adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I don't know why it says copy to the desktop specifically on Windows. I would try saving it to an actual folder instead - might be why it was throwing a fit.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    That's an idea.

I'm reformatting the new SD card again, and I'll have another go at copying things.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Maybe your SD card is "borked" after all.

Actually, thinking about it, most of the issues so far have been getting the data off the old card. It might be that the new card is fine, but copying the old data in bits and pieces is what's throwing off the Switch with the new card.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I don't know why it says copy to the desktop specifically on Windows. I would try saving it to an actual folder instead - might be why it was throwing a fit.

The desktop is just a folder, there's nothing special about it.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    Maybe your SD card is "borked" after all.

Actually, thinking about it, most of the issues so far have been getting the data off the old card. It might be that the new card is fine, but copying the old data in bits and pieces is what's throwing off the Switch with the new card.

Yeah, it was the old card I was intending to suggest might be broken.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah.
  • At the of the day, it's only game data on there which can be downloaded again anyway; all the saves live on the internal storage.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    True, but if the new card doesn't show up, then I can't download anything to it.

I tried reformatting the new card again, copied the data to it, and the Switch still doesn't see it. So I've deleted the Nintendo folder off the Mac and am attempting to copy the old card again. I had similar trouble when I bought my New 2DS XL, it took several attempts and many swears to get my data off my OG 3DS.
  • If the new card isn't showing up, that really sounds like there's something wrong with it or the Switch. It should either just work or ask if you want to format it when you put it in.
  • Oh, I suppose the incorrectly copied data could be messing it up. Might want to try formatting it in a computer and putting it in the Switch.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Might want to try formatting it in a computer and putting it in the Switch.

I'm formatting it on my Windows 10 laptop using the SD Card Formatter Tool recommended in the Nintendo instructions. I wonder if that's to blame, as the Nintendo site says to select "Full (Overwrite)" but no such option exists when using the tool itself.
  • Is that the one that's built into Windows? There's nothing special about the formatting. I'm pretty sure the Switch will redo it if it's wrong anyway.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I did the same thing a couple weeks ago, and from 32GB to 128. No problems at all.

I also used the format program Nintendo suggested, "full overwrite" is called slightly different now. You need the option that will take a long time.
  • Me too, 64 to 128. I put the new one in the Switch first, hoping it'd format it (or make it compatible, if that's not what format means), then copied the old one to my laptop before dragging/dropping them onto the new card. Took a while but it all worked.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Me too, 64 to 128. I put the new one in the Switch first, hoping it'd format it (or make it compatible, if that's not what format means), then copied the old one to my laptop before dragging/dropping them onto the new card. Took a while but it all worked.

I did exactly this and it worked a treat. Simple and quick
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    OK, having one more go at formatting the new SD card. I checked Nintendo's list of supported models, and it should be compatible.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Is that the one that's built into Windows?

No, at least not on my machine. The Nintendo website directs you to the official SD card standards website.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    OK, progress of a sorts. If I format the new card, then insert it into the Switch, it sees a new empty card. Winning. So something about copying the data onto the new card is fucking things up. I'm going to try dragging and dropping the data on the old card directly onto the new card, rather than copy-pasting onto the desktop first.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Nope. I get the same error, which is 0x80004005. Searching for this shows that people usually get it when installing an app or using virtual machines.

FML, etc.
  • You could’ve re-downloaded your library by now.
  • That's what I was thinking.
  • I didn't even bother trying to copy it when I replaced my SD card, it seemed like more effort.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    So what would I loose, just redownloading? My screenshots?
  • Yeah, and only if you've told it to save them to the SD. I think you could copy them back to the system before upgrading, if you did. You could certainly just copy them off the old card to your computer.
  • You can’t copy screenshots over anyway. They’re unreadable from the new card. Just copy the images off, onto your computer.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    There's an option in the Switch's settings to move your screenshots from the SD card to the system memory. So I did that, put the new card in, and started downloading some games. Hopefully everything works OK when they've finished.
  • 18 Octo Expansion stages done. Turns out the thangs aren't guarded by bosses, which is a shame as they were so good in the main game, but it's excellent nonetheless.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    @ Blue Swirl - Its a Mac thing.

I don't know what the work-around is because I never cared to look (being a PC user), but i've seen plenty of people have the same issue.

Get digging.
  • Did everyone else already know the Switch cartridges taste horrible? I only just found out and it's blown my mind.
  • So does the kick stand on the back of the tablet. Meant to deter toddlers, not adults.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!