video above and yawned.
  • That's Guitar Hero.

Reeling over GHL getting Ghost DLC though. Anyway, RB4 is tops skrat. Enjoy.
  • Skerret wrote:
    it was always the better game v GH

I know it's your opinion and everything, but it's the wrong one and I don't mind telling you so.

GHII and III were the pinnacle.

RB is the pinnacle for large groups, I'll give you that.

I guess it's down to whether you play for song choice or gameplay. I favour the latter. Having songs that I enjoy is ofc excellent, but it doesn't trump the feels I get from hitting the buttons and seeing a number go up. This is why I enjoy JP rhythm games despite ~80% of the music being of questionable quality.
  • The rise of the GH warriors
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It's not a choice, it's both and gameplay is vitally important.  Gameplay and a solid set of mechanics is largely why I play anything.  I like to think I know a thing or two about games and I wouldn't be spending much time with games I thought were inferior.  Mechanically, I think RB is superior.  Harmonix developed that style of game and they understood it more acutely than Neversoft et al.  I played RB 1 2 and 3, played GH 1 and 2 and World Tour and with no particular allegiance prior to that, determined that RB is appreciably better (once Harmonix palmed off GH).  GH gameplay quality took a hit when Activision took over and no amount of gimmicks could hide the fact that Harmonix do it better.  A cursory glance across a few discussions and reviews supports this.  Even Activision CEO Kotick lamented the discarding of Harmonix.
  • I would say the reviews for GH Live and RB4 are in favour of GH, but of course personal taste counts more than anything
  • Skerret wrote:
    It's not a choice, it's both and gameplay is vitally important.  Gameplay and a solid set of mechanics is largely why I play anything.  I like to think I know a thing or two about games and I wouldn't be spending much time with games I thought were inferior.  Mechanically, I think RB is superior.  Harmonix developed that style of game and they understood it more acutely than Neversoft et al.  I played RB 1 2 and 3, played GH 1 and 2 and World Tour and with no particular allegiance prior to that, determined that RB is appreciably better (once Harmonix palmed off GH).  GH gameplay quality took a hit when Activision took over and no amount of gimmicks could hide the fact that Harmonix do it better.  A cursory glance across a few discussions and reviews supports this.  Even Activision CEO Kotick lamented the discarding of Harmonix.

You say gimmicks but have you played Live?
  • Funny that I ALWAYS enjoyed the more 'gamey' aspect to GH's note placement over RB's slavish adherence to the songs parts, RB would quite often find you doing nothing for bits of the song, usually the bits that might be a keyboard section that you would tap along to if listening to the song on the radio for instance, this for me was kind of frustrating because I'm not a musician, I just wanted to play the 'song' and not necessarily the instrument.
    The bits that to me are iconic parts of the song, they might be keyboard bits or string bits.

Whereas there was on GH tutorial where it showed you what the notes looked like on a section where there was no guitar part (you didnt have to strum to hit these notes). The tutorial said "Dont overthink it just play the section and go with the flow' or words to that effect.

Apart from that they are pretty much identical.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    You say gimmicks but have you played Live?
    No, I said I hadn't played Live earlier and I was referring to GH:WT.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yeah they're all fine really, preference innit.  I like slavish adherence :(
  • nick_md wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    it was always the better game v GH
    I know it's your opinion and everything, but it's the wrong one and I don't mind telling you so. GHII and III were the pinnacle. RB is the pinnacle for large groups, I'll give you that. I guess it's down to whether you play for song choice or gameplay. I favour the latter. Having songs that I enjoy is ofc excellent, but it doesn't trump the feels I get from hitting the buttons and seeing a number go up. This is why I enjoy JP rhythm games despite ~80% of the music being of questionable quality.

You're also thinking about it from the point of view of just guitar. Vocals and drums were miles better on Rock Band.
  • It's not a choice, it's both and gameplay is vitally important.  Gameplay and a solid set of mechanics is largely why I play anything.  I like to think I know a thing or two about games and I wouldn't be spending much time with games I thought were inferior.  Mechanically, I think RB is superior.  Harmonix developed that style of game and they understood it more acutely than Neversoft et al.  I played RB 1 2 and 3, played GH 1 and 2 and World Tour and with no particular allegiance prior to that, determined that RB is appreciably better (once Harmonix palmed off GH).  GH gameplay quality took a hit when Activision took over and no amount of gimmicks could hide the fact that Harmonix do it better.  A cursory glance across a few discussions and reviews supports this.  Even Activision CEO Kotick lamented the discarding of Harmonix.

It's wank to argue about games, and even more so ones involving plastic instruments, but I'm going to anyway for the shits etc :)

I could care less* what discussions and reviews say, I'm talking about my own opinion, which I hold in the highest regard.

I should clarify that I'm not calling RB a bad game, it's good. I’ve nothing against Harmonix, they made GHII which I love. The reaction against Neversoft, at the time, just stank of misplaced allegiance. RB is a fine game, but GHIII just had more adrenaline for me. The challenge was greater, the skill ceiling increased.

I didn’t play any of the GH games after III so unsure what gimmicks are being referred to.

Harmonix didn't really develop that style of game, if my understanding of the term is correct, they developed it further, arguably, from the initial design of guitar+falling rising blocks that Konami pioneered with Guitar Freaks.

I also know a thing or two about games.

@Dante - you’re correct, it’s why I said for large groups / a party RB is the choice.

*bait
  • It's not just groups though. I've done both drums and vocals on my own, and done both at the same time.

I personally didn't really like 3 in comparison to 2. Not that it's bad, I just didn't think it was as good. And the full band games never got close to Rock Band.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!