Nintendo Switch
  • I’m quite looking forward to trying final fantasy 8. While 7 is the iconic one I feel like I know the aspects of that too well through osmosis and it just feels unattractive. I feel like it’s going to be a cleaner job to try ff8.

You not tried FF8 before?
  • I've been playing the FF7 HD Remaster the past couple of days.
    Just got out of Midgar and gone through Cloud's story telling bit.

The cheat things they have put in make it much, much more palatable these days.
    There are 3 "cheats".
    3x speed, speeds up the whole game by 3x and is really useful for speeding up grunt encounters.
    Block random battles, not used this too much, only really just on the world map, the risk is I dont level enough but it is good for just getting somewhere liek a save point.
    Restore Health, Time and Limit. The full on cheat, used this once to farm money for the Chocobo Lure.

Basically they all cut out the bullshit.

I will definitely pick up the FF8 HD Remaster once done with this and it is released.
  • I bought a Playstation specifically to play FFVII at launch and though it was one of the best things in the world at the time.  I've gone off the genre so much I think Skies of Arcadia is the only JRPG I've played since (and I didn't finish that).  My tastes have definitely changed over the years, I couldn't play VII again now even with the bullshit trimmed.  I used to go mad for 1 on 1 fighters too.
  • I'm not a huge fan of the genre. I think they too often take liberties with people's time.
    Western games are getting hit hard by gamers at the moment for grinding, mainly because it is linked to microtransactions tbf, but JRPGS have been taking the piss for decades now.

I can't stand the anime tropes a ot of them lean on as well. Lollitas and people going "Waahhh, HUgh, HHnnnng, NO WAYYYY" constantly
  • FFVIII also has a built in cheat nice called Triple Triad and Junctioning
  • I’m quite looking forward to trying final fantasy 8. While 7 is the iconic one I feel like I know the aspects of that too well through osmosis and it just feels unattractive. I feel like it’s going to be a cleaner job to try ff8.

All the final fantasies (except perhaps 6 and the ten mins played on pc of 8) are new to me!
  • Do yourself a favour and play XII
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I bought a Playstation specifically to play FFVII at launch and though it was one of the best things in the world at the time.  I've gone off the genre so much I think Skies of Arcadia is the only JRPG I've played since (and I didn't finish that).  My tastes have definitely changed over the years, I couldn't play VII again now even with the bullshit trimmed.  I used to go mad for 1 on 1 fighters too.

I didnt buy a PS1 for FFVII (I bought it for Tekken 2 and Disruptor) but I am one of those for whom FFVII was their first RPG unless you count an hour with Dragon Crystal on Gamegear.

Since then Ive played the following, from memory:

FFVIII (got to disc 3 in a weekend rental; hated it because of the rushed nature).
    FFIX - got to Garland. Rage quit.
    FFX - got to Jecht. Rage quit.
    Skies of Arcadia - Played an hour.
    Grandia 2 - played an hour.

I think I quit the genre until ~2009 when Chrono Trigger finally got an Australian release on DS. Finished that and have played a handful since, but only Bravely Default have I finished. Otherwise I tend towards SRPGs like Fire Emblem but really only Fire Emblem and Im worn out on that (increase in really infantilised characters and fan service for saddos can GAGF - just stick to strategy).

I have a desire to play two alternatives at the moment.

DQXI, and Tactics Ogre on Vita (PSP version).
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I found the speed up really great in FFXII, brought a basic playthrough down to a nice 40 hours.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
    All the final fantasies (except perhaps 6 and the ten mins played on pc of 8) are new to me!
    Tempy wrote:
    FFVIII also has a built in cheat nice called Triple Triad and Junctioning

Yup, FFVIII is one of the few games where I love level scaling on enemies, purely because of the junction system and how much it pushes you to understand the underlying mechanics. You can't grind FFVIII, even if you want to. As you level up, the game gets harder. So, it forces you to be smarter. 

My last play through I finished the game in the low teens and beat every high difficulty enemy in the game. I also avoided nearly all combat and 99% of my team buffing activities were related to card collection!

Mechanically, it's probably the single most interesting FF game, outside of XII. I know not everyone likes the story, especially the final act, but there's so much good stuff there. Super excited for the remaster.
  • Thinking of picking up another switch for more Zelda with the wife. Still not much I want to play on it otherwise but there’s a few bits. Any indication as to Wind Walker or other Zelda’s appearing soon? Much else of the more recent Back catalogue like Luigi’s Mansion etc? And if anyone see’s any awesome deals let me know. Missed one on eBay that went for £150 last night...
  • I loved Shining the Holy Ark on Saturn, which probably help lather me up into an RPG frenzy for FFVII in 1997. 

I've played a few SRPGS since - Fire Emblem Awakening and all the Fates, for example, it's the standard turn based battle stuff I've ditched for some reason.  Probably because they're all narrative heavy and I find their stories dull, whereas I can easily skip all the text in Fire Emblem and just play for the grid stuff.
  • Honestly, the story in Donut County is more nuanced than that in FE Fates.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • It's more nuanced in most games - Gears of War 2, for example.  I made it through all three thanks to the battle system but the dialogue was atrocious.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Thinking of picking up another switch for more Zelda with the wife. Still not much I want to play on it otherwise but there’s a few bits. Any indication as to Wind Walker or other Zelda’s appearing soon? Much else of the more recent Back catalogue like Luigi’s Mansion etc? And if anyone see’s any awesome deals let me know. Missed one on eBay that went for £150 last night...

There's a Link's Awakening remake in September. New Luigi's Mansion (3) coming before Xmas.

I'd be surprised if anyone can say genuinely that there's not much they want to play on the Switch. There's almost too many games on there.
  • It pains me to double dip but I did it for Broforce a few weeks ago.  Never got round to it on PS+ and it's the perfect fit for Switch, as they say. I assume it's better in mp but it's absolutely fine solo.  Devolver love.
  • A blessed day. Picked this up for €20 from Argos

48079320537_36da389d40_c.jpg
  • Frosty wrote:
    A blessed day. Picked this up for €20 from Argos

I always check that on the Argos site as it’s £16.99 here as well.

It’s always sold out...
  • I only want it with the drum though.
  • Frosty wrote:
    A blessed day. Picked this up for €20 from Argos
    I always check that on the Argos site as it’s £16.99 here as well. It’s always sold out...

Yeah it's a great system. Advertise this really cheap deal but it's only one copy, in one store, in the arse end of nowhere (Swords) and don't offer any sort of home delivery or even some kind of store transfer. Oh and you can't search each store at once to see if they have stock, you have to go through each individually.

Luckily one of my coworkers lives near the Argos that had a copy so he was very kindly able to pick it up for me.
  • Can you stack Nintendo online ? Tempted to get Mario Maker with the online code limited edition
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • ...I'm just gonna go through what I like about DQXI...

Woah. I kinda feel obliged to get it after the effort you put into that post!

I like the notion of getting into as many or as few fights as I like. One of the things that caused me to grow weary of FFVII was the random battles. You’re escaping somewhere in a hurry and *whoosh* you get stopped by these *whoosh* random ba*whoosh*ttles *whoosh* several times in each scree*whoosh*n.

To be honest the cutesy aesthetic of the DQ jelly/drip thing has put me off, but that tends to be an issue of things looking incongruous, and if every enemy (or even most enemies) are cutesy, I might be fine with it. My tolerance / enjoyment of cuteness in videogames is increasing with age; 15 years ago I would never have imagined myself playing Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, let alone rating it so highly, or picking Mario Aces over a more realistically presented tennis game.

One of the main reasons I bounced off of XC2 is that I played for hours and hours and felt like it was never giving me the chance to learn the systems or see exactly how they worked before it jumped onto the next thing. It was trying to teach me the combo of the buff of the tweak of the advanced technique before I fully understood how to do a simple attack. It also seemed like trying to grind one system was actually moving me backwards rather than making progress.
  • Andy wrote:
    ...I'm just gonna go through what I like about DQXI...

Woah. I kinda feel obliged to get it after the effort you put into that post!

I like the notion of getting into as many or as few fights as I like. One of the things that caused me to grow weary of FFVII was the random battles. You’re escaping somewhere in a hurry and *whoosh* you get stopped by these *whoosh* random ba*whoosh*ttles *whoosh* several times in each scree*whoosh*n.

To be honest the cutesy aesthetic of the DQ jelly/drip thing has put me off, but that tends to be an issue of things looking incongruous, and if every enemy (or even most enemies) are cutesy, I might be fine with it. My tolerance / enjoyment of cuteness in videogames is increasing with age; 15 years ago I would never have imagined myself playing Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, let alone rating it so highly, or picking Mario Aces over a more realistically presented tennis game.

One of the main reasons I bounced off of XC2 is that I played for hours and hours and felt like it was never giving me the chance to learn the systems or see exactly how they worked before it jumped onto the next thing. It was trying to teach me the combo of the buff of the tweak of the advanced technique before I fully understood how to do a simple attack. It also seemed like trying to grind one system was actually moving me backwards rather than making progress.

Re: length. I cut a lot. But I wrote that for you because I love you.

As for the *whoosh* - yup, I have the same problem with a lot of jrpgs. I want to run around and explore. And random battles take me out of that. There’s none of that in DQXI.

It is very cutesy. Like you my tolerance has grown with age but yeah...everything is twee, or cute, or slapstick. So, if you think that might put you off, maybe wait.

With relation to battle system - I also ditched XC2 for the same reason. It’s a single player MMO and that can work (hello FFXII) but XC2 is a mess of menus and impenetrable terminology for me. DQXI is incredibly simple by comparison. Turn based combat, easy to understand skill point upgrades, a non-grindy crafting system...that’s it. It’s the exact opposite of XC2, for better or worse.
  • But seriously, there’s no obligation to try it. I love it. Most people don’t. It’s marmite.
  • Remember The Last Guardian.
  • Remember The Last Guardian.

Yeah but that was because some people ended up with dodgy copies. I got lucky with a good (digital) copy.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I got the steelbook but the fucker still refused to listen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!