Plastic Instruments
  • In fairness I think the old games are fairly cheap, but they lack features and are hard to play. The most recent few are the ones that are expensive, and only the last one is hundreds as it was a double disc with disc 2 a best of from the series, as a farewell.

Now I can't find my PS2, which has the disc in :/

Hope it's at work.
  • Just got another AAA, that's two this week, when I think I've had 5 or 6 ever in my life before.
  • Inspired by Davy's cam job in the shmup thread, I thought I'd take a few vids of my progress on bms/iidx/7key today, so here you go.

I think these are all insane level 0, so roughly hard-10/level 11/easy-12 on the iidx scale (difficulty rating on bms is muddy, because the charters rate it themselves, then the community rate it again, but most of these are from the satellite 0 pack, which is insane level 0).

I didn't play much last week at all except some at work on laptop keyboard, so was a bit rusty, these aren't my best or anything.

Also, I didn't realise I do that thing with my right hand where it flicks out far at times... odd.

Also also, my scratching sucks atm, and long notes (where you have to hold them, as seen in 'Sunny') I've never been great at because they were added to the game after I stopped playing for a while, so they're still pretty new to me, and it's more of a head-fuck than you'd think, to keep hold of a key whilst you're pressing others.

These are all on Lunatic Rave 2 client using a Konami J-Koc controller with cardboard-mod (love my Jkoc).

If anyone's interested, everything you see in these vids is free to download, aside from the controller, and even then some of the best in the world play on keyboard; happy to link people up if they like.

https://youtu.be/AJ13wJP2fGM

https://youtu.be/JlooHpBcbks

https://youtu.be/B01OzlG_qKM

https://youtu.be/T_c8TB9ad8w

https://youtu.be/6FD6E2Pc784
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Konami J-Koc

This has to be my Eastern cousin surely
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Heh, Konami official controller is the acronym but Asian cocko works for me.
  • J being the Japanese version, because there's a US one too, a US-Koc
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Fuck him he's fat and arrogant
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can't imagine doing that with a keyboard - but I suppose that's how you start to see if you get into it enough to justify a controller.

Can you fail a tune? Will the game bomb you out if you keep missing?

Where you are eyes focussing on the screen? You don't seem to have much time to react.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm playing normal gauge there so you can't bomb out, you just need to finish with your gauge 80% or higher (the meter at the bottom, the red portion at the right end of the meter is 80%+). That does mean ofc that you can not miss a single note, then fuck the end and drop below 80% and fail, or fuck up on the whole song but nail the end to bring your meter to 80% and pass (e.g. on The Lost Dedicated vid above I just scrape back into 80% at the end).

There are other gauges, hard gauge means you bomb out the song if it hits 0% and also you lose more gauge for misses and gain gauge slower, then EX-hard, which is the same but moreso (I think you lose 20% gauge for a miss), plus there's no miss gauge (bomb out if you miss a note) and perfect attack (bomb out if you don't hit every note with a flashing great timing). Btw there are 4 timing windows I think, bad(miss), poor(hit but shite), good, normal great, flashing great(perfect).

I think I stare around at the top o the flashing great text/number. Peripheral vision and muscle memory takes over. All of those vids are random mode btw so sight reading the pattern pretty much.
  • The game starts off super simple btw, like single notes coming down sparsely, it's not as intimidating as it seems.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    May well check it out.
  • I can Google drive you the client plus starter pack songs if you ever need.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cheers - I found the links for the software - the song packs are probably harder to find.

I'll PM you when I get the time.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message

FUSER
    Maybe because ama little toasted on a Friday night but this popped into my Ytube and it's grabbed my interest despite the cheesy trailers.

Harmonix community manager having some fun with their forthcoming DJ game. Seems made for the Switch but it's coming to all platforms.

Scrub to around 3:40 for the m&p...

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yeah it's defo on my radar. Harmonix got dat sweet secret sauce. Even loved that iPod classic game they did.
  • Nice for casuals I guess lol iidx bms for life don't @ me scrubs h8rs gna h8.

"Gonna use my bumpers to extend it, drag it into my mix" right.

I'm on my own here for sure. It's like a different genre.
  • I'm a twat, I know.
  • Was also drinking, clearly. Always nice to see a new music game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Why I love the arcade.....and miss it so much.

• Apologies for the thread dredge…

Currently clearing out the loft and have got a ludicrously unused PS3 Beatles Rockband Value Edition (and I think a version of Guitar Hero’s in there too) boxed up that I’m realistically never actually going to get any more use out of.

Any Badgers in and around the Dartford area fancy taking it off my hands and out of the house? Can get some photos sorted if so.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I want it where is Dartford
  • Kent (just), it’s by that tunnel and bridge you hear on the traffic reports every day…17 miles east of Charing Cross / middle of London, on the M25.

(Pub bore fact: Technically it’s not on the M25 but it looks like it on the maps)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yes I cannot make it there my pary.
  • I may be interested, I'm Plumstead so not too far. A beer and exchange perhaps?
  • I'm after guitar hero world tour for the Xbox 360. I don't suppose anybody's got any plastic tat lying around they want to get rid of? My son wants it for his birthday.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!