Nintendo Switch
  • Anyone who’s getting Links Awakening SDX do you want it to be similar to original LA or completely bonkers in the same way the original was?
    I can’t work this question out.

But it needs to avoid the sterility they introduced in Link Between Worlds. Hoot Indeed.
  • I think Crayon is saying the DX edition (which this is an update of) was bonkers, whereas o.g Link's Awakening was less weird.  Not played either so I had to look up DX earlier.
  • Ignore that, this one isn't called SDX.
  • Also I don’t think the demo actually carries the save over... I downloaded last night so will try and give it a go. Really looking forward to the main game release, hope they have slightly balanced the combat though as I have heard a lot of people refer to it as a bit mindless. Although over 80+ hours maybe that’s not such a bad thing.
    There's various options at the beginning to increase the difficulty in specific ways. Not that it's much good when you're new to the game and have no idea how easy it will be, but in hindsight definitely could've improved the experience.
  • Sorry I was trying to be cute. This is the second (or switch) update to a game which was updated once. In a normal world this would be Links Awakening DX but we’ve already had one of those so this, in my mind, is Switch DX.

My point was one of the things that makes Gameboy Links Awakening is it’s inherent weirdness- the tone, the cross over Nintendo/Hal stuff, the mystery, the wobbly things that talk about N64 when you put dust on them etc.

This game seems like it gets a lot of love based on its authentic representation of the original gameboy game. So in a sense you have a sort of paradox: This game exists by being extremely similar to a Zelda game (LA) but only exists because the original was loved because it was different to a Zelda game.

When you approach a game like this is there delight repeating something but in a sense the only reason you are performing the act of repeating is because the original was unique and special?

In the new Final Fantasy 7 remake what people remember and love of that game must be in part down to a particular intense feeling based on a specific moment, but you can’t get that moment again if you know it’s gonna happen the same way (eg do you put exp or great consumables on that character?!!!)
  • I’d forgotten about DX. Weird was great in LA (didn’t play dx), very different tone.

I predict the new one won’t be weird, sterility and all that.
  • JonB wrote:
    Also I don’t think the demo actually carries the save over... I downloaded last night so will try and give it a go. Really looking forward to the main game release, hope they have slightly balanced the combat though as I have heard a lot of people refer to it as a bit mindless. Although over 80+ hours maybe that’s not such a bad thing.
    There's various options at the beginning to increase the difficulty in specific ways. Not that it's much good when you're new to the game and have no idea how easy it will be, but in hindsight definitely could've improved the experience.

What’s the 2d mode like? Was interested in the PC version but it has denuvo. Then the switch version with 2d appeared, which is more my thing.
  • I don't know. The PS4 version didn't have it.
  • I didn't get any issues with the difficulty - I know some people said it was too easy, but it was ok for me. I did zero grinding, and abused the run button through dungeons. I also mainly did side fights for side quests but, again, didn't seek extra fights out. Basically, if i could avoid a fight, I did. It meant I reached bosses somewhat under levelled, and they were actually pretty tricky, especially later in the game.

Had to grind a bit for post-game and the platinum but that was many, many hours in.
  • I can never just run past all the monsters. I'm so conditioned by regular random battles in JRPGs that I impose them on myself even when I don't have to, like some kind of digital manifestation of Foucauldian biopower.
  • I think the demo is circa 5gb, but the game pre-load is the 15gb.

Managed to get the demo, despite Turkish internets. It’s very impressive.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    I’d forgotten about DX. Weird was great in LA (didn’t play dx), very different tone. I predict the new one won’t be weird, sterility and all that.

I only played LA and assumed DX was just a GBC remake.

I take it there's a lot more to it?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I thought all they added was the colour dungeon? LA was plenty weird - Mario references, Twin Peaks feel to the town, weird phone calls, cameos from Kirby as well. the whole tone of the plot is fairly sinister too.
  • LA DX was the Gameboy Color update with colour and Gameboy Printer support but not really any different to the original. I played a 15 minute demo of the Switch version a few weeks back at Hyper Japan (poor man's Reg in Japan simulator). The story, characters, dialogue, location of items and buildings all seemed to be the same as the original with only the graphics being the major difference. I wasn't sure about the tilt-shift lens effect they've used, it makes the top and bottom of the screen out of focus. The scrolling between locations rather than moving between screens might take a bit of getting used to as well.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Tempy wrote:
    I thought all they added was the colour dungeon? LA was plenty weird - Mario references, Twin Peaks feel to the town, weird phone calls, cameos from Kirby as well. the whole tone of the plot is fairly sinister too.

The sinisterness is pretty cool. I remember being disappointed with how
    Spoiler:
    though. It gets close to the heart of my point - my heart raced to find out stuff but now I can drink it in (I think) with no tension which misses the point of it.

The printer support in Gbc DX was akin to an achievement system where doing certain actions (like robbing the shop) caused a photographer to show up.
  • I think it’s a bit like switching skins on Mario maker. For some reason I think they made DQ11 on 3ds and the 2d mode was this game on there.

It’s also worth remembering that DQ11 was announced for switch before we had any real idea about the switch (was it NX?) so there was debate about what the switch could handle fidelitywise and so this double version feels like a relic of that.
  • AFAIK the DX version added an extra dungeon and colours to the game.
  • I think it’s a bit like switching skins on Mario maker. For some reason I think they made DQ11 on 3ds and the 2d mode was this game on there.

It’s also worth remembering that DQ11 was announced for switch before we had any real idea about the switch (was it NX?) so there was debate about what the switch could handle fidelitywise and so this double version feels like a relic of that.

The 3DS version looked more like the DQ7 remake on the top screen, and the bottom screen was the 2D version most likely akin to the Switch 2D version. This is actually the version I would have preferred to play, even over the switch version.

I started the demo, and unfortunately you could only pick 3D (2D option greyed out). What was interesting is that it asked you to pick between them when starting a game, so looks like you can’t switch that on the fly, you’d have to save and restart it in each mode I guess?

The cool thing about 3DS version having both views at once was that there was stuff hidden in the ‘3D’ view based on the perspective, and you could use the bottom screen to view stuff in towns etc that might have been missed.
  • I wouldn’t assume you can’t switch.
  • Oh sorry, I mean switch ‘on the fly’. I think you can only switch at places like the church ( where you save/revive). Or after saving your game, exiting, then reloading your save and then selecting 2D/3D.
  • Also I don’t think the demo actually carries the save over...

It seems it does.
  • Andy wrote:
    Also I don’t think the demo actually carries the save over...

It seems it does.

You’re right, it totally does! I thought it just transferred to unlock stuff in smash brothers, but it does both. Cool!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    SPACE HARRIER
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Touryst

Has this been mentioned because this looks great.

Feels very Zelda. Could be a load of rubbish. Hopefully not.

https://youtu.be/lSQD5xJeXpk
  • Gosh, that looks perfect.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You can tell it’s been made with a lot of love and craft. I just hope the underlying gameplay mechanics around the boss fights and puzzles holds up to what I want it to be.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Were people wondering how much Torchlight 2 would be? It's $19,99 according to the coming soon section.

On sale is Transistor for $3,99 and Bastion is on sale here too.
    X-Onic or something (rhythm game) is marked down 97% so $0,89. No idea if any of these are in the EU as well.

Any recommendations for local co op games that are playable with the joy cons? Was thinking of grabbing something for the flight to the EU, how's Cuphead 2p? Any of the shmups good for this? Would prefer if they're fun single player as well, as B will probably get bored of it.
  • I was wondering about the Torchlight price, so thanking ye.

Local co-op joycon games...Overcooked is the one me and the missus play, then there’s Mario X Rabbids, Mario Party, 1-2 switch and Just Dance. I know there’s many, many more, but those are the ones the wife likes.
  • Ah, no 2d mode on the dq xi demo apparently.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Switch game deals (taken from Reset Era):

Argos
    Results for shop switch bogof deals
    Get set for shop switch bogof deals at Argos. Same Day delivery 7 days a week £3.95, or fast store collection.
    https://www.argos.co.uk/list/shop-switch-bogof-deals/

Argos Ebay
    Buy 1, get 1 at 50% off (add 2 to basket) - on selected Switch games - eBay Argos
    Shop great deals - Buy 1, get 1 at 50% off (add 2 to basket) - on selected Switch games - eBay Argos
    www.ebay.co.uk

Game
    Buy One Get One Half Price on Switch Games | GAME
    https://www.game.co.uk/en/deals/offer-4/

List of games seem to be:

Mario Tennis Aces
    Pokken Tournament DX
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    Yoshi Crafted World
    Dragon Quest Builders 2
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Super Mario Party
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee
    Splatoon 2
    Super Mario Maker 2
    Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!