Nintendo Switch
  • Tried the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games demo. As expected the event quality seems set to random. Archery is good and I quite enjoyed both retro events, but karate and surfing from the main section were awful. I like mashing buttons for these things, so motion controls went in the bin early on, but only having one button for the run input is just silly. I like Olympic games for mp but I haven't played one that grabbed me for close to twenty years now. An Athlete Kings rerelease would instantly trump this.
  • Nah, still believe a pro switch will be with us in 2020

So what features does a Pro Switch offer that’s currently missing from one of the other models, that wouldn’t be more appropriate in their next gen of consoles/handhelds?

• Also finally unwrapped my copy of Link's Awakening. I'm still waiting for a patch to play myself, so I'm currently watching my daughter wander around. I absolutely despise the soft focus smudging that frames the action, it just looks like the corners of the screen need a wipe. Curmudgeon mode on today I guess, but that particular design choice is an affront to my eyes.
  • I’m going to wait till after Christmas for links awakening and for Luigi 3
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Also finally unwrapped my copy of Link's Awakening. I'm still waiting for a patch to play myself, so I'm currently watching my daughter wander around. I absolutely despise the soft focus smudging that frames the action, it just looks like the corners of the screen need a wipe. Curmudgeon mode on today I guess, but that particular design choice is an affront to my eyes.
    You'll barely notice it after a while. And it's a good visual representation of the game's main theme.

Why are you waiting for a patch BTW?
  • Alien Isolation coming Switch
  • @Jon I'm hopeful that they'll patch out the framerate hiccups. I have a slightly unreasonable issue with games that punch above their weight visually and from what I've read from numerous sources it stutters quite a bit in places, especially undocked. I could make do and carry on, but with so much else to play I'm waiting for a perfect first LA experience with no peas under the mattress. I'd dive in if I was less hopeful about the overall quality elsewhere, but I've been meaning to play it since the 90s.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Today I am going to trade as much as possible to get ring fit adventure and not be a fat POS.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    @Jon I'm hopeful that they'll patch out the framerate hiccups. I have a slightly unreasonable issue with games that punch above their weight visually and from what I've read from numerous sources it stutters quite a bit in places, especially undocked. I could make do and carry on, but with so much else to play I'm waiting for a perfect first LA experience with no peas under the mattress. I'd dive in if I was less hopeful about the overall quality elsewhere, but I've been meaning to play it since the 90s.
    Docked it's virtually nothing. A judder for a second when you move into a new area and that's it. Slightly worse undocked, perhaps, but not enough to spoil anything.

If there's a patch due soon, then may as well wait, I guess. But otherwise don't bother.
  • Related, I notice that Bloodstained got a big patch on Switch this week, aiming to deal with its apparently poor performance. So if anyone's been waiting to play it, now might be the time.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Nah, still believe a pro switch will be with us in 2020

So what features does a Pro Switch offer that’s currently missing from one of the other models, that wouldn’t be more appropriate in their next gen of consoles/handhelds?

Direct HDMI out, massive battery improvement, Bluetooth headphone support, improved performance
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I felt like the frame rate stuff was over stated.
  • JonB wrote:
    Related, I notice that Bloodstained got a big patch on Switch this week, aiming to deal with its apparently poor performance. So if anyone's been waiting to play it, now might be the time.

I've been playing it last few weeks and not noticed anything in regards to poor performance and ive got 60% of the map done. May have a look at the patch notes
  • JonB wrote:
    Related, I notice that Bloodstained got a big patch on Switch this week, aiming to deal with its apparently poor performance. So if anyone's been waiting to play it, now might be the time.

I've been playing it last few weeks and not noticed anything in regards to poor performance and ive got 60% of the map done. May have a look at the patch notes
  • Omg omg omg 19th november. I love Bubble Bobble and its 4 player as well.

Bubble Bobble 4 Friends

https://youtu.be/Xzum8sMs98M

Edit: tight so and so's, could have included a few more bubble bobble sequels in the package.
  • Been playing Kirby Clash a bit with the boy. Went online to download some NPCs and regmcfly appeared in an outfit that Elton John would be proud of.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Syph79 wrote:

Direct HDMI out, massive battery improvement, Bluetooth headphone support, improved performance

The newer version has a 50% battery boost over the first model. It’s unlikely they’ll squeeze anymore out of it - especially if you’re looking for a performance boost too.

Direct HDMI doesn’t feel like a think Nintendo would do, considering they already have a solution in place via the dock (or third-party dock alternatives).

In terms of performance, I still think that it’ll be Switch 2 (or whatever comes next), not Switch 1.5 or Pro.

• The Daddy wrote:
    Been playing Kirby Clash a bit with the boy. Went online to download some NPCs and regmcfly appeared in an outfit that Elton John would be proud of.

In the game, or inside your home?
  • We didn’t let him in. He’s outside in the bushes, peering at us through star shaped specs.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    The newer version has a 50% battery boost over the first model. It’s unlikely they’ll squeeze anymore out of it - especially if you’re looking for a performance boost too. Direct HDMI doesn’t feel like a think Nintendo would do, considering they already have a solution in place via the dock (or third-party dock alternatives). In terms of performance, I still think that it’ll be Switch 2 (or whatever comes next), not Switch 1.5 or Pro.

Quite an assumption that performance / battery wont be improved.
    Why does a direct TV out not "feel" like something Nintendo would do?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Quite an assumption that performance / battery wont be improved. Why does a direct TV out not "feel" like something Nintendo would do?

They've just gone through the process of improving the battery - by using a more modern/efficient version of the standard Switch CPU, while keeping the battery capacity the same. If they put a more powerful CPU in there to improve performance then the strain will be higher, and you'll lose out on the battery side. They'd need to put a bigger battery in then, when it's already a reasonable size. For comparison, the latest iPhone has a 3,110 mAh battery and the Switch has a 4,310 mAh battery. It should run for 4.5 to 9 hours, which isn't something that really needs to be improved on in my view.

In terms of direct TV, when you dock a Switch, it takes in more power and unlocks higher clock speeds - so that the 720p resolution of the handheld can be boosted to bigger resolutions for TV screens (in theory). You can't access those clock speeds in handheld without running custom firmware. For Nintendo to do direct TV, they'd need to be happy that holding the Switch is a safe for the higher clock speeds - taking into account both the system ventilation and also the impact on battery performance (which isn't an issue when docked). Nintendo have obviously decided against direct TV in the past and designed the dock on the basis. I can't see them going back on that now.

I'm not saying that these aren't things they'll look at in the future, but I do think they'd be more likely in a wholesale Switch revision (i.e. Switch 2), rather than a Pro or 1.5 version.
  • Do we think they'll make a direct sequel? Are we saying that Nintendo aren't going to make another home console just hybrids now? Given who poorly the Wii U did after the Wii?
    The Forum Herald™
  • That's a given isn't it?

So long as they make the new one backwards compatible like the Game Boy line and digitally like Xbox, I'll be happy.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • If they can do a new one with enough under the hood to run the prettier base PS4/Bone level games (as they'd perform on said consoles, not stripped down, round of applause for effort ports) then continuing with the hybrid model works perfectly for me.  Most of Nintendo's games don't need to look much better than the upper limits of the Switch spec imo, and those that could do with extra grunt (Metroid, say) could easily look phenomenal on the current gen consoles.  I expect that'd be enough to keep pace with the majority of indie efforts for a good few years too.
  • Nintendo have knack of making lower spec's look incredible anyway. Luigi's Mansion is a gorgeous game, and it's running on little more than a mobile phone. They've not chased the high-end market for a long time, and they don't really need to.

At the risk of looking like someone who is baiting here, the Switch is on course to overtake Xbox One in the near future, if it hasn't already. I doubt it will catch PS4 in its lifetime, but it's an incredibly successful console that's carved its own niche. The software sales per console are also unprecedented.
  • Surely it's not baiting to state facts. It's the indie scene I'd be more worried about in the coming years than Nintendo's own efforts, if the Switch ploughs ahead as is. I had Odyssey on again the other day, such a gorgeous game (as are and were most Wii U games that have and haven't made the jump).
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Most of Nintendo's games don't need to look much better than the upper limits of the Switch spec imo, and those that could do with extra grunt (Metroid, say) could easily look phenomenal on the current gen consoles.

Whilst I agree, this has been what most have been saying since the Wii to defend Nintendo's lower specs approach. We was all happy with Galaxy until we saw Mario in HD, every gen that passes we just seem to knock everything up a gen.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Syph79 wrote:
    At the risk of looking like someone who is baiting here, the Switch is on course to overtake Xbox One in the near future, if it hasn't already. I doubt it will catch PS4 in its lifetime, but it's an incredibly successful console that's carved its own niche. The software sales per console are also unprecedented.

Its not far off now, only about 3 million behind from latest estimates. It will probably overtake it by Christmas, then the SNES sometime in the new year.

Its highly unlikely to outsell the PS4 though, Sony are another level. When their flop (PS3) outsells Microsofts best ever selling console and only falls about 15 million short of the lightening in the bottle Wii, you know they're a serious force.

Nintendo have done well to seemingly carve out a niche/blur the lines a bit as a handheld/home console. I've always seen the Switch as a handheld personally, but even if that's your stance its well on course to outsell the GBA/3DS which in the current climate is impressive.

The software is a bit of a double edged sword though. All the big flagship titles have been the biggest ever for the most part, Odyssey and BotW being the prime examples. Overall the ratio is the lowest of any Nintendo console though:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/10/nintendo_switch_has_now_sold_41_67_million_units_worldwide_first_switch_lite_totals_revealed

But then again, I'm not sure if all digital sales are counted.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I expect they could do some lovely things with higher specs too. The level of sheen thats been applied to the flagship titles for their past two main consoles has been very pleasing to the eye though.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Surely it's not baiting to state facts.

Sadly, the moment people start making comparisons, it can make some think it’s baiting. All I was trying to say is that the Switch is effectively the second place console now - be it looked at as a handheld or a home console, and at the rate it’s being bought, they really don’t need to mix it up in terms of additional models.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!