Nintendo Switch
  • No it was clearly die hard boners,
    Especially on this bonecentric forum talking shite
    The Forum Herald™
  • Erudite as always Bob, thanks for bursting my strangely optimistic thought bubble on this Monday.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • It’s like the
    M$ it’s not exclusive but it’s not coming to any platform that doesn’t have game pass ..

I mean how would it even work on a third party system? Nintendo pay m$ for
    You to pay m$ for games rather than Nintendo creaming it in selling repackaged wii u games ?
    The Forum Herald™
  • MS would pay Nintendo no? At least during early years. Have I got that massively wrong? Hmm.
  • Or MS put it on Switch at cost, same as with any game, same as putting an app on an App Store like iOS.
  • It’s a subscription service it requires subscribers and content why would
    M$ put it on switch without switch users paying and they’ll have to pay through the infrastructure that exists on switch. Nintendo
    Are going to want a cut of that revenue and m$ are going to want the rest?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Turns out I own 84 switch games

I’ve probably played about 10 of them
    The Forum Herald™
  • Most of the games wouldn't even run on the switch without significant work from the devs of each game. Some of them you just flat out couldn't do. It'll never happen it's pie in the sky.
  • What about cloud tech? Look at Google Stadia.

Theres a few games on the Switch via cloud in Japan, one of which was a PS4/XOne Assassins Creed game, so it can be done.

Not that I think Gamepass on Switch will happen, but technically could it?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It could via streaming control has also
    Come
    To switch via streaming but not for free and to be fair streaming on a portable console seems like a bit of an own goal
    The Forum Herald™
  • They have a cloud service. Eventually I imagine they want game pass on every smart TV or streaming box.

Switch is a bit different from a smart TV though as a rival is involved.
  • I still don't see cloud streaming on the go as a viable gaming option for most people. Especially for console games designed to be played at home. Maybe 5G will change that.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Not before Christmas Eve 2024
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Do you think those Microsoft Gamepass on Switch rumours a while back were actually for the Switch Pro? They were just waiting for a more powerful version to at least play XBox One era games? Would be great to have a Switch Pro with Gamepass also. Or have I been inside too long?

Cell Block Hollis?
  • Have you all seen this yet? Augmented reality Pikmin. https://nianticlabs.com/newappsignup/

Niantic have signed a deal to make Nintendo games on their AR platform. Pikmin’s first up.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Digital Foundry have been pooh-poohing the idea that the upcoming Switch model will have more graphic power as a SKU was added to the Switch firmware that has just the stuff for handling the new OLED screen and nothing else but now new credible rumours are claiming it DOES have extra horsepower and will actually support DLSS, which will be a real game-changer if true.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • poprock wrote:
    Have you all seen this yet? Augmented reality Pikmin. https://nianticlabs.com/newappsignup/ Niantic have signed a deal to make Nintendo games on their AR platform. Pikmin’s first up.

HOLY FUCK I would be all over an AR Pikmin game. 
    My boys would LOVE it!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's actually a stupidly brilliant idea.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Looking at the news again (there was more info on Niantic’s social channels) I think these are going to be mobile games with Nintendo licenses – same as their Pokemon Go was. I’ve probably put it in the wrong thread, eh?

The Pikmin AR game has some sort of activity/exercise angle. Maybe something about a step counter, and getting people outdoors?
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Digital Foundry have been pooh-poohing the idea that the upcoming Switch model will have more graphic power as a SKU was added to the Switch firmware that has just the stuff for handling the new OLED screen and nothing else but now new credible rumours are claiming it DOES have extra horsepower and will actually support DLSS, which will be a real game-changer if true.

They are in a slightly difficult place right now, as they either have to say the Switch is a one off - in console (original SKU) and handheld form (i.e. the Lite) and the develop a successor, or they take an iterative approach.

I'd imagine they would go down the iterative model, but that means that it can't be so advanced that it leaves the other Switch consoles behind, particularly the Lite, which is only 18 months old at this point. 

You'd be pretty pissed off if you'd just bought a Lite and it was on its way to being obsolete in less than two years.

OLED uses less power than LCD, so there's got to be some capacity to push the battery further on the CPU/GPU side. I would expect it to more powerful, I just don't know how much more it can be at this point.
  • Frosty wrote:
    They have a cloud service. Eventually I imagine they want game pass on every smart TV or streaming box.

Switch is a bit different from a smart TV though as a rival is involved.

Would they be a rival if Gamepass became so successful that MS no longer need to release XBoxes though?

I could see MS dropping out of the console race, not because of not selling enough, but because they will be the first to fully embrace the online sub model.

I could see them going from 3rd place in console sales to the Netflix of gaming with Gamepass, leaving Sony and Nintendo scratching their heads.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    In portable mode it only needs to be sufficiently powerful to run games at 720p consistently instead of most stuff being sub-native. I think if it can upscale 1080p to an acceptable-looking 4K image using DLSS then that's also fine. I'd be happy with a modest resolution boost plus DLSS.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    When I mentioned DLSS or a version of it for the PS5 and Series X it was met with hoots of derision from the PC crowd. Now we're talking about it in a handheld?

Would be great if true, especially if they can release stuff like BotW2 on the bog standard Switch. Then the Switch Pro just uses the same game with added DLSS magic to get the boost. I don't want to have to buy another console to play a couple of games so if I can just enjoy it in 1080p (or whatever resolution BotW currently runs at) then that's what I'll do
  • DLSS is proprietry Nvidia while AMD are miles off doing anything close to it. With NVidias only in into the console space being Nintendo they have an incentive to do a good effort there.
  • I could see MS dropping out of the console race, not because of not selling enough, but because they will be the first to fully embrace the online sub model. I could see them going from 3rd place in console sales to the Netflix of gaming with Gamepass, leaving Sony and Nintendo scratching their heads.

This is the way. I’ll be amazed if it’s not.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    IIRC for DLSS to be most effective you need a render resolution of 1080p or more so you'd really need a power boost to get the Switch hitting its historical native resolutions of 720p portable and 1080p docked. BOTW currently runs at 900p apparently.
  • Having games that are already using dynamic resolutions, like pretty much all Switch software, will help no doubt.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    DLSS is proprietry Nvidia while AMD are miles off doing anything close to it. With NVidias only in into the console space being Nintendo they have an incentive to do a good effort there.

I don't keep tabs on PC stuff but a quick Google throws this up and has it down for this year:

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-fsr-fidelity-fx-super-resolution-announcement/

Mentions the potential of it coming to consoles too
  • Regarding MS Gamepass I was thinking it’s a maybe only for new Switch Pro if it has more horsepower.
  • The Stretchers is on sale at the mo (along with plenty of other mutiplayer games). I can't see the discount but it's a quality little game for two.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!